Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most balanced faction

friget234's Avatar Foederatus

Default What is the most balanced faction

I feel like people in lobbies are consistently picking faction counters to my own so I would like to get very good at a balanced faction. By balanced faction I mean one that has a solid chance of success against any faction with perhaps only a small disadvantage. What do you believe would be a good faction to fit this description.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: What is the most balanced faction

seleucids have eveything

Alright how about if the Seleucids are already chosen, who should I be then. Also the Seleucids have poor skirmishing capabilities are they really as close to a balanced faction as is possible.

Rexasaur's Avatar Civis

Most ballanced is hard to tell. Romans all have excellent infantry and great cav, but below average archers, not to mention no phalaxes. Macedon has great phalanxes, great heavy and light cav, and cretians as the best archers, but lack in missile cav. Carthage has arguably the best infantry and deffo the best phalanx (Sacred Band), great heavy and light cav, the best slingers and best missile cav, but no archers.

Those are the three most 'balanced' armies I can think of, but all of them always miss something. The seleucids have epic cav, but lack missile cav and slingers, and have average Phalax and although they have Cohorts, they suck compared to the roman ones.

That's what I think anyway
    -You Can Change The Game, But You Can Never Change The Rules-

Rome Total War Online Motto - Good Hunting. Play with Honour

Thanks for all the input. The other problem is that factions that might otherwise be balanced in terms of game play style like Dacia are so bad that it gets rid of a lot of options

Rexasaur's Avatar Civis

Well, you can win using any faction if you use them right. It's VERY hard to do, but i've been beaten by Numidia and Sycthia before. It just takes skill. This point is that you shouldn't go for all round power in an army (Although 60% of the time it works better), you should play to the strengths of the faction. Sycthia is a horse faction, so take lots of them, and although they have some infantry, don't take any etc.
    -You Can Change The Game, But You Can Never Change The Rules-

Rome Total War Online Motto - Good Hunting. Play with Honour

The problem is when I am chilling in lobby as host waiting for an opponent and I have my faction already picked and my opponent comes in and with 0 shame just picks a direct counter faction (like Greece against Britannia for example)

Foederatus

has to be seludids and maybe then egypt?

Composition is more important than faction I think.

cool thanks for all the advice guys! I have decided to get better at selucids, rome, and macedon.

Miles

I reckon Germania is pretty balanced. It's got great Heavy Infantry, Calvary, Spearmen, and missile units. Although it is quite lacking in artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Army Cheese View Post
    I reckon Germania is pretty balanced. It's got great Heavy Infantry, Calvary, Spearmen, and missile units. Although it is quite lacking in artillery.
    No, just no.

The strength of Germania is its' fear army. However it is pretty weak to any strong infantry (hoplites for example) and archers especially. The berzerkers used to be pretty strong, before the patch where they lowered their hitpoints (it was a while back), then, while they aren't exactly weak now, they aren't as great as they used to be.

The most balanced faction is probably Selucia. They can deploy both legions and phalanx infantry, with normal archers and a variety of heavy cavalry and light cavalry, along with chariots.

~John

I am surprised that no one said Pontus. They have Good Chariots, Fairly Good Phalanx infantry (awesome if upgraded), Great Cavalry, Some Missile cavalry, & archers and siege weapons (which aren't special but average archers and siege weapons are better than none as some factions lack these) and decent religious shrines. They have everything and are my favorite vanilla faction.

Seleucids.

Roman,Seleucid,Macedon,and Carthage

Macedon.

You will recieve a better quality of answers if you would post this in the multiplayer section. Going by your own definition of;

"By balanced faction I mean one that has a solid chance of success against any faction with perhaps only a small disadvantage. What do you believe would be a good faction to fit this description."

, under the most played ruleset of 15k CWB, it would be Egypt, Brittania, Pontus, Seleucids, Roman, Armenia. However each of these factions will have a faction that has a greater chance than yours of beating them in 1v1.

So there is no true "faction with a solid chance of success against any faction, and wherein lies part of the reason why that ruleset has endured to be most popular.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

Thracius's Avatar Tiro

Most all Factions are pretty good and viable, besides maybe Iberians, and Gaul. It's all dependent on what you are going against and how you can build against it, if your faction can balance out. Like if you are going against Parthia or Scythia, 9 times out of 10 they are going to go with a skirmisher strategy, so you are going to need a faction with strong Archers, Heavy infantry/Pikes, and if your faction can't meet that demand then you will have to adapt or choose another one. As previously mentioned the best in terms of balance are Rome/Seleucid/Macedon/Carthage.
    Personally I like Numidia due to it's cheap highly upgradable troops

I think the Seleucid Empire is the most balanced faction. They have phalanxes, light cav, heavy cav, elephants and legionaries. this means you can form your armies as you want them.
    for example if you want a flexible and manoeuverable army, you take an army of legionaries and light cav. if you wish to have a "defensive" army, you recruit phalanxes and some cav (light or heavy) or you could make a combination of the two: phalanxes in the center of your army, legionaries at their flanks and some light and heavy cav to protect their flanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexasaur View Post
    Most ballanced is hard to tell. Romans all have excellent infantry and great cav, but below average archers, not to mention no phalaxes. Macedon has great phalanxes, great heavy and light cav, and cretians as the best archers, but lack in missile cav. Carthage has arguably the best infantry and deffo the best phalanx (Sacred Band), great heavy and light cav, the best slingers and best missile cav, but no archers.

Those are the three most 'balanced' armies I can think of, but all of them always miss something. The seleucids have epic cav, but lack missile cav and slingers, and have average Phalax and although they have Cohorts, they suck compared to the roman ones.

That's what I think anyway
    i don't think that carthage has the best infantry. spartans win against sacred band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast