Thread: Automatons and mechanical-driven puppets of the ancient world

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Automatons and mechanical-driven puppets of the ancient world

This sort of technology and innovation has always struck me as way ahead of its time for the ancient world. It most certainly represents some of the most complex feats of engineering in an age before the application of electricity. I'll do a quick rundown of what I know about the West, China, and Islamic world, but if people have other examples (especially from other civilizations like Hindu India), please do share!

Please enjoy.

=WESTERN WORLD=

In Greek mythology, certain deities such as Daedalus and Hephaestus are linked with the creation of automatons. Yet from myth much can be gleaned about what the ancient Greeks were actually capable of. Fortunately, there is pretty clear textual evidence for automatons used at least for entertainment in the ancient Mediterranean. There's also some evidence that the concept was applied to practical situations, such as the washstand and soap-dispenser of Philo of Byzantium (3rd century BC) or the self-adjusting barbershop mirror of his contemporary Ctesibius (3rd century BC) that employed rods and a counterweight. He also was responsible for erecting a cam-operated statue of a deity that was able to sit up and down automatically. Philo was said to have constructed an automaton female maid that poured wine from a jug held in the right hand when one placed a cup into its left hand.

The Greek inventor Heron of Alexandria (1st century AD) in Roman Egypt created and showcased to a large audience his mechanical theater that featured figures in motion for roughly ten minutes. He achieved this mostly with simple rope pulleys and a cogwheel. With many intricate moving parts, he ensured that a drum was sounded by dropping balls with mechanically-timed precision to represent the clashing of thunder in his automatic miniature play.

After the Greco-Roman era, the early Renaissance provided ample grounds for experimentation with automatic moving figurines, such as the self-moving automatons and armor-encased robot of the prolific inventor Leonardo da Vinci (15th century). The motions and actions of such figures became quite complex, such as the head-nodding eye-rolling chest-striking Christian monk of Juanelo Turriano (16th century). The "jack" figurines used in striking clocks from the 14th century onwards in Europe can also be seen as a major part of this tradition. Early examples might be found in the sketchbook work of Villard de Honnecourt (13th century), who drew animal figurines that would repeatedly face the sun. He also made sketches for an automatic sawmill but whether he was the inventor of such works or just simply an astute observer isn't very clear.

The use of automata at European courts became quite numerous by the 17th and 18th centuries, but I shall not list all the examples here since they don't belong to the "ancient" world.

=EAST ASIA=

The Han-dynasty Chinese inventor Zhang Heng (1st century AD) mentioned artificial figures used in plays and it is said that the first Qin emperor (3rd century BC) had a miniature orchestra of musicians blowing onto mouth organs and powered by pulling ropes.

However, the first clear evidence for a mechanically-operated puppet theater in China is seen at the Wei court of Emperor Ming. His engineer Ma Jun (3rd century AD) created an intricate scene of singers, musicians, dancers, acrobats, laborers, and government officials all moving in unison and hydraulically-powered by a waterwheel placed behind the stage.

After Ma's theater such descriptions for mechanical puppets in China become abundant. In the subsequent Sui and Tang Dynasty the use of mechanical puppets were popular at court when it came to consuming alcohol. Huang Gun (7th century) created miniature automatic-traveling boats running along a circuit with little puppets onboard that poured wine into real chalices for dinner guests. In the 8th century a Tang engineer created an artificial mountain with a hydraulic pump and siphon to allow the flow of wine. If the pourer was too slow to drink and fill his cup again, an angry puppet sprang forth from a house on the top of the mountain holding a bat to taunt the slow drinker.

Like medieval European clockworks, the Song-dynasty horologist Su Song (11th century) employed "jack" figurines dressed in silk clothes to spring forth from automatic-opening doors and bang drums and gongs to announce the time from atop his escapement-powered astronomical clock tower. In Korea similar figurines were seen on intricate water clocks such as the "Borugak Jagyeongnu" of Jang Yeong-sil (15th century).

In Japan, mechanical puppets (Karakuri ningyō) used in miniature theater performances were popular from the 17th to 19th centuries during the Tokugawa period.

=ISLAMIC WORLD=

Automatons were also utilized in the medieval Islamic world. Jabir ibn Hayyan (8th century) mentions the use of artificial animals and people that could be controlled by their inventors. The Persian brothers Ahmad, Muhammad and Hasan bin Musa ibn Shakir (9th century) created many different automatons, including automatic-running fountains, one even operated by wind power. They also created a flute player automaton operated by the use of steam. There are lots of interesting detailed sketches from their book available online, such as a self-trimming lamp.

Arguably the most well-known inventor of various automata in the Islamic world was Al-Jazari (13th century). His "elephant clock" had a human figure striking a cymbal to announce the time as well as a metal bird that made a chirping noise. His "castle clock" had similar figurines who appeared from automatic-opening doorways to announce the time every hour. Much like the Chinese example mentioned above, he also created an automatically-moving boat with little musician figurines that played percussion instruments. He fashioned a female humanoid automaton that appeared at timed intervals from an automatic-opening door to pour drinks for guests. He made another female automaton who filled a wash basin every time the water was flushed out by a lever.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Automatons and mechanical-driven puppets of the ancient world

One famous case is the antikythera mechanism an ancient computer

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    One famous case is the antikythera mechanism an ancient computer
    IIRC antikythera is a orrery or planetarium, not computer.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Not computer with the modern sense. An analogical calculator

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

An interesting topic and opening post!

