Thread: Disabeling animated main menu background.

Default Disabeling animated main menu background.

As subject says, I want to disable animated background in main menu.

Reasons are:
    - it heats up video card when I am not even playing
    - I suspect it to be cause of long loading times after battle in multiplayer

Default Re: Disabeling animated main menu background.

There not alot that can do for that background moving, but all i could give is this link which may help http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=486474
    superghostboy, helps gets performance smooth and reduce alot of graphic vram... maybe this'll be your kind.. but i hope it works for you

I am using that mod and it helps a little, thank you.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

No offence but your GPU must be pants if it has that much of an effect

CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    CPU Code Name Wolfdale

I'm not sure if the animated background can be stopped. From what I've seen, it loads up a game map and cycles a camera around it. I don't think there is a way to make it load a still image.

Yes, it seems like nothing can be done. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.

Icon3 Re: Disabeling animated main menu background.

Quote Originally Posted by zaript View Post
    Yes, it seems like nothing can be done. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.
    What is possible with a mod that could be made to run only the animated main menu background on low graphic settings! With Low Settings I mean that grass/trees running on low settings!

Good Idea or not?

That might actually be helpful, if it doesn't require too much work, since it seems not many people as bothered, as I am.
    But I have seem some threads from people, who got video card overheat problems, so such a mod might help them too.

Icon2 Re: Disabeling animated main menu background.

That might actually be helpful, if it doesn't require too much work, since it seems not many people as bothered, as I am.
    But I have seem some threads from people, who got video card overheat problems, so such a mod might help them too.
    You can test this is a quick mod! Not tested much! The Main Menu background was since Shogun 2 released the texture was used from default folder like you see inside my .pack! Not sure if Fall of the Samuri background work different?

I don't had time to test much just build a pack file! You can open the terrain.pack and extract the complete default folder! Then use the 0 kb .dds from my Shogun 2 Pre Alpha Mod to disable the texture or you made a backup from terrain.pack and delete the default folder to see what happen!

I will make sure to test it, when I get back from my trip. Thank you for your work!

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Alternatively, it is actually possible to edit the xml file dictating the camera action, and instruct it to slow down, hold still, etc. The file even features a brief instruction on how to do it within it's header. I believe the latest xml is located in patch_16.pack as of this reply late Dec 2012. Patches beyond 24 might have newer ones. Go for the most recent to tweak.

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    CPU Code Name Wolfdale
    That's your CPU, not GPU. Unless you have a crappy CPU cooler or overclocking, you wont hear the jet engine sound. My guess is you're running a GTX400-500 series card then. I have 3 GTX470 cards and yes it sometimes does this, but I don't know why it's bothersome. How long do you sit on the main menu screen?

Anyhow, the fix is easy. Your video card is working too hard by trying to push as many FPS out as possible. This will happen even when you're gaming. If you've ever used FRAPs, you'll see the main screen shoot up to over 100 FPS.

What Video Card Manufactures Don't Want You to Know!

In every game, you WANT VSync. If VSync worked like it's suppose to, it would actually be to everyone's benefit. Have you ever played a game and you spin the camera angle around and everything slows down? Well that's because you're not using a Frame Rate Limiter, essentially VSync. VSync is set at 60 FPS. Any horse power that would be used to get higher than 60 FPS will be saved for when the FPS drops below 60 FPS. In theory this all works great. But how many games have you owned that AVERAGED anything over 60 FPS? I can't think of one time I've averaged 60 FPS other than old games. The problem is that VSync set at 60 FPS is way too high and the adaptive VSync is a joke.

Video card manufactures want you to think that if you're not averaging over 60 FPS, then you need to buy another video card. This their deceptive thinking behind closed doors. How is that almost every new game that comes out you barely average 60 FPS, even with new video cards? It's a big sham.

NVIDIA video cards have a tool called NVIDIA Inspector. Find the game profile and then look for Frame Rate Limiter. Turn on Standard VSync, then set the Frame Rate Limiter to nothing less than 35 (35 FPS). Personally I think VSync's 60 FPS is way too high. Most current games average 30-60 FPS. The human eye can only interpret 30 FPS, but games start to stutter for some reason when Frame Rate Limiter is set to 30 FPS, haven't tried 31-34. VSync has to be enabled for this to work. My picture is probably a bad example because I have it set to Forced off. But make sure it's on Standard VSync.

I don't own an ATI video card so I can't tell you if there's any tools that will take advantage of this. Might be able to find third party software for Frame Rate Limiters, but most of them are for cameras.

Example
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; February 04, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

The human eye can only interpret 30 FPS, but games start to stutter for some reason when Frame Rate Limiter is set to 30 FPS,.
    The reason why you get this stutter because the human eye can actually intepret more then 30 fps. The thing that you need 60 fps may not be true, but the human eye can only interpret 30 fps is completely false . Your eye is, after all, an analog device (as far as we know, it might be a myth sprouted by the movie industry to not push for more frames!).

Honestly, take a look at This and this and be amazed. 30 FPS vs 60 FPS is VERY noticable with fast moving things.

However, you won't actually have a whole lot of fast moving things in Shogun 2, so capping your framerate at 40 is actually a decent idea.

If you have an ATI card, there is a tool called RadeonPro which has a framerate limiter.

Also: Vsync is not really a framerate limiter, it is a buffer to ensure that your video card's output, outputs frames at a rate synchronoues to your monitor's refresh rate. When the video card outputs frames faster then your monitor can get them, you get screen tearing issues. VSync is NOT set to 60 fps, it is set to your monitor's refresh rate. That is usually 60 hz, or 60FPS.
    Ever wonder why it is so high, and not,say, 30 hz? Because, see those links!
    Last edited by Joshua the Bear; February 12, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua the Bear View Post
    The reason why you get this stutter because the human eye can actually intepret more then 30 fps. The thing that you need 60 fps may not be true, but the human eye can only interpret 30 fps is completely false . Your eye is, after all, an analog device (as far as we know, it might be a myth sprouted by the movie industry to not push for more frames!).
    I think you're going a little bit too far with that myth thing- I don't think there's conspiracy to stop movies at 24 fps - it's just a standard that was established and is working, producing believable illusion of movement.
    And to prove both that you're absolutely right in first part of that sentence, and exaggerated in second I have three words: Peter Jackson. Hobbit.

There are experiments with even higher frame rates (BBC made broadcasts with 300 fps as it turns out)

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    I think you're going a little bit too far with that myth thing- I don't think there's conspiracy to stop movies at 24 fps - it's just a standard that was established and is working, producing believable illusion of movement.
    It was mainly in response to the vibe I got from Bad213Boy's post, as he made it sound like 60 fps was actually a myth made up by video card companies.