Thread: How to recruit a legion??? (NOT on how to get the reforms and that ****)

Laetus

Default How to recruit a legion??? (NOT on how to get the reforms and that ****)

Greetings...

I've reached the state of the roman campaign when I am able to recruit legionary cohorts, and to my dismay, i came across a problem quite vital to me...

So my question in this topic is... HOW do i recruit a legion? I only get a couple of cohorts to choose from with no real instruction, same with "named and numbered" legions...
    Have I missed something, or am I supposed to compose my own legion of the first cohort, ordinary cohorts, skirmichers and cav? What then, if I make the wrong mix???
    All legions ive seen (picts on this forum) all consist of 10 cohorts 5 cav 4 missile or an artillery piece... and EVERYONE cant think the same, can they?

So, have I missed something??? If I have... what??? Thought there should be some kind of "Legion-button" or a "Legionary recipe"...

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: How to recruit a legion??? (NOT on how to get the reforms and that ****)

If you want to be technical a Roman Legion should consist of heavy infantry cohots, one or two generals and some siege equipment.

Larger groups of cavalry, lighter infantry and skirmshers/archers were found in auxilliary cohorts.

Laetus

Default Re: How to recruit a legion??? (NOT on how to get the reforms and that ****)

So is there no "real legion" that i can recruit? Wasnt that the special thing about the "named and numbered" legions? Or can i have a legion of say 19 legionary cohorts + general...?

And back to the fact that all (ALL) legions ive seen on this forum ("post your battle resault" "show your armys" kind of threads) are identical when it comes to the troop-composition... EVERYONE cant think that that exakt army is the best, can they...

also, is the Evocatii the only roman infantry I can recruit after building the roman fortress and curia hostilia??? the roman legionary cohort disappear when I build it...

I am unsure of how the recruitment works as the Romans as I have never tried them but I think you can recruit different numbers from different settlements so Legio V cohorts/First Cohorts would be in some settlements and Legion VII would be in others.

50% Infantry followed with around 20% archers and 20-% cavalry sems to be the basic legion in most games. It can act effectively in most field battles while also having enough infantry to conduct a siege, people would probably train different units to go up against certain factions like Parthia and Sarmatia but for the most part that set up seems to work best.

Laetus

Indeed numbered first cohort/ordinary cohort are recruited from specific settlements... I just thought after reading about the legions on this forum that there should be a more "strict" legion, that always looked the same concerning inf/cav/art/missile unit mix...

Nope, if you want a First Cohort and an army of skirmishers then feel free to do that. Remember that your starting the game before the Reforms so there is no Legionairy set up as such yet. You can have the official Roman Legion of your empire be whatever you want it to be.

Laetus

Oh, that wasnt what i wanted to hear

thx anyway for the info...

Bcman's Avatar Senator

usually i compose my legions of . one of the eagle units. 9 other of the normal legionary. (They should always be the same type. don't have and 2nd Augusta with a praetorian legion) Then i have my one legate. With 2 auxiliary cav. The rest is either Archers or other allied infantry.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

I use 1 general, 1 first cohor, 9 regural cohorots, 2-4 cavalry, 2-4 skirmishers, and i fill up the rest with native troops. This is (for me atleast)the most flexible set up.

And NEVER mix up different kinds of legions, that's a sin that drives me insane

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

I do the same as above, one 1st cohort, 9 regular cohorts, about 4 auxilia appropriate o the location where I recruited the legion, and about 3 cav 2 archers and my general.

The reason I believe that you thought there was a "Legion recruit" button was because alot of us Roman players like to have historicaly accurate legions so everyones army composition will more then likely look identical.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

I agree with the above, I always prefer to have a realistic army regardless of faction but most of the armies being used by the people here or not an accurate disposition of a Roman Legion, they are closer to what a roman army would look.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

My composition is one eagle (1st) cohort, nine legion cohorts, two archer cohorts, two cavalry alae, four onager batteries and a legate (general). This leaves a space open for whatever is handy or the tactical situation demands, missile cav ala, infantry aux cohort, archer cohort (vs. Parthia esp.). I don't equip auxiliary cohorts with onagers which historically they wouldn't have. Occasionally, I'll give them scorpions altho I don't know if that's historical.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

i use most of the time one 1st,seven legion cohorts,four batavorum(gallorum) auxiliary,three archers,four cav and one general,onlyin the east i use onagers and horse archers to counter the cavalry type of nations. and my main force is always followed by a full auxiliary army of spearman archers and extra cav. dont think thats really historical but i like that sort of army composition