Thread: New Tactical Map Layer Over The Battlefield Map

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default New Tactical Map Layer Over The Battlefield Map

I heard Rumors from Canard PC, a Magazine, that a new Tactical Map Layer will be introduced in Rome 2.
    I know, there's already a Thread about Canard Preview...but I want to focus to this Aspect and Topic alone, so We wont quack about the other things. Can also be seen in Siege of Carthage Gameplay Footage.

This Map basically situated between The Campaign Map and The Battle Map...In Battlefield, we'll be able to Extra Zoom Out, basically giving a stylized Satellite View over R2TW's gigantic Battlemaps...Units will be represented by Icons in That Strategic Map.

I reckon that this will be the new feature to help Players controlling multiple Stacks across the vast Battlefield...The 2 Stack system employed in Shogun , containing 40 Units are already hard to manage...
    I hope in this Map, we can Group Stacks, Units, and assign them into AI-Delegated Generals. Those AI Generals then can be ordered to do simple tasks, such as: Attack, Defend, Scout certain ateas in the Battlefield, using Prescribed Tactics, Stance, or Behavior.
    Perhaps this System may be able to convey requests to Allied AI what the Player want, or giving The Player Information on what The BAI trying to do.

By The Way... this Forum is too quiet lately......And Gameplay System Threads are notoriously harder to keep afloat compared to Trivial Threads...
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; February 23, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Default Re: New Strategic Map Layer Over The Battlefield Mapn

That's the tactical map, you can see it in the Siege of Carthage.

Indefinitely Banned

Yes! Think about The Possibilities The Tactical Map will offer to Us!
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; February 23, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Well they did say the battle maps were going to be 4x bigger than any shogun 2, so I guess it's where that comes into play.

Default Re: New Tactical Map Layer Over The Battlefield Map

i remember reading /hearing that the tactical map was only for global perception, not commanding troops "as we want the player to be right in the visceral action"

however lately i have been reading, mostly from german/pcgameruk that you can now issue orders from the tacmap>?

i do not want this

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a_wizard View Post
    i do not want this
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    I heard Rumors from Canard PC, a Magazine, that a new Tactical Map Layer will be introduced in Rome 2.
    I know, there's already a Thread about Canard Preview...but I want to focus to this Aspect and Topic alone, so We wont quack about the other things. Can also be seen in Siege of Carthage Gameplay Footage.

This Map basically situated between The Campaign Map and The Battle Map...In Battlefield, we'll be able to Extra Zoom Out, basically giving a stylized Satellite View over R2TW's gigantic Battlemaps...Units will be represented by Icons in That Strategic Map.

I reckon that this will be the new feature to help Players controlling multiple Stacks across the vast Battlefield...The 2 Stack system employed in Shogun , containing 40 Units are already hard to manage...
    I hope in this Map, we can Group Stacks, Units, and assign them into AI-Delegated Generals. Those AI Generals then can be ordered to do simple tasks, such as: Attack, Defend, Scout certain ateas in the Battlefield, using Prescribed Tactics, Stance, or Behavior.
    Perhaps this System may be able to convey requests to Allied AI what the Player want, or giving The Player Information on what The BAI trying to do.

By The Way... this Forum is too quiet lately......And Gameplay System Threads are notoriously harder to keep afloat compared to Trivial Threads...
    A couple of things A) I believe they said they didn't want the player controlling it from the tactical layer (sort of making it annoyingly useless for anything other than orienting yourself about the battlefield) and B ) If they would let us use unrestricted Camera it would solve all the problems- We could zoom up to get a better view of the battlefield and control our troops from a comfortable height.

Indefinitely Banned

No, I Did not say that The Player should be able to control Units Directly.
    Players should could only give generalized orders into Pre-grouped AI-Delegated General from Other Stacks.
    Have You seen a 40-Unit UI? Try 60.
    EDIT: New Preview states that CA changed it - They say Players can control from Tactical Map.
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; February 23, 2013 at 08:58 AM.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by a_wizard View Post
    i remember reading /hearing that the tactical map was only for global perception, not commanding troops "as we want the player to be right in the visceral action"

however lately i have been reading, mostly from german/pcgameruk that you can now issue orders from the tacmap>?

i do not want this
    As long as you dont play Multiplayer and you think you can handle 40 troops with the current zoom out you will not be losing anything nor will feel the need to use it...
    Its freaking optional for godsake its like whining about the lighter on a car without smoking or how the bycicle have auxiliary wheels for people that are learning

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

I hope this doesnt mess around with unrestricted cam

If you could control your units through this view, then there'd be no viable reason to play any other way. We'd just end up watching dots kill each other. At least in multiplayer anyway.

Indefinitely Banned

This Commanding Feature should only be for Single Player, I'd say...
    Well, Should be...

Indefinitely Banned

Here's an Screenshot...

ErgoSumm's Avatar Miles

Well if you're going to have such big maps and battles (I'm thinking partly of the scale of what we were shown for Carthage) then the tactical map is just about a must.
    Up there, above that line, is pure, unadulterated idiocy.

"May My Faulty Logic Undermine Your Entire Philosophy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wothan View Post
    As long as you dont play Multiplayer and you think you can handle 40 troops with the current zoom out you will not be losing anything nor will feel the need to use it...
    Its freaking optional for godsake its like whining about the lighter on a car without smoking or how the bycicle have auxiliary wheels for people that are learning
    Sorry but where are u from NEVER heard of them called auxiliary wheels lol. We call them training wheels in the states. IDKW but that **** is just damn funny 2 me.

Quote Originally Posted by pureRTS View Post
    If you could control your units through this view, then there'd be no viable reason to play any other way. We'd just end up watching dots kill each other. At least in multiplayer anyway.
    this is the reason why i was worried, you would be forced to use the unit ordering part in multiplayer to keep a competitive advantage. which would make total war battle of the blobs. As going out of the tacmap more than when absolutely required would put you at a greater disadvantage.

it's a cool feature, but it overshadowseverything else if you can actually COMMAND things from it.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Yes! Think about The Possibilities The Tactical Map will offer to Us!
    At the risk to be a little redundant I think the possibilities offered by this system will remain limited as long as battles are so quick.