Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Default Re: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Meaning that other British lands should/could have a referendum concerning their future as well?
    Nah, that's retarded, Neo, as I expect you know. Besides, most British places under contention have had referendums. Gibraltar has had a few, NI had one in the seventies. Most other territories are autonomous or utterly reliant on the UK for survival.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
    To which lands are you referring?
    Any, like Northern Ireland or lands overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Nah, that's retarded, Neo, as I expect you know. Besides, most British places under contention have had referendums. Gibraltar has had a few, NI had one in the seventies. Most other territories are autonomous or utterly reliant on the UK for survival.
    Since when a democratic procedure, concerning the status of a place and it's inhabitants,is "retarded"?Inadvisable maybe
    Last edited by neoptolemos; March 12, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Ah, if only you would look things up before trying to post.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Meaning that other British lands should/could have a referendum concerning their future as well?
    We are letting a certain place have a referendum and as Ferret pointed out have done so for other places on many occasions.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Inevitable result, but still important. This is the democratic will of a free people. I was surprised at how open the Argentine Government's response was in not recognising the human rights of the Falklanders.

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    We are letting a certain place have a referendum and as Ferret pointed out have done so for other places on many occasions.
    And where exactly i disputed that?
    @Ferrets
    Don't be so defensive on this, I am with Britain on this occasion.I was just asking if there is any short of legal or political obstacle for the British lands to have a referendum like this.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

@Ferrets
    Don't be so defensive on this, I am with Britain on this occasion.I was just asking if there is any short of legal or political obstacle for the British lands to have a referendum like this.
    Don't pretend we don't know what the implication of your question was. And I'd repeat my answer: the UK has fairly consistently allowed people to have their say in referendums over these sort of issues, so no, obviously there are no obstacles when the situation is appropriate.

Campidoctor

I was kind of hoping this would be the first democratic vote ever to get 100%, but there's always someone who has to be contrarian.

On the other hand, given how the Argentine government has stated that the opinions of the Falklanders don't matter, it would of been funny if they decided to troll Kirchner by voting no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Don't pretend we don't know what the implication of your question was.
    Since you are aware of my "implication" then share it with me.What did i imply?
    And I'd repeat my answer: the UK has fairly consistently allowed people to have their say in referendums over these sort of issues, so no, obviously there are no obstacles when the situation is appropriate.
    Exactly, at last, addressing the meaning of the question.
    Britain has the moral advantage here.Not only there were referendums held in the past but it offers the framework for these areas to have a referendum nobody is staying within British sovereignty by force but out of free choice.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; March 12, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Luís de Camões

Comes Domesticorum

Yes, free choice when there is only one choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Haçli Sultan View Post
    Yes, free choice when there is only one choice.
    There were three choices, yes, no, and abstention.

Comes Domesticorum

Right, but there was still only one choice.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

​Well then why didn't 100% of people vote yes?

Comes Domesticorum

Who knows.

In no way, literally, figuratively, metaphorically or by any stretch of the imagination was there "only one choice". There were two choices on the referendum, and nobody was forced to participate.

Although I may be attacked again by British nationalists ,you have a point but
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Mark View Post
    In no way, literally, figuratively, metaphorically or by any stretch of the imagination was there "only one choice". There were two choices on the referendum, and nobody was forced to participate.
    Pretty much this.
    Luís de Camões

Or, like Scotland, perhaps?

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Mark View Post
    Right, just like there would be many choices if a referendum was held in Alaska as to whether they wanted to remain American or become Canadian.

Right, just like there would be many choices if a referendum was held in Alaska as to whether they wanted to remain American or become Canadian.
    Yeah... This sprang to mind:

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith so that I could remove mountains, but have not reputable source for my claims, I am nothing.
    Last edited by Plan C; March 12, 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
    Or, like Scotland, perhaps?
    Scotland will have her referendum as previous posters mentioned it earlier. Falklands and Scottish referendums are good examples of choice concerning sovereignty.
    As it has been pointed out to me, given the situation any land under British sovereignty could have a referendum for the same reason.
    Personally I highly value this attitude of the British government towards the self-determination of its citizens.
    Luís de Camões