Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change/Edit traits, ancillary, attributes, and abilities of faction leaders and generals

Default Change/Edit traits, ancillary, attributes, and abilities of faction leaders and generals

Hello my fellow Total Warriors,

1.0 This is a tutorial to change and or edit traits, ancillary, attributes, and abilities of faction leaders and generals, what we will need to use is ESF editor which can be found here:

http://mjollnir.twcenter.net/forums/...d.php?t=428754

2.0 And a file named "mp_eur_napoleon" which is found in your data/campaigns/ folder.
    (the data folder is in C:/program files/steam/steamApps/common/napoleon total war/data/campaigns/mp_eur_napoleon)

3.0 Now you will need to use ESF editor and open the file mentioned above.

once open you will see a tree of strings with + and - and you click + to expand these strings. You need to expand
    +campaign|startpos
    .+campaign|env
    ..+campaign|model
    ...+world|faction
    ....+array|faction
    .....+(your nation) array|faction
    ......+character|array
    .......+(your character)character|array
    ........+character|details

4.0 Now you will see FOUR strings pertaining to your character and they will ALL be under the Charcter|Details expandable menu. What you need to go into is:

+traits
    and
    +agent|ancillaries
    and
    +agent|attributes
    and
    +agent|abilities

These are the the four strings that you can edit to change your character from a mickey mouse to a powerful leader or general.

4.1 As for TRAITS and ANCILLARIES:
    4.1.1 A list of traits and ancillaries can be viewed in data/data.pack file which can be opened with the PFM (pack file manager- searchable and downloadable in google)
    OR
    4.1.2 you can just copy traits and ancillaries from really successful leaders and generals and paste them to the leader or general you want. If you do want to copy and paste, then the way to do it is to highlight the trait or ancillary that you want (which must be done one at a time) then right click, left click on copy from the drop down menu, then highlight the TRAITS expandable menu (if you are copying a trait) or highlight the AGENT|ANCILLARIES expandable menu (if you are copying an ancillary) then right click, and left click paste. DO NOT paste into the expanded list, you MUST highlight the header itself and paste into it. Once you paste (for example in traits) you will see that in both the copied location and pasted location that it will just say trait instead of the actual name of the trait you pasted. That's ok, if you close the expandable menu and reopen it, you will see that this has been fixed. To delete a bad trait, simply highlight and hit delete.

4.2 As for AGENT|ATTRIBUTES and AGENT|ABILITIES

These are on/off items; they don't work by adding anything like traits, these already have preset attributes and abilities and they are either turned on or off for your current character. Seeing -1 for each attribute or ability indicates that it is turned off for the current character, seeing a 1 indicates that the attribute or ability is turned on for the current character.

And that is how you can edit your characters Traits, Ancillaries, Attributes, and Abilities. If you have any questions or comments please ask them and i will answer the best i can.

Thank you,

Ramesses.
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; October 19, 2014 at 03:08 AM.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Change/Edit traits, ancillary, attributes, and abilities of faction leaders and generals

About agents:
    I have tried to edit them to make a gentlemen (for example) able to convert.

It doesn't work.

It seems only an agent that was initially designed to convert, such as a catholic missionary, can convert.

If you find a way to make another agent convert I'd be very interested as it would allow a very nice addition to Masters of Europe mod, which I can only partially do so far.

Default Re: Change/Edit traits, ancillary, attributes, and abilities of faction leaders and generals

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    About agents:

It doesn't work.

It seems only an agent that was initially designed to convert, such as a catholic missionary, can convert.

If you find a way to make another agent convert I'd be very interested as it would allow a very nice addition to Masters of Europe mod, which I can only partially do so far.
    I've asked and researched about this before and from what i gathered is that in Napoleon: total war religion is made irrelevant as it was never part of the Napoleonic conflict (although it is a stat of each settlement) religion conversion is disabled because the religion distribution stats in each region (ex: 90% catholic 10% orthodox) are just numbers just cosmetics and do not actually have a mechanism to be increased or decreased, which is also why the conversion ability is disabled as it is not connected to any functional mechanism in the game. I will research further, however, and share my findings with you.

Patrician Artifex

This is not correct. Religion is working since that's what is used to support the "anti French", "pro French" in the peninsular campaign, with the propagandist.

I have checked that you can for example modify the religion distribution in Britanny to be 10% protestant and 90% catholic (or 10% pro British and 90% pro French if you just rename it), and an agent would really slowly modify the distribution (or a building). And the "religion" will have an effect on the revolt risk. And also on the diplomatic relationship.

However, only an agent such as the catholic_missionary can actually convert: just giving the zeal attribute and can_convert to a gentleman is not sufficient (even if you remove the research attribute to the gentleman). And makign a "clone" of the catholic_missionary (like "MyNewConverterAgent") doesn't seem to be sufficient, even when I copied all the entries I could from the DB and the startpos.

