Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The pope is resigning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

Default The pope is resigning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304 Full story here (well not full story, details aren't there yet.

The first time in 600 years that a pope voluntarily resigns.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: The pope is resigning

If the year was 1500, this would be the right forum. But it isn't, not anymore.

Good riddance. Ratzinger is a cruel zealot who protected child rapists as head of the inquisition and utterly failed to appropriately recognise these crimes when they became public.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Good riddance. Ratzinger is a cruel zealot who protected child rapists as head of the inquisition and utterly failed to appropriately recognise these crimes when they became public.
    Sound opinion, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemondude View Post
    you can do that? How can God's representative on earth resign? Was he fired by God? Or is it mutual?
    Well, he said he was praying to God and consulting his conscience, and both pretty much told him that he is too old to continue.

Not that I can't understand him. Dealing with baseless and stupid opinions like Ferret's or BOM's on a daily basis must be incredibly frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Not sure how the disappearance of one of the biggest charitable institutions in the world could be considered a good thing.
    Don't bother. He must have had personal problems with the church, the opinion itself is just plain bs.
    Last edited by Primo; February 11, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Very true, just like the BBC and the government

A better riddance would be the abolition of the office itself. And the religion that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    A better riddance would be the abolition of the office itself. And the religion that comes with it.
    Not sure how the disappearance of one of the biggest charitable institutions in the world could be considered a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

People who wanted to be charitable would simply find other avenues.

This is like saying if people who invented stuff didn't, nobody else ever would...

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA... Oh wait, you're serious.

P.S. Molestation jokes aren't funny, btw. I thought that people with morals derived from a supreme omniscient being would know that.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; February 11, 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Most charitable organizations don't enable, conceal, and protect child molesters/rapists or enslave women. This isn't even getting into its fight against contraception and complicating the struggle against HIV. It's charitable giving is the saving grace of the institution considering how many other lives it has ruined.

On topic, I don't see that it's unreasonable for the Pope to resign due to advanced age and declining health. I think it's actually sort of humble to be able to admit when one is no longer capable of adequately being the voice of God, and resigning so that someone more vigorous can replace him. Because a senile, unintelligible sick Pope does the Catholic Church no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark of Winterfell View Post
    On topic, I don't see that it's unreasonable for the Pope to resign due to advanced age and declining health. I think it's actually sort of humble to be able to admit when one is no longer capable of adequately being the voice of God, and resigning so that someone more vigorous can replace him. Because a senile, unintelligible sick Pope does the Catholic Church no favors.
    Of course is not unreasonable for the Pope to resign.The fact is that Catholics believe him to be God's representative on Earth, that's why something like this is extremely rare; to simply resign does not combine well with the idea of a divine mandate.Indeed, the rarity of a thing like this begs the question if something else is going on; the Church is ripe with political machinations.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You could donate the Aposotolic Palace as an Orphanage for the world's children and use the money from all the expensive clothes and jewelry and other unimportant to do something good rather than rape little boys and then protect the perpetrators from the punishment they deserve.

It would also help eliminate the idea that all the good things in life come from an imaginary man in the sky and all the bad things are just part of his plan no matter how ed up it is.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

you can do that? How can God's representative on earth resign? Was he fired by God? Or is it mutual?

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Maybe he just wants to marry his beloved and the Holy see does not approve of such... relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum.
    Thema Devia...perhaps?

Now let us all quietly shed a tear for Ratzinger's departure. And ask for him the Lord's forgiveness with the following hymn:

Oh Lord, please don't burn us.
    Don't grill or toast Your flock.
    Don't put us on the barbecue
    Or simmer us in stock.
    Don't braise or bake or boil us
    Or stir-fry us in a wok.
    Oh, please don't lightly poach us
    Or baste us with hot fat.
    Don't fricassee or roast us
    Or boil us in a vat,
    And please don't stick Thy servants, Lord,
    In a Rotissomat.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Thema Devia...perhaps?

Now let us all quietly shed a tear for Ratzinger's departure. And ask for him the Lord's forgiveness with the following hymn:
    The Devia already beat the Mudpit to this one.

I have returned

he got too old for the pool parties

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by YuriVII View Post
    Seriously in this world and from the third world, you are legitimately surprised?
    Not from the third world, that is a tired racist excuse and you should be ashamed for using it. Why should you be ashamed? You assumed because he was Ghanan he was third world. The man speaks seven maybe less languages but not much more than less and you assume because he is african he is an idiot?

Do you speak seven languages? Do you speak fluent ghanan, English and Latin to name three? He speaks more.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Louise von Preussen View Post
    Oh, Danny, you have never seen this then. As a matter of fact it's Catholicism in all its traditionalist normalcy.
    Idiocy and a vast ignorant and stupid stance towards science is matter of fact? Not understanding basic facts and knowledge is just part of what is going on?

THat is cool are you part of that deliberate ignorance too or is it just them?

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    he got too old for the pool parties
    Maybe I did, got to old for the rape parties too?

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Not from the third world, that is a tired racist excuse and you should be ashamed for using it. Why should you be ashamed? You assumed because he was Ghanan he was third world. The man speaks seven maybe less languages but not much more than less and you assume because he is african he is an idiot?

Do you speak seven languages? Do you speak fluent ghanan, English and Latin to name three? He speaks more.
    Seven...no. I speak fluent English, German, Russian, conversational Spanish and Estonian not to put too fine a point on it. So 3 3/4? Not seven but if we are using the amount of languages one knows to measure "worldliness" I probably rank pretty good compared to most people...including you and I have no humiliation that there is a cardinal who knows more than languages than me. In addition "Ghanian" is not a language. Ghana is a country made up of many different linguistic groups. His native tongue if I am correct is called Nzema and he probably knows some other languages in Ghana in addition to that.

Tell me, is it racist to know what their cultural attitudes are Danny? Or to know that this world is not full of enlightened people and that it is a mean and intolerant place? Their societal values are not friendly to homosexuality. In fact this is a norm in most of the world...not just Africa. The liberal societies of this world only started to become friendly very very recently. So recognizing a reality is not racist. If anyone here is being ethno or culture centric it would be you because you were surprised....absolutely surprised that people in the world exist who don't share your liberal opinions on the matter. Let's see latin America isn't too friendly to it, many Eastern Europeans are not fans of homosexuals to put it lightly, in Russia iGay Pride parades have been banned for a century in Moscow. In China it is considered a mental disease by the regime, and they hang them in parts of Africa...and I am sure we are all familiar of their stance on the issue in the Arab world is. In addition to this he is a Cardinal. Homosexuality is considered a sin...along with premarital sex, lying, cheating, and murder among other things. What do you want from the catholic church? To just throw away everything they have stood for centuries for because it what the progressive masses of a few countries who aren't even catholic want? Why do you care? You are not even catholic.

Good job trying to paint me as something I'm not.
    Last edited by YuriVII; February 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Maybe I did, got to old for the rape parties too?
    There's a great joke I hear about how hard it is to hold down a 10 year old at his age
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast