Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Default Re: Falklands War of Words - The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Haçli Sultan View Post
    I'm afraid I don't.
    It is entirely consistent to object to the creation of a state such as Israel, but to support it's right to continued existence once it has been created. I would not support the creation of another state in the manner that Israel was conceived, but that does not mean that I feel the Israel has no right to continued existence now that it does exist. The two statements are not exclusive.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Just because no one else is living there doesn't mean it doesn't belong to someone.
    Yes indeed, it belongs to the UK. The only claim is proximity, So by that logic...Greece should go back to the Turks, being part of the Ottoman Empire once (and on the doorstep of the Turks), where does the claims end for proximity? They'res no logic i'm afraid my friend. Just stupidity. If the inhabitants choose to remain British, then they do. And Argentina will have to learn to accept that, and not use it as an excuse to distract from internal problems.

I wasn't aware that Greece was solely occupied by Penguins. It would certainly put a new twist on the Iliad, and why didn't Odysseus just swim home?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I think the problem with Sultan's view in equating the Israeli Settlements to British control of the Falklands is the obvious one: there is general international and legal consensus that the Israeli Settlements are illegal and must be withdrawn, and there is no such consensus concerning the Falklands (indeed that view would be limited to Argentina - even their allies do not propose evacuating the Falklands of its inhabitants).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...w-settlers-icc

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    I wasn't aware that Greece was solely occupied by Penguins. It would certainly put a new twist on the Iliad, and why didn't Odysseus just swim home?
    But that's just the point, the Falklands too is occupied, by the UK, not Argentina...so why should they have dibsies on it? It was never theirs, they are British settlers, not Argentinians. So how does it work that they have any right? The only argument for, is proximity... in which case the world map would be a very different place for everyone. Especially if we're talking about islands, for instance should then Rhodes be part of Greece? Its closer to Turkey by proxy. But... Its inhabitants are Greek in the majority, and so they have a right to be part of Greece. Its the same scenario, and wouldn't be all laugh of Turkey then tried to claim it? Thus we all have a giggle with Argentina. Who could potentially be a serious and successful country on the world stage, if they would just drop the 19th Century Rhetoric, and deal with some of their domestic issues, instead of trying to detract attention onto an external farce.

Though i agree with you... Penguins in the Illiad would that certainly add a twist to the epic. stop it being so dry . Also they'd make a better more accurate movie version than Brad Pitt...
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; February 25, 2013 at 03:26 AM.

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...Argentina.html

Interesting article from yesterday's Sunday Telegraph. I'll admit to having a little chuckle when I read the bit about her not being able to take her presidential jet on a foreign trip because it might be seized by creditors.
    Last edited by Pielstick; February 25, 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Does Cameron still have a private jet for official duties? I seem to recall he went commercial for a trip to Washington.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

The British PM doesn't have an official jet. They always charter a British Airways aircraft instead. There was talk some years ago of Tony Blair getting a dedicated jet, which was immediately labelled "Blair Force One" by the press and the idea was quietly dropped.

The RAF has a "Royal Squadron" which has a few small jets (BAe146/Avro RJ types) which are used by the Royal Family, however this squadron is currently flying a lot in Afghanistan on other duties.
    Last edited by Pielstick; February 25, 2013 at 07:10 AM.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Just because no one else is living there doesn't mean it doesn't belong to someone.
    The UK owns it. We're covered on both parts.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    The UK owns it. We're covered on both parts.
    I don't disagree.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

On his visit to London yesterday Kerry maintained the White House’s strictly neutral policy on the Falklands:
    First of all, I’m not going to comment, nor is the president, on a referendum that has yet to take place, which hasn’t taken place. Our position on the Falklands has not changed. The United States recognises de facto UK administration of the Islands, but takes no position on the question of the parties’ sovereignty claims thereto.
    We support cooperation between the UK and Argentina on practical matters and we continue to urge a peaceful resolution of that issue.
    You would have thought the Americans would think that self-determination was a self-evident unalienable right endowed by the creator. Given the Declaration of Independence and all.
    It seems a bit odd for the leader of the free world and an American to sit on the fence on this issue.
    The special relationship is all one way. The UK does whatever pleases the US, and the US does whatever pleases the US too.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Pure Realpolitik.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Because it doesn't particularly want to piss off the entirety of South America.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
    You would have thought the Americans would think that self-determination was a self-evident unalienable right endowed by the creator. Given the Declaration of Independence and all.
    It seems a bit odd for the leader of the free world and an American to sit on the fence on this issue.

The special relationship is all one way. The UK does whatever pleases the US, and the US does whatever pleases the US too.
    Maybe you should actually read up on the issue in the US. The US has always maintained a neutral position. Officially. Unofficially the US supports the UK.
    Last edited by Vanoi; February 26, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    Because it doesn't particularly want to piss off the entirety of South America.
    ​This

Comes Domesticorum

On his visit to London yesterday Kerry maintained the White House’s strictly neutral policy on the Falklands:

What exactly do you want them to do? Bomb Argentina for you?

In any case, the US unofficially supports the UK on the issue.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

What exactly do you want them to do? Bomb Argentina for you?

In any case, the US unofficially supports the UK on the issue.
    Nah I’m alright with other people’s governments being hypocritical. It makes me laugh is all.
    The US is evangelical about democracy everywhere in the world except in as much as it applies to the democratic will of the residents of the Falklands. Their official support would lose them nothing. The only South American countries that are buddies with Argentina: Venezuela and Cuba, don’t even return Obama’s phone calls.

What does unofficial support even mean?
    It’s like having sex with ugly fat girls and then pretending you don’t know them in public.
    I know you know what I’m talking about.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Comes Domesticorum

Nah I’m alright with other people’s governments being hypocritical. It makes me laugh is all.
    The US is evangelical about democracy everywhere in the world except in as much as it applies to the democratic will of the residents of the Falklands. Their official support would lose them nothing. The only South American countries that are buddies with Argentina: Venezuela and Cuba, don’t even return Obama’s phone calls.

What does unofficial support even mean?
    It’s like having sex with ugly fat girls and then pretending you don’t know them in public.
    I know you know what I’m talking about.
    Yes, the US is evangelical about democracy. Probably why it cozied up with Gaddafi, Mubarak, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, China,...but god forbid they offend the 5 Brits who live on an island somewhere.

Unofficial support, as in:

The United States was concerned by the prospect of Argentina turning to the Soviet Union for support,[29] and initially tried to mediate an end to the conflict. However, when Argentina refused the U.S. peace overtures, U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig announced that the United States would prohibit arms sales to Argentina and provide material support for British operations. Both Houses of the U.S. Congress passed resolutions supporting the U.S. action siding with the United Kingdom.[30]
    The U.S. provided the United Kingdom with military equipment ranging from submarine detectors to the latest missiles.[31][32][33] President Ronald Reagan approved the Royal Navy's request to borrow the Sea Harrier-capable amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2) if the British lost an aircraft carrier. The United States Navy developed a plan to help the British man the ship with American military contractors, likely retired sailors with knowledge of the Iwo Jima's systems.[34]

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

What are you talking about Stav. Offering to GIVE THEM A CARRIER THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUNK means nothing. NOTHING!

Comes Domesticorum

But it's not a supercarrier​, now is it!