Thread: Seleucid Pezhetairoi

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Default Seleucid Pezhetairoi

I dont know If I mentioned this, but the Seleucid heavy phalanx looks identical to the Macedonian heavy Phalanx.

I looked at the other factions and the Thracian Pezhetairoi would suit the Seleucid Empire perfectly. Im not a history major or anything, but did the Thracians actually use Pezhetairoi Pikeman? I cant find anything about it, but I think their phalanx model looks like it would fit in better with the Seleucids then the Thracians.

I dont have time to post a screen atm cuz im about to head off to report for duty. But set up a custom battle Thracians vs the Seleucids(this is what I did) and just do a phalanx vs phalanx battle and youll probably see that the Thracian phalanx looks wya more suited for the Seleucids.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Evalation; February 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Seleucid Pezhetairoi

The concept of pikemen in a phalanx was actually developed by the hill tribes in thracian regions. They were used in a flexible manner and not quite like how Phillip II used them and they weren't armed with a sarissa just a very long spear.

As for Thrace it was a Diadochi state at that time so yes they did have Pezhetairoi and had always been heavily influenced by greek culture. Seleucids didn't use many Thracian helmets for their phalanx yet which is why they are portrayed that way whereas Thrace did because they are Thrace. If you have better knowledge than I do please share on subject about why you think that the Thrace skin suits Seleucid better.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I just think the Thracian Phalangites look more badass, I wasnt trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about, because I dont, I just think the Thracian phalanx suits the Seleucids better because the color of the unit with the fleshed out silver looks like it should belong to Seleucia.

I have hardly any knowledge in ancient history besides what ive learned from mods, and the TWC in general. I usually slept through history class in highschool, sooo... honestly im not trying to debate anything lol.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Moderator Emeritus

I also think they look badass haha, I've always loved playing Thrace, a faction not many mods choose to focus on,

I do know what your trying to say in the first message. The Pezhetairoi are one of the few civilized greek looking units that thrace can build so they don't look like they fully fit in to the faction at first glance, that's why I said Thrace was a diadochi state which meant there were many greeks and thracians living together. Preference in recruitment for the phalanx units was given to greeks (hoplites or phalangites) in Diadochi states. So the Pezhetairoi are very likely mixed greek and thracians fighting together. The poorer native thracians look more for lack of a better word wild.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Ah, But will there be something done to kinda make the Seleucid heavy phalanx differ a bit from the Macedonian one?

Id rep you for the above post but it says ur not enabled.

Moderator Emeritus

Alright, I will see what I can do about it
    The AI Workshop Creator