Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Female kicker to break NFL gender barrier

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Female kicker to break NFL gender barrier

NFL level they are typically only used for kicking. College and Highschool level you may have a dual threat kicker. We had a pair of twins in my grade: one was a kicker and a running back while the other was the quarterback and a running back (when he wasn't playing QB). Typically they were used for kick returns.

Only reason they didn't get much into college ball was because they were shorter than average for their respective positions besides runningback at 5'7" each.

Anyway, so this was all a publicity stunt? Shamefur dispray, that is.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

jukeness's Avatar Domesticus

What a bunch of crap. **** this *****, she is a joke.

She did far more harm than good for the league. If Hnida gets healthy by next year they should give her a workout at one of these. At least she can actually kick.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Trust me. The NFL wants players that can compete. If a hypothetical woman could compete at the same level as the average NFL player, every team would be all over her, for publicity reasons if nothing else.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frozenprince View Post
    Occasionally they're the 4th string "emergency" QB. But most kickers and punters are specialty players. Important specialty players, but specialty players.
    Teams typically have only two players designated as QB for any given game. If a team as a "3rd" string QB, they are generally part of the practice squad. Therefore in the event, if both the starting QB and the back- up QB are injured the QB duties would fall to just about anyone that may have QB experience either or both the collegiate and high school level. Typically, these players tend to be Running backs, receivers, and occasionally defensive backs. many of players may have been recruited out of HS as QBs, but once they made it to campus they didn't the ability to compete for the position, so they switch to another position. They are a few QBs in high school that also double as punters. It is, however, more common to have a QB that can punt, rather than punter that can play QB. George Blanda was the exception- he was not only a great kicker, but a good QB as well. It is rare to have placekickers be anything, but place kickers.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It's not really rare for a team to have 3 qbs on the 52 man roster, usually only 2 are active though.

The Panthers have Cam "Ace Boogie" Newton, Derrick "I take this ****** serious" Anderson, and Jimmy "pickles" Clausen on the active roster.

And they also have Armanti "I'm only here because I'm a living legend to a large part of the state" Edwards who is a WR but played QB in college.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

My Bills have the retard Harvard grad, Tavaris "I sucked with Adrian peterson" Jackson, and Brad Smith.

Oh, yeah, and this guy.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    It's not really rare for a team to have 3 qbs on the 52 man roster, usually only 2 are active though.

The Panthers have Cam "Ace Boogie" Newton, Derrick "I take this ****** serious" Anderson, and Jimmy "pickles" Clausen on the active roster.

And they also have Armanti "I'm only here because I'm a living legend to a large part of the state" Edwards who is a WR but played QB in college.
    Yes, I would say that it is.

Each week every NFL is allowed to name 45 players has part of their active roster for the game. They are also allowed to name a 3rd string QB- which means only 7 are not active for the game.

To be clear:
    53 players are under contract
    45 are named each week to the active roster for that game.
    Teams are allowed to have up 8 men on their practice squad.

League rules allow you to freely move players back and forth on the active roster. However, if they were to move a practice player to the 53 man roster, then the player must pass through waivers.

Tertiary glance, 21 out of the 32 teams in the league last year carried three pure QB's on their rosters.

So it's really not all that rare either.

I think the 3rd QB rule change is helping more teams carry those 3rd "developmental" guys.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenprince View Post
    Tertiary glance, 21 out of the 32 teams in the league last year carried three pure QB's on their rosters.

So it's really not all that rare either.
    This has never been a dispute in this thread. As I stated, it is rare for teams to carry 3 QBs on their ACTIVE rosters, not their 53 man rosters.
    A side issue was the number of players who would "double" playing as a kicker and as an emerging QB.

The Saints are the exception to the rule. We only had two QBs on our 53 man roster and one on the practice squad. We were force into the situation due to the number of injuries (exceptionally talented) to our RB corps. I honestly forgot who was our designated "3rd" string QB if it were to come to that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123