Of course in Constantinople, from the 8th century on, there was the famous golden sycamore tree in the audience hall of the Byzantine emperor. Under it lay a lion, and on it sat several birds, and when the foreign guest would come closer, they would start moving and making sounds, because they were automatons.
    I think it was Liutprand of Cremona, who also described that the emperor could move his throne up and down- up to five meters in the air! Of course most guests were very impressed and the famous quote by the Rus' ambassay fits well here: '' And the Greeks led us into their lands, and we did not know if were still on earth, or already in heaven''
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    An interesting topic and opening post!
    Well, thank you.

Of course in Constantinople, from the 8th century on, there was the famous golden sycamore tree in the audience hall of the Byzantine emperor. Under it lay a lion, and on it sat several birds, and when the foreign guest would come closer, they would start moving and making sounds, because they were automatons.
    I forgot to mention this! I actually learned about this back in my 9th-grade high school history course, believe it or not. I still don't know much about it; does its creation belong to an 8th-century Byzantine engineer we know by full name?

I think it was Liutprand of Cremona, who also described that the emperor could move his throne up and down- up to five meters in the air! Of course most guests were very impressed and the famous quote by the Rus' ambassay fits well here: '' And the Greeks led us into their lands, and we did not know if were still on earth, or already in heaven''
    Yes! I've heard that quote before. But doesn't that line immediately follow the Rus' ambassador saying they were led into the place where the Greeks served their god? Meaning the Hagia Sofia, no doubt.

Not computer with the modern sense. An analogical calculator
    Although presently missing the piece, it was apparently wound with a hand crank in order for the gears to rotate and represent the positions of the sun, moon, and planets in Earth's yearlong revolution. The earlier orrery fashioned by Archimedes was perhaps similar but this device found off the coast of Antikythera is impressive for its incredible miniaturization.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Well, thank you.

I forgot to mention this! I actually learned about this back in my 9th-grade high school history course, believe it or not. I still don't know much about it; does its creation belong to an 8th-century Byzantine engineer we know by full name?

Yes! I've heard that quote before. But doesn't that line immediately follow the Rus' ambassador saying they were led into the place where the Greeks served their god? Meaning the Hagia Sofia, no doubt.
    No problem

Mmh I'm not sure if we know his name, should look it up again, but it was most certainly a Byzantine engineer. And yeah, you are right about that quote, I just thought it also fits well to these impressive automatoi
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Mmh I'm not sure if we know his name, should look it up again, but it was most certainly a Byzantine engineer.
    If we don't have a recorded name it's okay, since that would be rather typical for something minor like the golden sycamore tree. For important large-scale engineering works like the Hagia Sofia we not only know the engineers by name (in that case, Isidore of Miletus and Anthemius of Tralles) but usually also have detailed biographies about them. It's the same story for the Eastern Roman Empire as it is for many other historical countries and bygone empires.

This is what I thought of when I saw the title of the thread...

Last edited by Colossus; January 25, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    This is what I thought of when I saw the title of the thread...

QFT

This really caught my eye recently: (http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010...an-robots.html) "In England, the famous astrologer and mathematician John Dee designed a wooden beetle in 1543 that could actually fly." The picture they show on that site is really funky looking too.

This website's okay and contains some of the same information on ancient Greece and China that I posted above. However, it includes this bit about ancient Egypt (i.e. before the Hellenistic period) that I think we should include.

http://www.mechanical-toys.com/History%20page.htm

15th century BC
    Amenhotep son of Hapu had made a statue of Memnon, King of Ethiopia, near Thebes in Egypt, which uttered a melodious sound when struck by the the suns rays in the morning and during sunset. It was suggested that a divine power was partly responsible as the mechanisms were far to simple to sustain the noise.
    Does anyone have another source to verify this? Their website doesn't list any scholarly sources and doesn't even have a list of references.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Does anyone have another source to verify this? Their website doesn't list any scholarly sources and doesn't even have a list of references.
    The statues are from the times of New Kingdom and depict some pharaoh but they only started to sing in the 1st century BC after which they became a tourist attraction covered with graffiti. Couple of centuries later some emperor had them repaired and they have not sung anymore ever since.

The Byzantine court kept mechanical birds (and apparently lions), I seem to remember reading about the emperor Manuel I watching a demonstration of a flying machine during an exchange of gifts with a Seljuk sultan.

Thank you, Trax, for the clarification!

@Kitsunegari, a flying machine? Now you've caught my interest. Are we sure this wasn't some sort of kite the Byzantines/Seljuks were using? The Chinese had kites more than 2 millennia ago, attributed to Mozi and Lu Ban (with a good amount of examples afterwards). Kites don't really seem to have been used in Europe until the 16th century, although it is more than possible the Byzantines could have been the first in the West to obtain and use them. If that's truly the case, I think Benjamin Franklin would have been tickled by that factoid.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Thank you, Trax, for the clarification!
    Here's a quick overview of the statues and some examples of the kind of stuff Romans inscribed on them to celebrate important visitors.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uYG...lbilla&f=false

Like this:

When the August Hadrian heard Memnon.
    by Julia Balbilla

Memnon the Egyptian I learnt, when warned by the rays of the sun,
    Speaks from Theban stone.
    When he saw Hadrian, the king of all, before rays of the sun
    He greeted him - as far as he was able.
    But when the Titan driving through the heavens with his steeds of white
    Brought into shadow the second measure of hours,
    Like ringing bronze Memnon again sent out his voice
    Sharp-toned; he sent out his greeting and for a third time a mighty-roar.
    The Emperor Hadrian then himself bid welcome to
    Memnon and left on stone for generations to come
    this inscription recounting all that he saw and all that he heard.
    It was clear to all that the gods love him.