Thread: A few thoughts on treasuries and mints

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Default A few thoughts on treasuries and mints

I'm not sure if treasuries were in RTW1, but I do know they were in some mods. I think we should have the option to create treasuries and mints. The main treasury should be in the capital, but there should also be the option to create treasuries in important regions. This would give certain regions more importance (preferably regions with gold mines). It would be nice if we could distribute our factions' assets to different locations so as to limit our financial losses in times of invasion.

Treasuries would be an important target in invasions as it would be difficult for a faction to fight a war without the ability to coin money and they woud also be a source of funds for an invading army.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Default Re: A few thoughts on treasuries and mints

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I'm not sure if treasuries were in RTW1, but I do know they were in some mods. I think we should have the option to create treasuries and mints. The main treasury should be in the capital, but there should also be the option to create treasuries in important regions. This would give certain regions more importance (preferably regions with gold mines). It would be nice if we could distribute our factions' assets to different locations so as to limit our financial losses in times of invasion.

Treasuries would be an important target in invasions as it would be difficult for a faction to fight a war without the ability to coin money and they woud also be a source of funds for an invading army.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    That would be a great addition, though it should be possible to move your treasury if you want it in a more secure location, not just a static building like in some RTW mods.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Mints are an interesting idea but not sure if treasuries could be so easily moved or what benefits/penalties would make sense. Sounds as if you are suggesting that treasuries would be physically located in capitol or other regions and could be captured in addition to the normal loot of a city?

Mints could be interesting depending on how implemented. Available in mine regions for a decent income bonus but player could have the choice to debase coins for higher income bonus which lasts only 20 turns or so and then there is no income bonus at all for another 30 turns, however if player refrains from debasing coins for 50 turns there is also a small trade bonus everywhere the faction trades. I doubt CA will do anything like that an expect mints will simply be perhaps the final mines improvement building or be shown as in Shogun 2.

I really think that whatever buildings CA adds to R2, they shouldn't be of the 'upgradeable' variety, like in Shogun 2, where a market builds into a rice exchange, which builds into a merchants' guild and so on. I do want R2 to be as realistic as possible, not only in the war side, but on the empire-building side, building your state on an almost bureaucratic scale. But I do like the ideas put up here. :]