Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No offense, but why did you ruin Imladris?

Default No offense, but why did you ruin Imladris?

I appreciate all the work that's been done on this fantastic mod, I really do.

However, you can't imagine my total dismay and just "fuc* it" reaction when after hours and hours of gameplay as high elves and building up my forces because I wanted an epic defense of Imladris, I have a full stack of units in the city, the orcs send a full stack to attack and when I want to sally and defend.....

....its a cliff.

...and a bridge.

What?

There is so much wrong with this settlement it boggles the mind. For the sake of making it "kinda" look like Imladris from the movie (kinda is being really generous) every single iota of gameplay mechanic or even feasability has been removed from this settlement. I honestly don't know what the thought process was here...."let's make it pretty"?

There is literally not enough space to position all my units, and even if I do cram them in somehow there's no way in Mordor that they will have any kind of effectiveness, especially considering that the little territory where you CAN fight is all downhill in favor of the attackers...(really?)

And that's not even touching the fact that elves are an archer race, and archers are practically as useful as a toothbrush to a Nazgul when defending this settlement because of the ridiculously small map.

I've already quit playing, and I know there is a 0% chance that this will be changed just because I brought it up, but I just felt I had to say how utterly and deeply dissatisfying it was after enjoying the game for so long to basically have all immersion broken, to not be able to defend my own capital, and basically to have my game ground to a screeching halt.

(and no I won't use cheats to fix it because auto winning a fight is dumb, makes the game pointless. I might as well be drawing on a piece of paper an elf killing an orc and shouting "yay Im the best!")

I really hope that the mod team revisits Imladris and gives it the proper space it needs to actually be playable, and installs at least a few battlements or SOMETHING to let the elves defend their land...

Orc towns get to grow and have walls to defend...but elves built a city thats been around for like a bajillion years so it's a cliff with an uphill bridge?....sounds legit.

It would be nice if there were a way at least to just deactivate custom settlements, preferably one by one, because if this is the treatment Imladris gets, I can only be very wary of playing any other campaign to be "surprised" tens of hours in by a similar situation for another custom town.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: No offense, but why did you ruin Imladris?

I agree it's not much fun to fight in Imladris. But... all I'll say on the matter is that you're not supposed to be defending Elrond's home. Defeat the enemy on the bridges and in the forests before they can come anywhere near the last homely house.

You setup your game to have an epic fight in Imladris, which happens to be the least fun custom settlement, almost all other settlements are more fun/spacious/practical to play in.

So this is not really something to quit the mod on, sure its frustrating, but the mod has alot more to offer, and like I said Imladris is the least useful settlement to fight in.

Indeed, Imladris could be fixed up. My biggest gripe though is how annoying it is to siege. The AI of your enemies and the pathfinding of your own troops gets unbelievably messed up.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Rivendell in the LOTR movies is a cliff, a bridge and the palace.
    In The hobbit Movie they added more stuff, like some statues and houses.
    This settlement was made before the Thobbit movie.

Adding walls, in my opinion, would be anti lore and destroy the immersion.
    Imladris is not a fortress, it should not be hardcore.
    The same goes to Lothlórien. The settlement is the forest itself. At first I did not liked it, but then I realized it is cool the way it is.

As for more space for deploying your units, yes you are right, and yes, there is people working to improve it, this guy, in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=494054
    He also said he has plans to add more houses and make it more like The hobbit movie.
    Problem is that this guy is working alone and there is no guarantee his settlements will be implemented.

Besides, complaining here will not make any difference at all. Unsatisfied people should take their handfs on tools and start changing things by themselves.
    If we had the amount of energy that people waste to complain here, directed to real work on modding activity, we could have a really big team now and a far better mod.

Miles

heh... Imladris is a defenders heaven! But yes, it really need a makeover

But if you can't defend Imladris with a full stack, there is something really wrong with your playstyle? Hold them at the chokepoints: First bridge and second bridge and fire arrows at the orcs side when they are on the bridge. If you have a ballista or a catapult, that can make very much damage to the orcs too...

Loosing settlements is part of the game - deal with it
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

yeah Imladris is boring and difficult to play, but maybe that's what the city really looks like. I don't know if Tolkin has written about a big battle there and if the battle was at "city gates" or the Elves went down to the valley

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by chriskourou View Post
    yeah Imladris is boring and difficult to play, but maybe that's what the city really looks like. I don't know if Tolkin has written about a big battle there and if the battle was at "city gates" or the Elves went down to the valley
    I don't know either, but Google says:
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/First_Siege_of_Imladris
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

I have the exact same thoughts as you. I was really looking forward to a grand map full of exciting bridges and epic palaces. Instead, like you, I get a tiny map and bugged up bridges which i can't place my troops on. Really very disappointing.

Is there a simple way for a user to replace it with a vanilla town from kingdoms? It would ruin the lore but would improve gameplay a lot until a better solution comes about.

Let them have Imladris and besiege it?

I mean, if it's in favor of the attacker anyways, can as well take advantage of that. Considering that you want to actually fight at the custom settlements as you're ignoring the choke-points (aka bridges).

Or just split that full stack up in 2 main groups and 1 smaller (latter consisting out of 2-3 archers 1 spear unit of sorts), place the main groups on a bridge each and keep the smaller in the settlement.
    Having lesser units in there is way more effective, just need to hold them and hammer their morale and then mop up (all that orcblood, it's good for the soil eventually).

Talking about custom settlements though, I thought there was once a patch to fix the deployment at, for instance, Hornburg or the black gates?
    When sieging/attacking with several armies - some armies end up somewhere on a spot on the mountains. Unable to attack/move at all. At the hornburg they actually end up IN the settlement on top of that mountain

No complaint though, just wondering because I thought someone had that fixed months ago (redownloaded the game+MOS last week, so supposedly latest files)

Don't throw your pitchforks at me for asking this in here, but I just figured it's about custom settlements and just making a thread for this one question looks like a waste of forum space to me.

Thanks in advance.

I agree. It looks great and maybe is quite "lore correct", but they forgot that this is a game with certain needs and expectations, and those need to come first before any lore accuracy or beauty concerns. It's a good lesson at least, and one that I hope someday someone will be able to correct.

imladris IS a pain in the ass to defend, and the pathing is really fuqed in it, however, if you know how to gewt around it it can be quite fun. the best way to defend it is to mass your army on the slopes across the stone bridge (fairly difficult as theres only one place to put all your units and they have to be stacked on top of eachother) then you have to rush to the "natural" bridge that the enemy spawn across from. it's really the only viable way to defend it or get any action there whatsoever. in my experience, once the enemy crosses the first bridge they just stop and don't make any attempt to attack at all. that being said, I completely agree that it needs to be redone COMPLETELY.

The unit placement is really the only thing that needs to be fixed. I don't see your problem with how it looks? It's not supposed to be a fortress of men or anything. It's called the Last Homely House East of the Sea, not the Last Desolate Fortress.

the unit placement isn't the only problem. the entire settlement is broken.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

It's not, i've had more then enough battles in this settlement without disliking it. It's just not meant to be defended by a huge army.

Quote Originally Posted by Voronwë View Post
    The unit placement is really the only thing that needs to be fixed. I don't see your problem with how it looks? It's not supposed to be a fortress of men or anything. It's called the Last Homely House East of the Sea, not the Last Desolate Fortress.
    My problem isn't with the fact that it's not Minas Tirith: Elves edition, my issue with it is that for the sake of lore (I presume) the map is super tiny, with literally NO defense advantage, and by that I mean a wall, a tower, a gate...SOMETHING for crying out loud...on top of that all the problems the map of Imladris has are (again, I imagine) because of wanting to respect lore, but at the same time, you can have a huge as* army coming out of that one little house on a cliff?......Something's wrong with that picture...

I think that immersion and lore are paramount, but only second to gameplay. It is important to remember that this is NOT the canon LOTR, hell, you could start as dwarves and take over all of middle earth, I don't remember that being in the movie or books....

Just as that is an extreme example, by having the elves as playable factions in this game, one must allow for the non canon possibility that they would have larger, defensible settlements, if for nothing else but to house the expanding population that one no doubt cultivates in game.

All I'm saying is that first of all, the mod is amazing, the amount of work is amazing, and I will always be grateful and appreciative of all that has been done. But having said this, I humbly believe that Imladris, (and standard elven towns if they decide to make them later on) should be allowed to function as a traditional MTW2 settlement in terms of gameplay, even if aesthetically changed to suit the lore.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, I don't expect the black gate of Mordor to all of a sudden be a town with a church or something, but I'm pretty confident I'm clear in what I mean.

And to the person who said to stop complaining and work on the mod, by your reasoning the next time I go to a restaurant and don't like something I will demand to be let into the kitchen, leaving my table guests and life behind to meddle in something I have zero experience or qualifications for, hence not being a whiner anymore, and eventually, all the unsatisfied guests will join in and it'll be a super kitchen!...wait.

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    Indeed, Imladris could be fixed up. My biggest gripe though is how annoying it is to siege. The AI of your enemies and the pathfinding of your own troops gets unbelievably messed up.
    Leo has made some pretty nice modifications to Imladris, but he's been waiting on KK to give him permission to release them since forever

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    It's not, i've had more then enough battles in this settlement without disliking it. It's just not meant to be defended by a huge army.
    I've never defended it with a huge army. 6-8 units at best, generals included. the fact that even in incredibly small numbers (3-4 units) that you still cant defend it decently means that something is wrong...very wrong. there is no reason why there shouldn't be any room to position your units in the deployment phase.

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Imladris is a pain. Even attacking it sucks with elves. I was the Silvan elves and trying to take Imladris after OOTMM took it and I lost 20% of my army to 4 units because my archers couldn't do anything.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast