Thread: Hijacked Symbols in History

Default Hijacked Symbols in History

As everyone knows the swastika is mostly associated with the Nazis in the "Western" world.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What I'm curious about is if you guys know any other similar symbols that have been hijacked. Anyone know of any other ones?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Hijacked Symbols in History

An eagle. Everyone a little bit imperialistic uses it.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    An eagle. Everyone a little bit imperialistic uses it.
    What was it a symbol of?
    The Armenian Issue

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't know, some Tribal Spirit or something. I'm pretty sure it was considered the herald of the Sun or of the Sky in multiple cultures.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

The heraldic cross --> the balkenkreuz maybe? (:

The pentagram was an astrological/mathematical symbol to the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Greeks. Cornelius Agrippa and others posited it as some sort of magic symbol, and it has grown to become some sort of evil sign to some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagr...pean_occultism
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    The pentagram was an astrological/mathematical symbol to the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Greeks. Cornelius Agrippa and others posited it as some sort of magic symbol, and it has grown to become some sort of evil sign to some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagr...pean_occultism
    That's an other good example.
    The Armenian Issue

Hijack or adoption?

The English during the Hundred Years war incorporated the Fleur de lis in the royal coat of arms as a public demonstration to their claim to the French throne. They also adopted St. George's Cross as their national symbol.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Hijacked as in it's meaning is twisted.
    The Armenian Issue

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

It is not exactly a "symbol" but it has been hijacked nevertheless...

Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Logios's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    As everyone knows the swastika is mostly associated with the Nazis in the "Western" world.

What I'm curious about is if you guys know any other similar symbols that have been hijacked. Anyone know of any other ones?
    I agree with you that the nazi use of the swastika is historical grand theft, but there are still lots of people unappreciative to this (hopefully not many in TWC). I reall think you should include some examples the historic cultural use of the swastika symbol in the OP. Here is a bit from the Baalbek temple complex in Lebanon:

But other examples, hmm, I wonder if you could say that the Three Crowns symbol of Sweden was hijacked by the Danish king Christian III leading to the Northern Seven Years War.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Crowns
    This was however claim of land by adoption of a symbol in contemporary use, so a different scenario perhaps.