But maybe I missed one somewhere?

This is not correct. Religion is working since that's what is used to support the "anti French", "pro French" in the peninsular campaign, with the propagandist.

I have checked that you can for example modify the religion distribution in Britanny to be 10% protestant and 90% catholic (or 10% pro British and 90% pro French if you just rename it), and an agent would really slowly modify the distribution (or a building). And the "religion" will have an effect on the revolt risk. And also on the diplomatic relationship.

However, only an agent such as the catholic_missionary can actually convert: just giving the zeal attribute and can_convert to a gentleman is not sufficient (even if you remove the research attribute to the gentleman). And makign a "clone" of the catholic_missionary (like "MyNewConverterAgent") doesn't seem to be sufficient, even when I copied all the entries I could from the DB and the startpos.

But maybe I missed one somewhere?
    Yes i've heard that the peninsular campaign is different in that aspect. But i do hope it works in the regular napoleon that would be fun!!

Ok so...
    1) how do you know that it failed? does the game crash? or is it just that the agent doesn't actually change the religion composition of the settlement? note: the reason for the gentlemen not becoming a converter could be the same reason as a general not becoming a leader. i experienced this failure in the form of a game crash at the start of a campaign, which indicates conflicting commands when compiling to start a new campaign, if the game is crashing with you as well, then we know that your issue is that of conflicting commands, which also means that there is another entry elsewhere that needs to be edited.

2) Have u tried making ur conversion edits in peninsular?? having a successful change in peninsular can shed some light on the edits that DO affect the success of your moding. If you are able to make successful edits in peninsular (an environment which you know allows conversion) using the edits you are doing now then that means that religion in the grand campaign is only cosmetic as i was saying. If you are unable to make successful edits in peninsular using just the edits you are doing now, then that tells us that you did miss another edit that needs to be changed, and so we can start looking for what you missed. Its a process of elimination.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Religion does work in the ntw vanilla campaign ( I was mucking around with it some time ago) but I found the changes far too coarse for my needs so dropped it.
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; February 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Patrician Artifex

My tests:
    - Edited the religion in Brittany to 90% Pro French, 10% Pro British (these are just rename of the catholic religion)
    - Test 1: Change the gentleman close to Brittany to be Catholic_missionary instead of a gentleman, and move him to Brittany. When looking at Brittany information windows, it shows 90% pro French, and on the right of it there is a small arrow showing how much it will change each turn --> the conversion is working
    - Test 2: instead of changing the gentleman to a Catholic_missionary, I edited the stats / traits to give it zeal, can_convert, etc. Exactly as the Catholic_missionary. I did that in the db and the startpos. When looking at Britanny, there is not religion change --> the conversion is not working
    - Test 3: I added a new spawning agent, copy of the catholic_missrionary in everything (except the name of course). The agent spawns, but when I move it to Brittany, it doesn't convert.

Conversion does work, but I couldn't make it work with any other agent than the one originally supposed to convert. I tried adding religion, it works also. Except I'm limited to 5 religions which can actually convert (since the other religion would require a new agent and I can't make him convert)
    Last edited by Steph; February 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM.

My tests:
    - Edited the religion in Brittany to 90% Pro French, 10% Pro British (these are just rename of the catholic religion)
    - Test 1: Change the gentleman close to Brittany to be Catholic_missionary instead of a gentleman, and move him to Brittany. When looking at Brittany information windows, it shows 90% pro French, and on the right of it there is a small arrow showing how much it will change each turn --> the conversion is working
    But before you said:

"About agents:
    It doesn't work. "

Forgive me if i missed something but if you already have conversion working then what is the issue? i am confused now. Because initially you said that you can't edit gentlemen to conduct conversions, then in your last post according to your test results you were able to make a gentleman into a missionary at which point he was able to conduct conversions.
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; February 15, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Patrician Artifex

In the campaign map there is a pre placed gentleman just south of Brittany. If I edit the startpos to make it a missionary (and so he is NOT a gentleman anymore at all, it's just a trick to start with a missionary at this position), then when I move him to Brittany I can see he starts to convert. This prove that the conversion for a missionary is working.

But if instead of replacing the gentleman completly with the missionary, I keep the gentleman type of agent, but I replace all the traits and attributes to make it similar to a missionary (so it has zeal, it has can_convert, etc, except the name is still gentleman), then he doesn't convert.

To sum up: I have the impression an agent can convert only if his "name" is missionary, not if it has zeal, can_convert...

Is that clear now?

My problem is conversion is working ONLY with the 5 missionary already included by CA, and I cannot make any other agent convert. When I'd need more than 5 converting agent.
    Last edited by Steph; February 15, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

We have also tried to add new missionary agent to ETW to spread "Republic" ideals and we have had the same problem as Steph with NTW.

• New religion work and can be spread through building
    • Only "missionary" agent can convert and adding "zeal" to any other agent doesn't work.
    • New "missionary" agents are unable to convert, only vanilla ones can do it.

Then, we stopped any further testings.

I think that CA had tied agent's abilities to agent's category.
    But I don't understand why a new missionary agent is unable to convert, I hope CA didn't hardcoded some parameters...

My questions are :
    • Is a new gentlemen able to research ?
    • Is a new spy able to spy/assassin/sabotage ?

In other words, is an other new agent (gentleman/spy/general) able to use its abilities or is this problem limited to missionary ?
    Last edited by wangrin; February 16, 2013 at 02:37 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    We have also tried to add new missionary agent to ETW to spread "Republic" ideals and we have had the same problem as Steph with NTW.

• New religion work and can be spread through building
    • Only "missionary" agent can convert and adding "zeal" to any other agent doesn't work.
    • New "missionary" agents are unable to convert, only vanilla ones can do it.

Then, we stopped any further testings.

I think that CA had tied agent's abilities to agent's category.
    But I don't understand why a new missionary agent is unable to convert, I hope CA didn't hardcoded some parameters...

My questions are :
    • Is a new gentlemen able to research ?
    • Is a new spy able to spy/assassin/sabotage ?

In other words, is an other new agent (gentleman/spy/general) able to use its abilities or is this problem limited to missionary ?
    I think Steph would be best to answer this but I can try to run some tests myself and tell u what I found

Patrician Artifex

Yes, maybe you'll try a different approach or have a new idea that may work.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

It would be very interesting if you run some tests yourself
    Maybe will you found informations we have missed.

Peoples having worked on religious agents are :
    • Steph (of course ^^, NTW - MoE mod)
    • Flikitos and I (ETW - I.S mod)
    • MatrixStorm, ♔hammeredalways♔, Okmin (ETW - Sikh sub mod for DMUC)

ETW MODDING : ADDING A NEW AGENT

TUTORIAL : ADDING A NEW AGENT

To add a new agent to TW, you will have to modify both db tables and starpos.

1. EDITING DB TABLES

1. agents tables : define agent name and some of its characteristics
        • key=agent : agent name
        • move_points :
        • line_of_sight :
        • associated_unit : unit name define in unit_stats_land tables, for general's guards units
        • zone_of_control :
        • playable : boolean (true/false), false for minister and bandit
        • animation_set : human or ship
        • portrait_override :
        • is_spawnable : boolean (true/false)
        • primary_attribute : can be command_land (generals and colonels), command_sea (admirals and captains), management (ministers), research (gentlemen), subterfuge (spies) or zeal (missionaries)
        • religion : defined in religion tables, only for missionary agents
        • faction_total_cap : fix a limit to agent number (0=infinite)

2. agent_culture_details tables :
        • agent : agent name
        • culture : cultures allowed to use the agent
        • onscreen_name :
        • model : 3d model used, model defined in warscape_animated_lod and warscape_animated tables
        • generals_unit : unit use as bodyguard, unit defined in unit_stat_land tables

3. agent_to_agent_abilities tables : define agent’s abilities
        • ability : ability defined in ?
        • abilities are : can_assassinate, can_attack_land, can_attack_naval, can_built_fort, can_built_religious, can_convert, can_duel, can_receive_duel, can_research, can_sabotage_army, can_spy
        • default_value : always 1
        • project_specific : 0 or 1 (scout and shaman)

4. agent_to_agent_attributes : define agent's attributes
        • attribute : defined in agent_attributes tables
        • default_value : 0, 1 or 2 depending of agents
        • visible : Boolean (true/false), depending of agent and attribute

5. agent_spawnings : define agent's spawning rate/chance
        • base_chance : base chance to be spawn

6. agent_spawning_to_building_chains : define base_chance modifier depending of building
        • spawning=agent : agent name
        • building_chain : defined in building_chains tables
        • modifier_per_level : base chance modifier

7. agent_spawning_to_government_types : define base_chance modifier depending of government
        • spawning=agent : agent name
        • government_type : can be gov_absolute_monarchy, gov_constitutional_monarchy or gov_republic
        • modifier : base chance modifier

8. agent_spawning_to_policies : unused
      9. building_effects_junction : define agent_spawn effects depending of building
        • building : building name defined in buildings tables
        • effect : defined in effect_bonus_value_agent_junction tables, look like agent_spawn_rate_...
        • value :

10. campaign_character_anim_set_agent_junctions : define agent'a animation used in the campaign map
        • anim_set : animation set define in campaign_character_anim_sets and other campaign_character_anim_... tables. If you want to add abilities to your agent (duel for general), take care its anim set include the duelling animations. If not, you will have to modify anim sets.
        • agent_key=agent : agent name
        • key : integer
        • culture_key : used only for some agents (thugee and eastern ship)

11. effect_bonus_value_agent_junction :
        • effect : effect name, defined in effects tables
        • bonus_value_id : can be cap, spawn_rate or spawn_rate_mod

12. trait_triggers_tables : define triggers to allow traits
        • trigger : trigger name
        • event : event name, define in ? (not in events tables for sure)
        • conditions : you will have to add a condition about your new agent if you want him to gain traits.
        • example : C_General_Attacker_Good_Trigger add to a new admiral agent called Marechal_de_France
        • CharacterType("General") and CharacterType("Marechal_de_France") and CharacterWasAttacker() and CharacterWonBattle() and not CampaignName("episodic_1") and not CampaignName("episodic_3") and not CharacterCultureType("tribal_playable")

2. OTHER DB TABLES INVOLVED BUT NOT MODIFIABLE

1. agent_attributes tables : define agents' attributes
        • attributes are : command_land, command_sea, duelling_pistol, duelling_sword, management, research, subterfuge, zeal
        • attributes unused (?) are : land_defense_engineering, land_attack_engineering, morale_land, morale_sea, movement_point_land, trade

2. agent_attribute_situations : define "attribute_situation" depending of "attribute" defined in agent_attributes tables
        • attribute situations for command_land are : Command_Land_Ambushes, Command_Land_Artillery_Troops, Command_Land_Attack, Command_Land_Cavalry_Troops, Command_Land_Command_Amphibious_Attack, Command_Land_Defence, Command_Land_In_Americas, Command_Land_In_India, Command_Land_Infantry_Troops, Command_Land_Siege_Attack, Command_Land_Siege_Defence ;
        • attribute situations for command_land sea : Command_Sea_Attack, Command_Sea_Defence ;
        • attribute situations for movement_point_land are : Movement_Points_Land_Artillery, Movement_Points_Land_Cavalry, Movement_Points_Land_Infantry

3. EDITING STARPOS

You will also have to modify starpos :

Go to CAMPAIGN_STARPOS > CAMPAIGN_ENV > CAMPAIGN_MODEL > PORTRAIT_ALLOCATOR

Here, you will have to add entries for your new agent in :
      • [I]culture[/] > CHARACTER_PORTRAIT_PATHS > CULTURE_PATHS > add new_agent
      • [I]culture[/] > CHARACTER_PORTRAIT_PATHS > PORTRAIT_CATEGORIES > PORTRAITS > add new_agent portraits and PORTRAIT_ALLOCATION

NOTES :
    If it is possible to add a new agent, we have not been able to add a missionary one really able to convert.
    The new missionary agent is created in the campaign map, but its convert ability don't work.

Last edited by wangrin; February 17, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

So? Any progress?

Not yet!! I can't get them to convert but I am thinking i know now why!! there's an attribute that must be added... i will post it when i get back home and look at the files again.
    To offend us is to offend God

Patrician Artifex

So? Did you have a lok at the files?

Thanks for your effort and your guide, DinoMight. Still, I have the subtle feeling that the process you're describing doesn't work. Having edited my faction leader (adding a few traits) I can see the traits in my leader's character-description, but they've no effect on his stats. The changes are visible, but not effective.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Vaguely related to this tutorial (and thank you for sharing), I was considering upping all of the AI generals to really exceptional stats in order to possibly improve their influence on their army discipline and maneuvers on the battlefield.

I have tweaked my campaign battle performance considerably by mixing elements of Darthmod, Radious, and others efforts in different areas. I have experienced battle AI that has entirely outfoxed me, by deploying in waves, feinting maneuvers, negating my initial strategies, etc.. But at other times the AI performances were not half as clever.

I am wondering if the AI generals attributes (stars, ancillaries) are a main cause for these differences. Is there a thread where this topic was investigated?

If that affect is known to be true, then using these instructions here can help me to top-off the challenge level for my campaign-battle experiences.

I hope someone is still watching this thread and can comment further. TWcenter search functions aren't what they used to be, and I can't seem to find that related topic if it exists.

Cheers!

Danya82's Avatar Tiro

Where in data.pack can i find the list of traits and ancillaries? Thanks.

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Now that it is possible via modding to include multiple armies on a campaign battle-map, the need for competent generals on the map has become more urgent to me. So I'm double checking this topic for anyone with understanding of how General Traits might impact AI behavior on the battlefield during a campaign. IF using this guide can help make any and all potential enemy and allied forces behave more 'rationally' and 'tactically', then it is worth editing ALL General entries for every faction to ensure good battles.

Comments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast