Thread: Predatory business

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Predatory business

I feel like this is a bit general but of concern to society in general, everyone from the rich stockbroker but mainly the impoverished fall prey to these thanks to desperation and naivety and impulse and they are parasites and predators.

As a preface let me add. As a recalcitrant pirate I download most of what I watch, yet I do attend the cinema and pay top whack for premium channels. Basically despite my prolific pirate nature I contribute more than most to the media industry, I hope that curtails any diversionary "waagh you are a pirate comments" its just a viewing preference that still may be wrong.

But anywho my wife recently decided she'd like to start watching Sky Atlantic and I'd changed my shifts so there I was in a position to observe it and I start seeing these adverts for cheap loans. Cheap loans with an APR of 3000+% over the last few months I've been marrying that up with the constant call to sell gold, to release equity in mortgages and to sell up your insurance policy (and pay no tax, recent radio 4 investigation proves they are lying utterly all the time and still haven't been prosecuted) and people get £5000 out of a £3000 policy then pay 50% tax on it.

I'm also thinking of internet advertising that quite literally fills some sites that advertises how to get thin "using this one weird trick" or to get girls using this "one weird tip" but it must work otherwise they wouldn't be advertising. You also have the constant slot machine adverts and others that fill unused commercial channel space that are quite literally there to con people, and I don't even touch on legitimate gambling advertisements with the advent of smartphones and tablets are getting to every area of life.

oh lets not forget the claims companies.

I have to wonder if the liberalisation of lending laws, the relaxing of laws on legal claims.

I must indeed, nay I am compelled that all of these practices that so concern me happened under a labour government. But please don't let my villification and accusations of absolute corporatism of a leftist party in the UK take away from a serious topic.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Predatory business

Duplicate thread. Closed.