Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Female kicker to break NFL gender barrier

Default Re: Female kicker to break NFL gender barrier

Some videos if paralyzing hits- they are rare in the NFL
    They are more common in High school due to poor tackling technique. In fact the LeGrand tackle is also poor technique- you supposed to see your target.

Mike Utley
    No video found, but it took place on an offensive play.

Darryl Stingley
    Darryl Stingley (WARNING: graphic- horrible injury)

At the time this was a legal hit; It is now illegal to hit a "defenseless" player in the head

Eric LeGrande (Rutgers) (WARNING: graphic- horrible injury)
    Eric LeGrande (Rutgers)

A more realistic tackle by a kicker

A more realistic tackle by a kicker
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 01, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

If females can take all the strain and pain of the game I have no problem with it. If she can kick better than the guys, good for her...let her. But if she can't take the physical part (even kickers sometimes get hit) it will be a big problem.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I am sure NFL wives and girlfriends are at a much higher risk of getting roughed up than a female kicker. As long as she doesn't date a teammate she will be safe.

In 2012 there were a string of veteran place kickers who had bad seasons. If she does well in these early tryouts she has a good shot of playing for a team in the pre-season. She'd have to do exceptionally well to make a final roster though. Having a back-up place kicker is rare (teams usually use the punter in an emergency and hire someone off the street for the next game), and most teams are quite conservative about their place kickers, erring on the side of experience.

jukeness's Avatar Domesticus

No team is going to draft a woman, it's not going to happen. A lady in a locker room with a bunch of men might not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeness View Post
    No team is going to draft a woman, it's not going to happen. A lady in a locker room with a bunch of men might not work out.
    Some shenanigans in the locker room didn't seem to hurt the performance of Penn States Football team.
    Last edited by Sphere; March 01, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

She will have her own locker area/room. I could see the refs calling roughing the kicker more frequently if she were to play.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4sBxDn7QTk

I know it's a bit off topic - but these rugby girls are no the chunks of old. I've played a lot of high level sevens and seen some of the elite female teams play after we finished our game and they are ripped and muscular athletes. Certainly not push overs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Some shenanigans in the locker room didn't seem to hurt the performance of Penn States Football team.

I really don't think that possible issues in the locker room is going to be a deciding factor on whether or not a female makes an NFL team. GMs and Coaches repeatedly state that they will choose the best players that they think will help their team win. However, as I stated earlier and someone else echoed, the front office is very conservative when it comes to their kickers. A young kicker has to really outperform an old vet to make the team. This makes sense if you consider the number of times a kicker is relied on to either win or tie a game.

This is for Sharpe
    Ladies (Lingerie) Football League (Not suitable for members under 14)

The Best line: don't treat us like ladies, treat us like football players
    hum- you are half naked playing tackle football? Its ashamed that women have to be half naked to be interesting.

Here is REAL American football
    Women's Indepenedent Football League

One thing that will stick out is the execution. The running back also makes good decisions- if a man, probably a 1000 yard rusher.
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 01, 2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Evidently I know how to take it off, but not spell it

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

LOL - How have I never seen the LFL before?! Slightly degrading at all? Just bikinis and body armour.

Ah 'Murica.

EDIT: How are you guys embedding youtube videos? I can't seem to do it.
    Last edited by Sharpe; March 01, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    LOL - How have I never seen the LFL before?! Slightly degrading at all? Just bikinis and body armour.

Ah 'Murica.

You have to use Freedom.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Which button is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post

Ah 'Murica.

After clicking reply, click on "Go Advance" You will see the image below

The You Tube address will be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venzPNvge18
    All you need is the part after the equal sign: venzPNvge18
    Highlight this part and click on the circle image above. Make sure there is no space between the code and the number

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Thanks again! Bit of a hero.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Revenge of the brittle girl bones.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

So what happens if they want to attempt a fake fg?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Apparently she failed quite miserably.

She only made two kicks and those were 19 and 13 yards. She was also unwilling to tell how far she was able to kick on training but claimed that she had strained her thigh before the try out.

So apparently she is injury prone, 28 years old and may choke under pressure. So I doubt we will see her in the NFL.

It was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Apperently she's never ACTUALLY kicked a football in her life.

The only real female kicker in pro football called her terrible.

What Hnida didn't see was the 20-second period before the kick in which Silberman couldn't figure out how to stand the ball on the tee without it falling. Hnida fell silent on the other end of the phone when told that.Hnida, who is battling back from a blood clot that put her Arena League career on hold, also didn't see the awkward nine steps backward and five steps sideways Silberman made as she lined up 6 yards behind the ball instead of the standard approach from 10 or more yards.
    Three kickers who tried out along with Silberman on Sunday said the former MIT student asked a few of them how to approach the ball on the kick. The kickers spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because they didn't want to hurt their chances of getting another tryout with a team.
    Silberman's technique, as Hnida noted, was terrible.
    Silberman took no warm-up kicks, saying she was nursing her injury – which combine officials said they had no idea she'd suffered. But even as she jogged awkwardly toward an empty tee, it was clear her kicks were going to be dreadful – quad pull or no quad pull.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rible/1961559/

The barrier has already been broken. I think we'll see a female kicker someday, but it sure as hell won't be a 28 year old who's never kicked a football.
    Last edited by frozenprince; March 05, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

So does a kicker literally only come on the field for kicks?
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    So does a kicker literally only come on the field for kicks?
    I think George Blanda was the last "kicker" to play another position on the field. He was drafted as a place kicker and quarterback. He even briefly played linebacker. He is the only player in four decades. He started playing the 1950s and didn't retire until the 70s. When he first started playing, players were not as specialized as they are now. Now, even Defensive lineman are broken down by techniques of preference (e.g. 1 or 2 gap technique).

Occasionally they're the 4th string "emergency" QB. But most kickers and punters are specialty players. Important specialty players, but specialty players.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast