Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Tools and Resources]LORD Safety Razor

Default [Tools and Resources]LORD Safety Razor

LORD Premium Safety Razor

Name: Premium Safety Razor - L6
    Make: LORD Razors
    Price: Expect it to set you back anywhere from $5-$15

Somewhere along the line, in the mix of my immigrant ancestors, there had to be a man nicknamed "Thick Beard" and whoever he was, I wound up with his genes. All my youth I've been cursed with an unmanageable dense mass of hair on my head, and when my facial hair finally started filling in, it was just as unruly. From an early age I've been looking for a good method to take out this terrible affliction, and my search has brought me to try almost every method I could think of. First I went to the crappy disposable plastic razors, but they didn't last long and after a week my face would be a bloody mess. So I gradually moved up the ladder. I got a double blade disposable, then a triple disposable, then one with swapping heads, then one with four blades, and one that's name sounded like a spaceship, and electric razors and the free razors that they send you in the mail. Nothing worked, and I just couldn't figure it out. No matter how careful I was, my morning routine would end with me mauling my face. I'd get cuts and burns and ingrown hairs, and then be pissed for the rest of the day. They broke the bank too, those stupid cartridges are about $5 a piece and last for only a few weeks before they get dull. I knew there had to be a better way, but I couldn't figure it out.

Then someone introduced me to safety razors, and as ridiculous as this sounds, they changed my life. I checked the local drug store but they didn't stock them, so I went on Amazon and to my surprise I found one that got decent reviews for only $7, with free shipping: the LORD Premium Safety Razor - L6

Razor on Stand

Shaving with a double edged safety razor is totally different than the plastic garbage that is so popular. For starers, it's a wet shave not a dry shave, and by wet shave I mean more than pouring some warm water over the blades. It works best after a hot shower, with a good brush and some good shaving cream. (A nice menthol or sandalwood cream, not the green synthetic stuff.) What you do is get a nice badger hair brush, soak it in warm water, mix it with the shaving cream to get a nice lather up, and then you shave. Unlike modern razors, the key here is not to apply pressure to the razor. It takes some getting used to at first, but it helps if you hold just the tip of the handle, and then go with the grain down your face. Most of the time going over it once should suffice, but if it doesn't, you lather up and go over again, letting the weight of the razor head cut the whiskers, rather than rip them out. Instead of finding myself dreading getting up in the morning, and sometimes skipping shaving because I didn't want to deal with it, I find myself looking forward to getting up and shaving. And at the end of the day, I find myself feeling better too, now that my face isn't completely destroyed. To me, it was amazing what one small change could do.

LORD Safety Razor

For all of this, I thank the LORD razor. For what I paid (about the price of a 2 or 3 blade plastic disposable razor) I can't speak highly enough of it. The head is weighty, smooth, and just the right angle to get a great shave. The handle is longer than I've seen on other safety razors. As a beginner with safety razors, this is good since the extra length helps keep you from pressing down on it. The handle's also light aluminum, to keep a proper balance with the head. When shaving, it doesn't unscrew like other cheap safety razors, which is a plus. The finish seems to be pretty good so far as well, as I've owned it for a few months and it's still just about as shiny as when I got it. It takes the standard safety razor blades, which last for about a week a piece. The one it comes with is OK, but I bought a pack of 100 Astra ones for $10, and they're working great so far.

Disassembled

Sure there's better razors, with perfect plating and sure some people have complained about the weight distribution being slightly off, or the head threading stripping after changing a lot of blades, but for the price it really is the perfect razor. It's a low risk investment into the world of wet shaving, and it doesn't just provide an adequate shave, it provides a good shave. So if you're just looking to experiment a bit, or use it as an everyday razor, you'll be doing yourself a favor, and I'd buy it again in a split second. Since I started shaving with it (a few months ago) I haven't had a single cut or burn. I went from hating shaving to looking forwards to it in the morning.

LORD Safety Razor

It gives a good shave, which in turn boosts your confidence, and makes you a happier person even before you've had your morning coffee. Why subject yourself to something bad when only a few dollars could start your day off in a great and manly fashion? This is one purchase I do not regret at all.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; February 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Tools and Resources]LORD Safety Razor

Nostalgia hits me right in the face with this one great job Bolk! My dad taught me how to shave myself with a razor like that, not from that brand but similar with regards to the build.

Later I used other shavers due to time constraints, but nowadays I love to shave myself with such a razor again, just starts my day right

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

A review about razors can be better than a review about... super modern cool things. Great.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Great review Bolkonsky.

I am more of a cut throat man myself but it was interesting to hear of your experiences with this safety one.

Added to the Index.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Nostalgia hits me right in the face with this one great job Bolk! My dad taught me how to shave myself with a razor like that, not from that brand but similar with regards to the build.

Later I used other shavers due to time constraints, but nowadays I love to shave myself with such a razor again, just starts my day right
    Thanks. Yeah, it makes way more of a difference than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Great review Bolkonsky.

I am more of a cut throat man myself but it was interesting to hear of your experiences with this safety one.

Added to the Index.
    Thanks! Check them out, you won't regret it!
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

Lucky is the man who can get away with using a Mach 3 disposable razor head for over a year (i think). Only used twice a week though and the occasional week or two break. Wont give a clean down stroke shave like it used to though
    Rinse thoroughly, wipe down the blade with your finger and then with a dry towel (ordinary handtowel). A few taps and done.

Downstroke first then up stroke second. Go easy on the up stroke especially on the moustache/ above lip. It may take a number of runs before you get a clean shave.

I personally probably waste my money on the Mach Fusion Power thing, but it looks shiny and stuff

Nice review Bolk

Nice review.

At the risk of sounding very ignorant, what is the benefit of a straight razor or something like this versus, say, a Gilette Fusion type thing?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Depends. If you find the brush and razor blades, razor length and soap that suit you best, there is next to no better shave -maybe with the exception of a cut-throat razor shave. Thing is, you get to get used to it. Shaving with one of the modern day razors you mentioned is sort of, well, quick and easy and it's a so and so shave. You can have a relatively good result at the end, if your goal is only to have sort of a clean shaven face. That is, if your skin and your facial hair is sort of mainstream.

If you have a more complex skin or facial hair or both or if your goal is not just to have some quick shave but to have more like celebrating your shave, then it's time for safety-razors or cut-throats. Shaving is not just a morning routine, it is an art. It's a ritual a man should enjoy rather than just execute in order to get rid of his facial hair.

But, as said, in contrary to modern day all in one multibladed razors, it's more than just buying the razor and applying the shaving foam onto your skin. Bolk has provided a pretty good impression with his review what such a shave is like. It is a very personal thing and really like a ritual. You make sure the water in your sink is hot enough, you put the razor in it in order to heat the blade up, you take your brush and create the lather, a thik one to make the blade glide perfectly smooth. Then you shave in short strokes with next to no force, just guide the razor over your face. Back in hot water again. A second lather. Shave a second time. Done. Refresh your skin.

You really need to experience it yourself
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 03, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Well there's a few. The first one is tough to describe and Aik's taken a shot at that which is pretty accurate, but it's just the feeling of the shave itself. It's the best, the warm brush and razor and how good your skin feels afterwards simply can't be had by a modern razor. There's also a psychological edge; it is in my opinion one of the most manly things you can do every day in your life. There's something about it that simply makes you happy and confident as opposed to just satisfied.

The other areas of advantage (and it may take some practice before you see these) is the quality of the shave. There's no razor burn, ingrown hairs, or cutting up your face if you do it properly, something that's very tough to eliminate with the multi-blade razors. The gel strips on them always irritated my skin and left me with wicked razor burn every morning, but about a week after switching to the safety razor that was all gone.

Finally there's the price. For eight Gillette Fusion Proglide Mach 8 Illumina Spaceship-etc razor cartridges, it's about $30. They dull quickly on me and don't provide a very good shave. Whereas I can get Astra razor blades to put in my safety razor, each blade lasts me about a week, and a package of 100 only costs me about $9. That's a couple years blades for $9.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Hong Kong is obsessed with the multi-blade razors. I'll find a way to give this thing a try though.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 03, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Cannot beat the price. You'd spend another $15+ for the entry level Merkur. And unless you have a tough beard then the design of the comb shouldn't matter.

I used to buy Derby blades on ebay for $5/100 pack. People have no idea how much money they can save over the pricey mutliblade razors. And with a good soap shaving becomes a pleasant experience. Cannot beat Proraso in the summer.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    Cannot beat the price. You'd spend another $15+ for the entry level Merkur. And unless you have a tough beard then the design of the comb shouldn't matter.

I used to buy Derby blades on ebay for $5/100 pack. People have no idea how much money they can save over the pricey mutliblade razors. And with a good soap shaving becomes a pleasant experience. Cannot beat Proraso in the summer.
    Derby any good? I've got some Astra right now, they're most certainly not the best, but they aren't bad either. I've gotta get a sampler pack at some point. And yeah, I'm using the Proraso sandlewood right now, it both smells and feels great, you get a ton of lather from a tiny bit, too.

I think they are generally thought to be budget blades, like Astra. Never tried the Russian, Astra blades.

The Derby blades are scary sharp. Manufactured in Turkey. But it is either Swedish, Japanese, or UK steel. In particular, Sweden and Japan are known for quality steels.

I only ever used the eucalyptus Proraso which is great on warm days. That sandalwood sounds great. Still hard to find in the states. Have to order online or in a few hard to find boutique stores. But I guess it is all a new formula that removed parabens, etc. Reviews say the new stuff is less drying.

In the winter I use Nomad from C&E. Not the best soap, but I love the smell in the winter.
    Last edited by mrmouth; March 18, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

I might give them a shot then, Astra are sharp but I've got really thick hair.

And yeah, the Proraso seems like it'd be a great summer one. I'm gonna give Nomad a shot though, it seems to get really good reviews. I'm having some fun experimenting with various different ones!

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

I use a Mühle R106 and a Mühle Silvertip Brush.

A bought a mixed bunch of blades and I am currently finishing my Astra Blue's.
    Nice and sharp, I like these. Derby's are less sharp but they are pretty much fool proof after getting used to this method of shaving. I also recommend the German made Souplex or the Elios blades.
    I do not recommend the Gilette Wilkinson Sword blades (made in India where Gilette owns the Wilkinson brand, the latter is knows in the USA as Shick I think).

Unfortunatly I am realy an evening person so I tend to quickly use a cheap electric razor every morning but in the weekends and such I always use the razor. So much more smooth!

I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Cream and I also own Vergulde Hand soap.

Damn, I have a day off today. I will take a shower and shave right now in honour of this review.
    Last edited by Treize; March 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Miss me yet?

Dear lord this thread had me in stitches ...best part "celebrating your shave"

The Gillette Fusion is a total rip. I used the Power version and got a shock from the the handle in the shower.

So I had been wasting my money picking up the 14 pack from Costco for like 40 bucks... but I burn right through them, switched to an economical electric wet dry which really doesn't to do all that great.

Now I've gone back to the Mach3 cheapies to save money.

I will only shave in my shower so this isn't efficient for me otherwise I would try it because I like my head nice and smooth.

Well, you cannot beat an electric for price and convenience/time savings. I bought an expensive ($225) Norelco in 2001 for Afghanistan and beyond (when I thought I would likely be doing back to back deployments) and it lasted me up until this year. It actually still worked but I sold it on ebay for $70 - the price of my new Norelco electric. It also shaves a bit closer. Certainly more than adequate.

So I own an electric for the convenience and low cost. The blades are supposed to be replaced every year for a cost of around $20-35 depending on model. I actually only replaced the blades on the old razor once in the entire 10+ years I owned it. I mean those old blades still cut just fine. Didn't cause any razor burn or anything. Just figured I should replace them. So with how often I use it and previous experience, I plan on replacing these blades sparingly. Maybe once every 3 years.

So the savings over the multi-blade razors is just insane. I feel terrible for people who spend money on those.

I've been meaning to get a good electric for that very reason.

By the way who buys a used Razor over the Internet?

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

I own some really cheap electric razor. It does not give me a close shave. Presentable, yes. But smooth, hell no.

Shaving in the shower.
    You guys have a mirror in the shower?
    Miss me yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast