Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Finally... True Line of Sight! Been wanting this in TW for over a decade :D

Default Re: Finally... True Line of Sight! Been wanting this in TW for over a decade :D

I don't like this...It's going to end up like a really retarded battle I fought in SS where a single battered unit of peasants got out of my Germans' clutches...and vanished in the Hungarian forests.

I ended up looking everywhere for those f%$&@% swine-herders & wasted nearly one hour to drive them out into the open- whereupon it took all of three seconds to butcher them with my heavy infantry.

And now, it's going to be the same thing on a very large scale...

Default Re: Finally... True Line of Sight! Been wanting this in TW for over a decade :D

***SPAM***
    Last edited by Chromium; February 28, 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spam. Clicked twice.

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
    I don't like this...It's going to end up like a really retarded battle I fought in SS where a single battered unit of peasants got out of my Germans' clutches...and vanished in the Hungarian forests.

I ended up looking everywhere for those f%$&@% swine-herders & wasted nearly one hour to drive them out into the open- whereupon it took all of three seconds to butcher them with my heavy infantry.

Not if you attack. If you attack them and they run away, you can just take their baggage train and you win. If you defend, then you win by default, since they haven't managed to do anything Okay, maybe you will need to wait out the end of the battle, but your victory is not in jeopardy. Then again, I think CA could implement some kind of a weighing mechanism, so that you don't have to wait out sixty minutes or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post

Save yourself the trouble and let them run while you go capture their camp. Done, and in half the time.

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Quote Originally Posted by myself View Post
    Well, I also think that adding a realistic line of sight system is a great improvement. It will allow for a lot of new tactics to develop and will enhance the game as a whole.

I however think that one things could become quite annoying. It’s when you know that an enemy is behind a hill or in a particular place because it’s only logical seeing the disposition of the rest of his troops but you can’t see him because you don’t have any unit that has a line of sight. Your ranged units would then become useless as you wouldn’t be able to make use of them. And if you have the ranged advantage but your main battle is somewhat weaker, you would be screwed. That’s why I thing that archers should get a target zone ability, like siege weapons have since Empire. As ammunition is limited, you’d have to be sure that your enemy is really there before using the target zone ability, and on the other hand someone hiding would have to make sure that his troops are well hidden and that his position is not too easy to guess.
    +1 this! Yep yep. Affirmative.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The real question is whether the AI will also have TLoS, or if it's going to be omnipotent yet again.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

I'd guess AI will be forced to pretend having TLoS but still react as in earlier warscape games when targeted even by 'hidden' units. So if you want to preserve the illusion don't actually click in enemy unit as target but on the ground nearby, only later click on the unit when cover is already lost. Although I do wonder if way points and pathfinding will be improved so I can set my cavalry to round a hill with waypoints and they actually obey. So many times in previous TW there seemed to be a max number of waypoints before the unit simply abandoned the next waypoint and marched straight for the final one even if half enemy army stood between.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOuija View Post
    I don't think any mechanic like that is necessary. If the enemy is defending the reverse slope of a hill(which brings its own disadvantages), then your missile units can become flankers. Or they become your reserve waiting to crest the hill for a commanding position as soon as your infantry pushes far enough. Alternatively, the enemy could be bypassed altogether as you head for his camp. As long as you bring a balanced army you should have plenty of options.
    You're probably right. I haven't internalised the new capture the enemy camp concept just yet. But it would actually make sense that if your enemy is camping behind a hill somwhere, then you can just bypass him.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789