Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CA destroying the Total War franchise

Default CA destroying the Total War franchise

And this only because they made the game ing hard to mod, you cant make your own maps like in RTW and M2TW and you cant unlock all factions (because they want to make more money with DLC).

I realy hope Shogun2 will fall far behind the sell expectations, at least with the expansion + DLC so CA will not up the next TW game and make it again more modder friendly like RTW and M2TW.

Shikayama's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: CA destroying the Total War franchise

I am sorry for the modder scene, but I have already to admit I am going to buy probably every ing DLC that CA will serve.
    Not that I like this kind of purchase but to be honest, I have been waiting years for a game like S2TW and now can't wait to get more, almost no matter how.
    Hopefully there will get good mods though some day.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Quote Originally Posted by DCyDe View Post
    And this only because they made the game ing hard to mod, you cant make your own maps like in RTW and M2TW and you cant unlock all factions (because they want to make more money with DLC).

I realy hope Shogun2 will fall far behind the sell expectations, at least with the expansion + DLC so CA will not up the next TW game and make it again more modder friendly like RTW and M2TW.
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEE!!!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEE!!!

I would rage too if I had to be seen in public holding my wife's purse

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Noted, thank you and have a nice day.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Personally , i'm very disappointed that modding has been made so difficult by CA , i'll probably buy the DLC because i can't help it , i love this period too much , however i will not forget that business model choice and if things stay like this (if they don't release mod tools as they promised ) , it's almost sure i will not buy the next TW game , whether it is ROME 2 or anything

The reason is simple : since Rome Total war , the modding community made CA games at least quadruple their lifespan and increased their quality considerably (which indirectly affected the sales and the size of the community on the long term ) . Treating the community and dedicated modders like sheet in the end is not going to bode well with me .

If anything , all the PC games that cannot be modded die a very quick death nowadays ... it's the community that makes the TW games so vibrant and full life , if CA do not acknowledge that then fair enough , it is their property after all , but count me out as future customer .

Be careful what you wish for. If you get your hope you wont get mod-friendly TW games. Instead you wont get any TW games because Sega will spend the development money somewhere else.

THey didnt deliberately make it difficult to mod, the game just isn't based on text files anymore so it's alot harder to mod it, besides we can still create virtually anything by modding the m2tw engine instead.

I will be buying every DLC for s2tw because it just adds to the game and i can't help it.

Mods do spice up the game though so i will probably install a few choice mods too.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    THey didnt deliberately make it difficult to mod, the game just isn't based on text files anymore so it's alot harder to mod it, besides we can still create virtually anything by modding the m2tw engine instead.
    Ohhh ok sorry , i was not aware of that , then i feel much better about this suddenly

So i take back my previous words , as i mistakenly thought it was CA deliberately making modding more difficult , ok sorry for that and thank you for enlighting me

I can't disagreed with OP about the mod scene only with the language. Im very disappointed with the new business model,so disappointed that I don't buy this last game,and that's the only way to make a statement. Here in Portugal in a big store, Worten,i saw the same five games copys in the shelters after a week ,so i have a sense that this game will be a fiasco sells.

InF3sTeD's Avatar Decanus

There might be nobody buying games in Portugal because they are on the verge of bankrupcy. So far the game has sold fairly well from my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DeMolay View Post
    Ohhh ok sorry , i was not aware of that , then i feel much better about this suddenly

So i take back my previous words , as i mistakenly thought it was CA deliberately making modding more difficult , ok sorry for that and thank you for enlighting me
    Yeah, most people complaining about modding being intentionally made impossible don't understand games don't run out of text files and easily-manipulated and widely-understood coding languages anymore and complain devs need to fix the game while complain devs dont take time they could spend fixing the game to make mod tools and related documentary which is almost as great a task as making the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    There might be nobody buying games in Portugal because they are on the verge of bankrupcy. So far the game has sold fairly well from my understanding.
    Quite. Looking at a few stores that have Top 10 sellers on their stands, Shogun 2 is there. Well at least around my area. So my few stores trump one store that doesn't sell.

Basically, you can't use single stores for anything other than it, the store, might not be doing too well, and I stress might.

The criticism will rack up once the post-release euphoria wears off. The same happened with Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

they have destroyed it with the bullshi, arcade joke battles

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    CA don't know it as they sell the game at 50k . They sell 120000 copys in the first week,if this is good or not i don't know,

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Shikayama View Post
    I am sorry for the modder scene, but I have already to admit I am going to buy probably every ing DLC that CA will serve.
    Not that I like this kind of purchase but to be honest, I have been waiting years for a game like S2TW and now can't wait to get more, almost no matter how.
    Hopefully there will get good mods though some day.
    In other words, you're exactly the type of sucker that allows mediocre garbage like DLC to succeed. They'd release one new type of ship and a reskinned unit for $5 and you'd be happy to open your wallet immediately...maybe it's time to really reconsider what is important in life?

Of course CA won't fall behind in sales. Not now, not for their next release.
    But the inability to mod does piss me off.

Decanus

I worked on Rome: Total Realism, and I can tell you quite plainly that RTW was NOT modder-friendly. CA advertised it to the modding community as "The most moddable CA game yet!", a claim that made several prominent MTW-era modders quit modding forever upon buying the game and finding that the claim was utterly false. A HUGE amount of RTW was hardcoded. There were an inane amount of things we were absolutely unable to touch.

If S2TW is worse than RTW in this regard, then yeesh...

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast