Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most painful gaming moment?

Default Most painful gaming moment?

The purpose of this thread is to post and discuss your most painful gaming moments.

I'll start.

It's the year 2028. After having established a dynasty at Liverpool, legendary football manager James Bimp is attempting to recreate his succeses at Feyeenord in the Netherlands. The 2027 Eresdivisie was won comfortably and thus Feyenoord got to compete in the 2028 Champions League. Now, the Champions League consists of a group-stage and a knock-out stage. The group stage was brushed aside easily. First knock-out game was against Inter Milan, and we won.

Now, the game decided to reduce my chances of success quite drastically by drawing me against Real Madrid. Our first game at de Kuip (my home ground) ended 2-2, which was not ideal because it means Real Madrid had two away-goals. That means that if we drew in Madrid AND I score less than two goals, they're through. Now, this is just what happened. After 90 minute where my anchorman, Diederik Vanhove, blocked out Reals super-midfield the score was still 0-0 in Madrid. That's when Jesús María, their right-back decided to murder my left-back, Thomas Pasquier inside the penalty-area. This means my team was awarded a penalty. If we scored this we would be through. Rene Egli, a Swiss left-wing, shot hard and wide. Thus ended Feyenoords great european campaign... And the sad part is, since no one really loves the Netherlands, my team might be disassembled this summer as I get epic bids I can't refuse for my players. So this could be the best team I'll have in a while.

So this is my most recent and most painful gaming moment. It's not seeing Garrus accidentaly killed in the Collectors Base, it's Rene Egli missing his most important penalty ever. ****ing ******.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Most painful gaming moment?

My most painful memory came while playing Madden 2003, I was playing a game set to 15 minute quarters so I could rack up insane stats. I can't remember a lot of them but I remember the running back had almost 1,000 yards rushing and my defense had nearly 20 interceptions. I would play a bit, save, and then come back to it until something went wrong and the game wouldn't load ruining the game and my entire franchise mode.

The Enduro Race in Sleeping Dogs:

I tried to beat it, probably a dozen times, and it was such a long race. I'd blow up randomly or get knocked around and miss a turn. Finally, I was going into the finish line after hours of trying it over and over, the game froze, maybe a foot from beating it.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Trying to fly a single long range mission on Rise of Flight without using auto pilot, and x16 ingame speed. My arm on the joystick was hurting so much since the flight took over an hour. xD

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Forza Motorsport 3:
    I was racing in an online competion. I was 3rd, with my BMW and only 6 laps to go.
    Suddenly,the guy behind me tried to overtake me in C10: Totally disaster.
    Because of this accident, we were the last to cross the line.

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I remember trying many times to get some rediculously hard to get DK coin in Donkey Kong Country 3, and just after I got it my sister walked in, said it was time for dinner and turned off the SNES.. >.<
    And I never managed to capture that coin again.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Spending 3 hours on DayZ repairing a car only for some **** to kill after repairing it.

FIFA 02, when my friends would slide tackle my goalkeeper
    Last edited by M D; February 25, 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Playing Skyrim for 400 hours and realising then that it has no depth & lore at all and is way below Morrowind in terms of contemporary quality.

That hurt. Tried to kill it all away.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There's too many to adequately judge which was the most painful but I'd have to say that the one that is a constant annoyance is how shoddy Empire: Total War was and that it was nowhere near to achieving it's true potential but added on to that, due to Empire not being that old and the current anti-gunpowder militancy of the Total War community, it will be a hell of a long time before we can see the time period again.

sickpeople's Avatar Semisalis

Probably in IL2-1946. Playing for immersion reasons without autopilot and time speeding to mission objective. After mission is completed I got a few dogfighting kills and returned back to base. I crashed in landing.

Idiots, Idiots never change.

Getting screwed by the direction of the wind + a few dumb decisions and losing a whole fleet in Empire TW to a much weaker Persian fleet in India.

There are plenty of other fail / painful moments but this is the worst one I remember from the last 3 years.
    Last edited by beckyolt; February 25, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Playing as Ming in EU3 for first 200 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Mass Effect 3's ending for me. Just came totally out of the blue and blew me right out of the water with how it was. The DLC didn't really fix it imho, either.

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Mass Effect 3's ending for me. Just came totally out of the blue and blew me right out of the water with how it was. The DLC didn't really fix it imho, either.
    With the indoctrination theory spinning around, they could take up this abomination and turn it into an midly less poor ending - as it actually made no sense at all in the original one. Citadel is still waiting for release..

Leviathan was fine - better than the Skyrim dlcs - but its just classic money-squeezing.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

kikokyle's Avatar Miles

Only one I can think of off top of head: Playing Madden 09 on top difficulty, it's the AFC championship and I was leading by four points. Like 30 seconds left on clock in 4th. Other team throws a hail Mary. Like the other guy I was trying for interceptions, I got like 7 with one guy and some with others (scores were so close because when I play I try not to mop the team to make it interesting, like in TW I give factions money, etc, so I try to score less). Anyways, of the five guys covering the hail Mary guy that the enemy's quarterback threw to, I go for interception and just my luck, I'm not paying attention, and I don't just miss, but my teammates (the other cornerbacks) run into me and get caught on me. They get touchdown. I am down by three then. Okay that's not bad. Offside kick, I get the ball! Like 5 seconds, no time to get closer, at like 45 yard line, my kickers been great all year I think this was actually the year that I had made every kick every time but not completely sure, I kick and... I hit the yellow goal post. I lose.
    Next year I remember releasing him from my team :-)

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Spent hours in Fallout 3 to find and get my companion Clover back, and then when I was collecting the remains of slavers she went berserker and started to shoot me. I had no choice but to blow her up

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Playing as Ming in EU3 for first 200 years...
    Not as painful as playing the Meso American nations till the west comes.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

In Red Dead, I was on the way back to Marston's house, the song was playing, had a good vibe going, then out of nowhere a ****ing grizzly bear kills my horse then kills me. I was like
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Most painful? Got to be one from my childhood. Playing an archer in Runescape with millions of gold worth of equipment I'd amassed. Busy farming monsters... internet disconnects. When it comes back I find I'm dead and lost everything. Weeks of work... completely annihilated. Don't think anything has compared to that since.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast