Thread: Massilian Medium Hoplites

Default Massilian Medium Hoplites

How do I use them?

They can't hold the line as well as other hoplites, and I can't get them to use swords.

Any tips? They seem to be a pretty cool unit.

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Massilian Medium Hoplites

Massalian Hoplites are not typical hoplites. Their primary weapon are swords, spears are secondary. I use them as swordsmen that are ready to react well to a surprise attack from cavalry. Treat them like Hastati (similar armour points, similar sword attack but greater lethality) with spears as an ace in the pocket.
    Last edited by Boriak; February 13, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Use Alt+Right-Click to try to get them to switch weapons. You may need to repeat it, or Alt+RC and then RC, or just hit backspace to get them to stop doing everything when in the middle of combat to get them to switch weapons. Sword/Spear units are ... wonky; most of them are, anyway, and I don't remember if the Massalians are one of them. But Alt+Right Click should make them use their secondary weapon. If they start with swords (when at rest or when charging, for example), just RC should make them use the swords if they've switched to spears. Should.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

As mentioned by Entropy Judge, there seems to be some sort of a bug for units whose primary weapons are swords and who secondary weapons are spears.
    If you watch them closely in battle, when they are using swords, whenever they get knocked down and get up, they automatically switch to use spears instead of swords.
    This is really frustrating since they don't use swords with high lethality, which are more effective against enemy infantry units. The tricks mentioned by Entropy Judge such as
    pressing backspace or Alt+RC have their own pitfalls because these units seem to become defenseless at the moment of ordering weapon change. Also, they are too much hassle to do so.
    I was playing Makedonia, and Hypaspistai had a exact same issue. So, I decided to swap its first and second weapon, and even though the issue still exists when they are trying to use spears,
    I don't have to worry about it for the most of the time since I use them mostly with swords. If you need help on this, please let me know

Tiro

I met them during the bloody siege of Massalia. They were beating the crap out of my units until I killed the last one.
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

hessia78's Avatar Libertus

When using Massilian medium hoplites try using them as flanking units. Tie down the enemy with either normal hoplites or phalangites, then bring your Massilian hoplites around to the side or rear and alt right click to have them charge with their swords. This tactic can also work with Iphikratous Hoplitai and Thorakitai Hoplitai