Thread: Osterreich Empire (Work in Progress) AAR

Default Osterreich Empire (Work in Progress) AAR

Osterreich Empire

I wanted to share my brand new campaign story with everyone. I am playing as the Austrian Empire but i will be having a rather different approach to playing this campaign which i think and hope you will enjoy. This is a work in progress so please bear with me.

I have changed/tweaked/modified many aspects of game play, skins, and unit specs for a more balanced and challenging game play (Yes i do make my own mods for balancing and game play, they could be released in the future) so you will see units looking different some of which i borrowed from other factions. My version of the story starts off from historical facts, but then imagines an alternate route and therefore an alternate ending. This will be the story of my empire's rise to power. Under the command of the Archduke of Teschen, Karl von Osterreich - The most competent Field Marshal in Austria.

Karl von Osterreich Teschen (Archduke Charles):

1805. The Austrian Empire, a kingdom so vast plagued by an incompetent and weak ruler. Franz Jozef I, Emperor and older brother of The Archduke Charles has allowed Napoleon to squander a long held rightful possession.

The member states of the Holy Roman Empire of which Franz is Emperor are being swept from under his grasp by force, Austrian possessions in Belgium, Italy and Bavaria are being occupied and local populations incited to rebel against its Habsburg rulers. The army is in utter chaos and disorganization. The Emperor discusses abdication! and forfeits rights to a 1000 year old Empire and continental power. "What's next?! Austria herself?!!................... No .......... I will not stand by and watch you squander the Empire brother!! It is time you step aside." said the Archduke, and at this exact moment his Archduke Charles Legion Guards storm into the Imperial Court in a forceful march, and disarm the Imperial Guard at bayonet point.

On January 2nd 1805. 1 month after Napoleon's coronation; Charles, with the support of a desperate army, forces his brother Franz I to abdicate in his favour. Charles has sworn to revamp the empire, to re-organize the military, to stimulate the economy, and to give Napoleon the challenge of his lifetime.

Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; February 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: Osterreich Empire (Work in Progress) AAR

Karl finally takes power in Austria and crowns himself Emperor of Austria in January of 1805

As soon as he takes power he begins by reforming the government, getting rid of weak leadership, and assigning new leadership based on capability, and not according to the social stature feudal system.

Austria is not defensible. Her armies are shattered by a series of defeats, and her enemies surround her. To west the Bavarians and Wurttembergs have forgotten their loyalty to the Habsburg Crown and have sworn to fight alongside the french. To the south, the untrustworthy ottomans may declare war at anytime, Napoleon is pushing them to do so and promising them support. From the North Prussia's intentions are still unknown. As such the Emperor decided that the armies of Karl Mack in Bavaria will capture Munich and sell it to the Prussians along with Tyrol in order to secure almost all of western front:

This will create a buffer of neutral Prussian territory between France and Austria leaving the only entrance to Austrian lands to be that little bridge into Venice. Which can easily be defended by the Army of the south which was taken under personal command of Emperor Karl himself.

As you can see, the only entrance to Austria is the easily defended bridge. This creates a win / win situation for Austria since Napoleon's options are either to declare war against Prussia, which means that Austria gained another ally against Napoleon, or Napoleon will keep Prussia Neutral, which means he is limited to attacking the one bridge in Venice in order to attempt to invade Austria.

Also, with the riddance of Tyrol another route inside Austria that could hide large numbers of french armies is eliminated!! That is the forest route infront of the capital of Tyrol.

After preparations have been made, Karl mack has been ordered to commence his siege on Munich on January 15th 1805. He was instructed to be swift, as him and his precious army will soon be needed elsewhere.

(The Battle pictures are in the next post)
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; February 16, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

These were the Battle formations at the beginning of the siege of Munich. Karl Mach moved with amazing speed catching the french with a force unprepared to defend the settlement having many regiments of armed citizenry.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some Pictures from the Battle as drawn by various artists of the time:

The Situation as it stands in Europe in March, 1805.

Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; February 16, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

UPDATES:

In August 1805, France saw that it needed to open more fronts to Austria and it declared war on Prussia along with Switzerland, thus Austria gained a new ally in her war with France. France moved to occupy Munich and Switzerland moved to occupy Tyrol thus reopening the previous neutral routs into Austria.

Emperor Karl therefore decided to challenge the French occupation of Bavaria and laid siege in September 1805.

Pictures of the battle:

Battle Results:

Karl captured Munich and declared a new protectorate, reviving the Kingdom of Bavaria to act as a buffer zone between Austria and France.

In the same month Karl headed south to regain Tyrol which he gave over to the kingdom of Bavaria.

Next Karl proceeded to releave his brother Johann in Venice and to take over defense of the bridge in Venice.

Random pictures of border battles:

Until January 1806, Karl's plans in limiting France's entry points into Austria had succeeded. The french didn't declare war on Bavaria due to their diplomatic ties. And so for now, France choose to concentrate on Prussia, while supplying and pushing its puppet Italy to attack the border crossing in Venice to open up a southern route.

These are random pictures from the battles that followed:

Europe sept 1806

Foederatus

Great story! please continue it!!
    And, which mod have you used?