Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    What the?? Are you seriously saying self-determination doesn't matter??
    It doesn't matter when it comes to solving territorial disputes.

Indefinitely Banned

it's true, what's legal and what's right overrides individual wants and needs.
    i'm sure the vast majority of americans or britons would like to smoke pot or cultivate hemp but the law says no, and y'should respect that.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Apart from the fact that Argentina has no legal right to the Falklands at all...
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    it's true, what's legal and what's right overrides individual wants and needs.
    i'm sure the vast majority of americans or britons would like to smoke pot or cultivate hemp but the law says no, and y'should respect that.
    The notion of legality when it comes to international territory disputes is amusing, as they aren't bound by any real law. All that binds a state to the expressed rules of international relations is the state itself choosing to be bound by them. The fact the rules of territorial recognition might be in favour of Argentina (though as others have put before me, I doubt very much that they do) in this situation mean little, as no real arbiter with any power has the ability to enforce those rules. At this current point in time, the Falklands wish to remain an overseas territory of the UK, and that self-determination is held in much greater esteem to those that matter (ie states able to place pressure on the UK) than territorial rights, so unless Argentina can suddenly garner up support for either the establishment of an international court that has real, binding power or somehow emphasize to some major power brokers (the US for instance) that their theoretical territorial right is more important than the recent display of self-determination, then I'm afraid what's "legal" means squat.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    Apart from the fact that Argentina has no legal right to the Falklands at all...
    Indeed, Argentina has no valid legal claim on the Falklands which I know of. That alone is all the argument the UK needs to defend its continued presence there, while things like referendums with only one possible outcome are just propaganda for domestic consumption.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Haçli Sultan View Post
    It doesn't matter when it comes to solving territorial disputes.
    Of course it does, the will of the people involved is of paramount importance. How is this propaganda, anyway?

The will of the individual is of paramount importance, not to mention the principle of majority rule. Anything else is tyranny. Remember the Harm Principle.

Who are you to decide what people want? WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?

Comes Domesticorum

Of course it does, the will of the people involved is of paramount importance. How is this propaganda, anyway?

The will of the individual is of paramount importance, not to mention the principle of majority rule. Anything else is tyranny. Remember the Harm Principle.

Who are you to decide what people want? WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?
    I'm not deciding what people want. The Falklanders voted to stay British, which is about as surprising as Alaskans voting to stay American instead of becoming Canadian.

Senator

I'm not deciding what people want. The Falklanders voted to stay British, which is about as surprising as Alaskans voting to stay American instead of becoming Canadian.
    And there wishes will be respected, which is the case in any liberal democracy. It's why we have the vote, you know?

Comes Domesticorum

And there wishes will be respected, which is the case in any liberal democracy. It's why we have the vote, you know?
    Well it seems this is all flying a bit over your head.

Protector Domesticus

At this point the islands are not going to change hands unless the British are finished with them or Argentina somehow pushes them out, no one with any sway is going to support their claims.

There is no higher power to decide for them
    Last edited by SLN445; March 20, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Senator

Well it seems this is all flying a bit over your head.
    No, it's you who is throwing democracy down the drain right now.

Comes Domesticorum

No, it's you who is throwing democracy down the drain right now.
    Okay, let me use simple examples to guide you through why this isn't an issue for democracy.

a) Hitler holds a referendum where the Jews get to vote if they should live or go to Auschwitz. They vote to live. Democracy in action!

b) My neighbor builds a guest house in my backyard. His family moves into the guest house, and when I tell them that it's my backyard, they decide to hold a vote between themselves saying that it is actually theirs. Democracy in action!

Senator

Okay, let me use simple examples to guide you through why this isn't an issue for democracy.

a) Hitler holds a referendum where the Jews get to vote if they should live or go to Auschwitz. They vote to live. Democracy in action!

b) My neighbor builds a guest house in my backyard. His family moves into the guest house, and when I tell them that it's my backyard, they decide to hold a vote between themselves saying that it is actually theirs. Democracy in action!
    That's a logical absurdity. Democracy conflicts with liberty in those cases, so democracy should loose out. I fail to see what the Falklands wishing to remain British has anything to do with that?

Where are you from, anyway?

Comes Domesticorum

That's a logical absurdity. Democracy conflicts with liberty in those cases, so democracy should loose out. I fail to see what the Falklands wishing to remain British has anything to do with that?

Where are you from, anyway?
    Democracy conflicts with the law, in the case mentioned, not with liberty. It is the same principal in the Falklands and any territorial dispute.

Senator

People have the right to determine what country they live in. That is the foundation of how liberal democracies operate.

Comes Domesticorum

People have the right to determine what country they live in. That is the foundation of how liberal democracies operate.
    As I said before, this stuff is all flying over your head, so I'll just conclude this discussion in a way that will make you happy.

Senator

So your response is to ignore the expressed will of Falklanders and say I'm some sort of unthinking nationalist.

Let me put it this way, if the Falklanders expressed a majority wish to join, say, Brazil, they should and must be allowed to join Brazil.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

So your response is to ignore the expressed will of Falklanders and say I'm some sort of unthinking nationalist.

Let me put it this way, if the Falklanders expressed a majority wish to join, say, Brazil, they should and must be allowed to join Brazil.
    The UDoHR doesn't apply to Brits apparently best get used to that.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    The UDoHR doesn't apply to Brits apparently best get used to that.
    Ahh, I se... I seem to have been misinformed as to the meaning of "universal".

Military power and economic viability tips the balance in favour of the Falklanders' wishes regarding their sovereignty of the islands.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.