Thread: Edu changes

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Edu changes

Greetings! First of all I would like to thank you for this amazing mod! Now..about the edu. I want to play with fewer stacks but the different edu files are rather confusing.
    The ''fewer stacks, default length battles'' folder includes only a ''play_rome'' folder with an edu file.
    Is this supposed to be used for all campaigns, not just Rome, and should I paste it in the Rome Total War/ data folder?!?

Edit: No matter where I paste the file it causes a ctd at the start. Now what would I need to do to play with fewer stacks?!?
    Last edited by Elianus; March 20, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Default Re: Edu changes

Anyone?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    .............Edit: No matter where I paste the file it causes a ctd at the start.........
    To be fair I've never tried any of the 'Option EDUs' and others may be able to jump in if they have more information - but I have updated and over-written EDUs all the time with no problem at all.

Firstly, if you are playing a discrete campaign (Like 'Roman One Turn') there is a discrete sub-folder to match which will have it's own EDU in a matching 'data' sub-sub-folder. This is the one that will need to be over-written (making sure you keep a copy of what you're replacing).

When you have over-written that one, or indeed modified any similar files, you need to 'Delete All Maps .rwm' using the Launcher before you re-start, otherwise the program won't realise you've changed something. That is most likely the cause of the CTDs.

When changing units (like with EDU) it is also best not to have any in your build queues as you do it, for this too could be a problem. So empty the queues before updating if simply deleting the maps doesn't work.

If neither work, then I'd recommend posting in the Tech Forum.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Thank you for your reply, kind sir. I have already tried deleting the maps.rwm but I still get a ctd. I am playing as Macedon and the folder does not have its own edu so I assume that any changes are to be made in the main data folder.
    As I said I find it weird that there is only a roman one turn folder in the fewer stacks, default length battles folder. Am I to assume that it works only for the romans?
    Last edited by Elianus; March 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you for your reply, kind sir. I have already tried deleting the maps.rwm but I still get a ctd. I am playing as Macedon and the folder does not have its own edu so I assume that any changes are to be made in the main data folder.
    You are right about which EDU to change then.

As I said I find it weird that there is only a roman one turn folder in the fewer stacks, dedault battles folder. Am I to assume that it works only for the romans?
    Right, like I said, never used them - but have just looked at the sub-folders myself...

My reading is that you can only use them in the campaigns for which they have been written, but all those folders do have a 'data' folder for the default setting - which therefore should/could be used for your Macedon one.

In the main, I believed all the 'Fewer Stacks' options were aimed at the 0turn campaigns, which is why I've not tried them as I don't play 0turn - I'm after more historical and realistic, not just more battles.

Just to check - my 'Fewer stacks, shorter battles' folder has 7 sub-folders, including both 'Play_One_Turn' and a 'Play_Rome_One_Turn' folders. Which campaign are you seeking to modify? And have you tried emptying your recruiting queues first?
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

I am playing Macedon 0 turns. The queues are empty. The ''fewer stacks, default length'' folder only has a play rome folder. I guess it only works for Rome.
    Bah! I think I will start playing one turn campaigns after all. I liked the 0 turns only for the fact that certain factions (Rome) did manage to raise large armies in a short time but the way it works in the game is
    not realistic considering that a stack is supposed to be a scaled version of a real army. Still, thank you for your time and effort.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Greetings! First of all I would like to thank you for this amazing mod! Now..about the edu. I want to play with fewer stacks but the different edu files are rather confusing.
    The ''fewer stacks, default length battles'' folder includes only a ''play_rome'' folder with an edu file.
    Is this supposed to be used for all campaigns, not just Rome, and should I paste it in the Rome Total War/ data folder?!?

Edit: No matter where I paste the file it causes a ctd at the start. Now what would I need to do to play with fewer stacks?!?
    YOUR HARD DRIVE\RS25\Data\_IMPORTANT_STUFF\EDU changes\Fewer stacks, shorter battles\data\THIS ONE

The other "fewer stacks" ones are for Rome only.
    I don't know if it works, never tried it anyway.

Put edu here:
    YOUR HARD DRIVE\RS25\Data\here (replace default one)

All 0-turn EDU files (one exception is Scythia) are the same and are in main DATA directory.
    There are 4 EDU versions total:
    - 0-turn for all
    - 0-turn Rome
    - 1-turn for all
    - 1-turn Rome
    plus Scythia (but it looks like omission).

Thanks, Hanti. There is something else I would like to know. Would it work if I used the edu from the main data folder for the play rome campaign? I just can't stand the weaker Romans

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks, Hanti. There is something else I would like to know. Would it work if I used the edu from the main data folder for the play rome campaign? I just can't stand the weaker Romans
    Yes. But you must use same format (1 turn to 1 turn, 0 turn to 0 turn) or the economy will go wild.
    If you like to play Romans, you can enable Roman campaign in 1-turn EDU for all. There are huge differences in those files:
    - Roman forces in Italy are more numerous
    - No Scipio on Sicily
    - Roman fleet is powerful from the start
    - etc

Yes, you should be able to. My advice would be to not do it - for then you might as well be playing a Vanilla game with a bit of extra flavour and you'll stomp everyone far too easily. No point in playing really...

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

My guess is that Rome campaign EDU might be diferent because of the Roman Rebels faction. If a CTD occurs it will probably be related to that.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    My guess is that Rome campaign EDU might be diferent because of the Roman Rebels faction. If a CTD occurs it will probably be related to that.
    Indeed, it does. An option to play with proper stats would be nice. Am I to assume that the only changes made are in the attack and defence parameters of the infantry? Would I need to change anything else?!?