I love the Drwarves and how regular Dwarven Warriors can make minced meat from almost anythink thrown at them. Having a backbone of some 4-5 of 'em, and aadding a general or two, some Dale cave mercs, 2-3 axethrowers, 3-4 Iron Crossbows, some Halberdiers and 2 Balistas to my stacks pretty much won me the game (the tactical flexibility and the economy leading to a disturbing number of stacks of Rhun running around was a challange, but after a couple of costly field battle victories i figured i'd go at their throat and conquered city after city until i drained the last drop of blood... or last coin fo gold out of them).

So i used very few elites in my campaign. The starting Dragonslayers got to 2 gold chevrons and then i left them Dains Halls until the place was upgraded to retrain 'em. The Vault Wardens i didn't find a use for, since i think Halberds to the job pretty well. The Iron Guards are badass but hard to retratrain, especially in Rhun.

But when it comes to pure elites i think it all comes down to the Dragonslayers and the Guards of Khazad dum. I can't find the time to test this out so i gotta ask if someone has an idea - which one would be generally better and for what purpose? Both are extremly hard to retrain so just think in context of battling Mordor and Harad, since those are the only bad guys left on the block in my game...