Thread: BC Units Discussion

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

Default BC Units Discussion

As the title says I decided to open a thread in order to post here whatever we want about the game's units, from screenshots to units stats discussion. I'll start by asking how can you defeat the mamluk tabardariya? I played some customs battles using dismounted late templars,hospitallers, teutonic knights and their mounted versions but still the mamluks make fun of them as they seem to be invencible when face one unit.

ps: I didn't find in the first 2 pages a similar thread (i was lazy to search all the previous pages), so if there is one move that post there.

Iratern's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: BC Units Discussion

Cavalry (lance kind) is the best solution, head on infantry vs infantry tabardariya are tough

even with pronoiarioi or templars, tabardariyya somehow can sustain the initial charge and then chop the horses one by one

Tough infantry should be resistant to charge even head on- 1 vs 1 isn't ideal test as it is hard to go around 1 v 1 and several units quite strong from the front are weaker on the flanks/rear. Pikes/Halberds/Tabardariaa/Polearms etc.

In larger battle even with 2 vs 2 it might work better as 1 unit can distract and 1 can flank.

Which units should have their formations changed (tighter or looser)? I don't mind skirmishers having a loose formation, since that will help them take fewer casualties from enemy missiles, but their formation should be tighter so that you when you press the Loose Formation button they will be as far apart from each other as they currently start being.

High quality units should have tighter formations? Especially spearmen?
    Last edited by k/t; February 21, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

i definitely agree for the spearmen and also i thibk that the elite heavy infantry (varangians, templars, tabadariyya, sughdians) which have small numbers should be in a tighter formation.

Artifex

Tabardarioya; as with any tough infantry, try to avoid prolonged melees as much as possible. Charge repeatedly with cavalry and try to engage them and as much other enemies with fewer of your infantry (wedge formations have always worked well for me) while missile troops and riders attack from the sides and from a distance. Weapon-and-shield infantry is often cost-effective against two-handers. Unless you were referring only to 1 vs 1 custom battles in which case I don't know. But you mention initial charge, is it maybe possible to pull out and charge again with heavy cavalry?

In addition to professionalism/skill I think spearmen, swordsmen with thrusting swords and similarly armed units should have a tighter formation while those armed with larger weapons requiring more space should have a looser formation.

I can't name any specific examples since I play with a submod
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

in field battles it' easy to deal with axemen, although they will decimate the first cavalry unit that charges them, but i'm takling about 1v1 battles and siege battles where the cavalty can;t charge so easily. also you mentioned wedge formation, does it really work for you guys or even use it? i find it quite useless.