View Poll Results: Which Dark Lord Was Worse: Mellkor or Sauron

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mellkor/Morgoth

22 64.71%
  • Sauron

12 35.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whom Do You Despise More: Morgoth or Sauron?

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Whom Do You Despise More: Morgoth or Sauron?

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    political correctness gone mad here your not even allowed to despise the bad guys who (alone or together) destroyed the entwives, killed thousands of men , dwarfs and elves enslaved people and that's not forget tried to take over the world multiple times
    It wasn't me trying to be politically correct its just I dont despise either of them :p

If I was living in middle earth I think yes I may despise Sauron or Morgoth depending on the age I lived in.

It could be counter argued who achieved more in which case the victor turned ou to be morgoth in another poll, so in a way melker should be more despised though both are guilty of a lot..

i can understand morogoth. he wanted to create and and rule i can understand that. sauron had a chance to turn from evil during the judgement of the valar and chose to hide. that is unforgivable to me and the continuation of his masters evil also strikes against him for me. he conquered for evil sake not for any ideal

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Warrior View Post
    i can understand morogoth. he wanted to create and and rule i can understand that. sauron had a chance to turn from evil during the judgement of the valar and chose to hide. that is unforgivable to me and the continuation of his masters evil also strikes against him for me. he conquered for evil sake not for any ideal
    Morgoth was (certainly by the end of the First Age) a nihilist whose ultimate goal was to destroy the world. Sauron didn't want to destroy it, he wanted to rule it and order it for his own satisfaction. Morgoth's defeat actually made Sauron's desire for rule and order (which he'd had from the start, but which Morgoth only shared until his descent into nihilism) more achievable than it was when Morgoth was around.

jinjo's Avatar Senator

morgoth was stronger than sauron in my opinion, but morgoth's goal was much more unachievable than sauron's wishes.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Krieglord View Post
    Morgoth was (certainly by the end of the First Age) a nihilist whose ultimate goal was to destroy the world. Sauron didn't want to destroy it, he wanted to rule it and order it for his own satisfaction. Morgoth's defeat actually made Sauron's desire for rule and order (which he'd had from the start, but which Morgoth only shared until his descent into nihilism) more achievable than it was when Morgoth was around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Neither would it under Melkor/Morgoth actually.
    By some reason most are just informed about Myths Transformed; VII; i where Tolkien discuss the destructive nihilistic side of Melkor, but Tolkien developed this and gave Morgoth a much more complex and less mad, destructive character than so (my red and underlining)

Morgoth though locally triumphant had neglected most of Middle-earth during the war; and by it he had in fact been weakened: in power and prestige (he had lost and failed to recover one of the Silmarils), and above all in mind. He had become absorbed in ’kingship’, and though a tyrant of ogre-size and monstrous power, this was a vast fall even from his former wickedness of hate, and his terrible nihilism. He had fallen to like being a tyrant-king with conquered slaves, and vast obedient armies.
    - Morgoth’s Ring; Myths Transformed; VII; ii

Which for the keen eyed obviously is from the same book and sub book, only a few pages later hehe, but as a rule a sadly ignored insight in what Morgoth was up to.
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 24, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliį Alė, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Truth be told, I respect them both more than I despise them. Accomplishing what they did is no easy thing, even by a Vala or a Maia.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Morgoth started all and his goal was total destruction. So i choose him for the "evilest of evil".
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    Morgoth started all and his goal was total destruction. So i choose him for the "evilest of evil".
    By some reason most are just informed about Myths Transformed; VII; i where Tolkien discuss the destructive nihilistic side of Melkor, but Tolkien developed this and gave Morgoth a much more complex and less mad, destructive character than so (my red and underlining)

Morgoth though locally triumphant had neglected most of Middle-earth during the war; and by it he had in fact been weakened: in power and prestige (he had lost and failed to recover one of the Silmarils), and above all in mind. He had become absorbed in ’kingship’, and though a tyrant of ogre-size and monstrous power, this was a vast fall even from his former wickedness of hate, and his terrible nihilism. He had fallen to like being a tyrant-king with conquered slaves, and vast obedient armies.
    - Morgoth’s Ring; Myths Transformed; VII; ii

Which for the keen eyed obviously is from the same book and sub book, only a few pages later hehe, but as a rule a sadly ignored insight in what Morgoth was up to.
    (Neat, I've turned into a defence lawyer of Morgoth... )

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliį Alė, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

For shame ...

beginning to think who moderates the moderators was a little more than a story

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

There are stranger things. Like Sauron fangirls.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

megells's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    There are stranger things. Like Sauron fangirls.
    How does that exist

It's all about the eyes.
    Ehm, eye.
    Eye.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Gotta go for Sauron, as I think a deceiver is worse than a tyrant, IMO

of course Sauron tried to copy is master in the end, but he actually did his best as a deceiver (The forging of the one ring, the corruption of Numenor) more than as a warlord (he succeded in destroing Eregion and Arnor, but utterly failed against Gondor and practically lost all the major battles his armies were involved in)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by megells View Post
    How does that exist
    It does.And techincally he is hot.He incinerated Gil Galad after all!Of course they are less prevalent than Maedhros fangirls.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; February 26, 2013 at 05:42 AM.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

well, before the destruction of numenor he could take any form he wished and one of these was fair enough to deceive the elves, so i understand why fangirls would go bersek with him. maybe the fortifications of mordor were just a sophisticated security system to keep them out after all
    Last edited by glassakias; February 28, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

I like both .
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

While I Voted for Morgoth I don't hate them. But I really think that Melkor/Morgoth deserves his fate at the end he only wanted destruction. He tried to corrupt the Music of the Ainur, destroyed the Two Lamps, the Two Trees, Stole the Silmarils , Destroyed many eleven cities including the Mighty Gondolin and Wage War in Beleriand leading to its eventual destruction in the War of Wrath. Indirectly cause the deaths of many elven heroes like Ecthelion, Glorfindel, Fearnor and many more.

He did a lot more!!

Senator

Despise is definitely a strong word. I despise Hitler and the Nazis, because they killed 11 million real life people in camps. I do not feel hate for two fictional characters, whom I find to be infinitely more interesting than the good guys. Plus, I write about them, so i can't really despise that which i would write about.

Maiden_Ante's Avatar Semisalis

As I see it, Sauron is the most evil of the two. Melkor was the... 'founder' of evil, if I dare say, and quite the evil type in his own way. However, seeing as he set out on his own path, being a god-like creature and all, when there was no history of evil to take experience from, he strikes me more of a force of nature rather than some type that deserves despise. Sauron on the other hand, being a second level-player, had more space and time to see the effects of Melkor's decisions and the fact that he not only stayed with Melkor but also continued his evil - taking over the 'Dark Lord numero uno' spot - shows a calculated, power-hungry type that I think deserves the credit of being truly 'evil' more than our dear Morgoth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast