Thread: V4 Men of Wotan Fan Thread

Default V4 Men of Wotan Fan Thread

Really enjoying this faction thus far. At the moment, I need valhalla and one last settlement to rid myself of the Valhallans on the motherland. I own the Grendellund as well, having sent an expedition to exterminate the marauding jotnarr from there (they didn't like our loud music and great feasts). What I liked this most of this campaign was fighting jotnarr armies, there is just something great about fighting a semi-monstrous beast that can terrorize your people and barely winning most of those battles that gave me chills down the spine. I don't have pictures, but the many sieges and field battles defending recently conquered settlements against Valhalla were incredibly fun as well, mostly because they were phyrric victories, a few that I almost lost and only won because I defeated the enemy general!

Also theres a few other small questions I have...
    1. The Lokkelund (first settlement northwest that is owned by the rebels) allows you to train jotnarr when it is a small village (wooden palisade), but afterwards when it is upgraded into a small town (wooden walls) you can only train men of ysmir. Can you train jotnarr eventually at larger walls?

2. Most of the Wotan elite foot troops have a low attack, but decent armor. Is this to offset the fact that they get mounted archers and light cavalry early on?

Its been a great campaign and hopefully I'll actually finish this one, usually I start a new faction when I've taken the important settlements and I'm in control, or control the starting island lol.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: V4 Men of Wotan Fan Thread

If the Wotan foot troops have axes (which I believe the elites do) then they should have armor piercing - thats why their attack is low.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Ah, I see. Still they get ripped to shreds by any decent light armor unit, which is most of the valhalla roster lol

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

They have been loyal allies of me in 3 different campaign, i like these guys a lot

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Quote Originally Posted by dacrazymofo View Post
    Also theres a few other small questions I have...
    1. The Lokkelund (first settlement northwest that is owned by the rebels) allows you to train jotnarr when it is a small village (wooden palisade), but afterwards when it is upgraded into a small town (wooden walls) you can only train men of ysmir. Can you train jotnarr eventually at larger walls?.
    Thats a typo, they will be available again at stone wall level. They actually shouldnt be availalble at the village level, will fix in next patch

2. Most of the Wotan elite foot troops have a low attack, but decent armor. Is this to offset the fact that they get mounted archers and light cavalry early on.
    As Heathen Storm says, axes have lower attack, but do have AP. The sword units are all comparable to other factions sword units

Its been a great campaign and hopefully I'll actually finish this one, usually I start a new faction when I've taken the important settlements and I'm in control, or control the starting island lol.
    Glad you are enjoying the mod,
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; February 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

I found out they have shieldwall... didn't see the button at first, but they are extremely powerful using this ability

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

I found out they have shieldwall... didn't see the button at first, but they are extremely powerful using this ability
    Shield wall in itself is quite potent and extremely useful. Attack strength is reduced but defense goes up. Just don't allow them to be flanked! My tactic is to get 5-7 units with shield wall together and form one solid line with them. If you set them all to shield wall, select them all, and click and drag to place them, they will form a solid single line. Single easiest way to win battles

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

I like these guys too....my biggest gripe to an otherwise overall great faction is that their horse archers attack is not high enough....it says it is their strength but when compared to other factions their horse archers can not compete....which is sad as I picture the Wotan to rely heavily upon them...

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice808 View Post
    I like these guys too....my biggest gripe to an otherwise overall great faction is that their horse archers attack is not high enough....it says it is their strength but when compared to other factions their horse archers can not compete....which is sad as I picture the Wotan to rely heavily upon them...
    You can always change the attack stats to make them better for your use

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Shield wall in itself is quite potent and extremely useful. Attack strength is reduced but defense goes up. Just don't allow them to be flanked! My tactic is to get 5-7 units with shield wall together and form one solid line with them. If you set them all to shield wall, select them all, and click and drag to place them, they will form a solid single line. Single easiest way to win battles
    A really good shieldwall tactic is to wait until the enemy is bunched up against your line, then order your troops to advance through the enemy, then order them to attack once they've penetrated the enemy mass. It works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus View Post
    A really good shieldwall tactic is to wait until the enemy is bunched up against your line, then order your troops to advance through the enemy, then order them to attack once they've penetrated the enemy mass. It works really well.
    I might try that. Though I rarley use shieldwall because there are always those few dudes who just can't stand in line and always have to move an squirm and never seem to fit in the shieldwall. It kinda kills the shieldwall for me, no matter the defence bonus.

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Charger Bolt View Post
    You can always change the attack stats to make them better for your use
    I did...I gave them 5 damage and for the more advanced horse archers 7 damage...
    Also for the two handed swords men in their descript it says they are well armored but the rating is 9 so I raised it to 12...there are Privateer guys with "low" armor and theirs is at 12 or so...