Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The pope is resigning

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

Default The pope is resigning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304 Full story here (well not full story, details aren't there yet.

The first time in 600 years that a pope voluntarily resigns.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: The pope is resigning

If the year was 1500, this would be the right forum. But it isn't, not anymore.

Good riddance. Ratzinger is a cruel zealot who protected child rapists as head of the inquisition and utterly failed to appropriately recognise these crimes when they became public.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

A better riddance would be the abolition of the office itself. And the religion that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    A better riddance would be the abolition of the office itself. And the religion that comes with it.
    Not sure how the disappearance of one of the biggest charitable institutions in the world could be considered a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

you can do that? How can God's representative on earth resign? Was he fired by God? Or is it mutual?

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Good riddance. Ratzinger is a cruel zealot who protected child rapists as head of the inquisition and utterly failed to appropriately recognise these crimes when they became public.
    Sound opinion, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemondude View Post
    you can do that? How can God's representative on earth resign? Was he fired by God? Or is it mutual?
    Well, he said he was praying to God and consulting his conscience, and both pretty much told him that he is too old to continue.

Not that I can't understand him. Dealing with baseless and stupid opinions like Ferret's or BOM's on a daily basis must be incredibly frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Not sure how the disappearance of one of the biggest charitable institutions in the world could be considered a good thing.
    Don't bother. He must have had personal problems with the church, the opinion itself is just plain bs.
    Last edited by Primo; February 11, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Maybe he just wants to marry his beloved and the Holy see does not approve of such... relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum.
    Thema Devia...perhaps?

Now let us all quietly shed a tear for Ratzinger's departure. And ask for him the Lord's forgiveness with the following hymn:

Oh Lord, please don't burn us.
    Don't grill or toast Your flock.
    Don't put us on the barbecue
    Or simmer us in stock.
    Don't braise or bake or boil us
    Or stir-fry us in a wok.
    Oh, please don't lightly poach us
    Or baste us with hot fat.
    Don't fricassee or roast us
    Or boil us in a vat,
    And please don't stick Thy servants, Lord,
    In a Rotissomat.

Facupay's Avatar Senator

Let's hope that the cardinals choose a less "conservative" pope this time. Ratzinger was too old school and really not fit for the modern world.
    HUMAN IS FISH ISLAM IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX...

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Cardinal Tagle for Pope! Ok fine, its a long shot.

2 papal conclaves in my own lifetime. Wow.

Who will they elect next?

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Comes Domesticorum

Hopefully the next Bishop of Rome will be just as active trying to retain traditional Catholicism and will be able to strive for greater attempts at reconciliation between East and West.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Bye, bye, little Hitlerjugend!..

UT TE DII DEAEQUE PERDANT!!

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Cardinal Tagle for Pope! Ok fine, its a long shot.

2 papal conclaves in my own lifetime. Wow.

Who will they elect next?
    Popes tend to be very old when elected so 5-15 years is the normal interval between papal conclaves.

But I definitely think this got huge political impact as the Catholic church is a huge player in many areas. Our ability to combat HIV is for example closely aligned with how strongly the Catholic church opposes condoms.

He never really wanted the job, but the Church wasn't ready for any major change and he was chosen as an interim measure. The real question would be if the College of Cardinals had come up with a candidate that will lead them for the next twenty or thirty years into the future. On demographic and political terms, I always thought the next Pope will be South American, and his successor will be Asian.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Comes Domesticorum

We need an Italian Bishop of Rome.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Our ability to combat HIV is for example closely aligned with how strongly the Catholic church opposes condoms.
    Yeah. If the people in Africa would follow the teachings of the church HIV wouldn't be a problem. Because the church is against polygamy, and this, combined with the poverty of the families and the resulting desperate need to have children who work and get money, is what make HIV a problem.

The church is actively combating both, and it's stance on condoms doesn't change squad.

Just heard that. Shame for Roman Catholic church.
    what do you think from what country will next pope come?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Just heard that. Shame for Roman Catholic church.
    what do you think from what country will next pope come?
    North Korea.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Thema Devia...perhaps?

Now let us all quietly shed a tear for Ratzinger's departure. And ask for him the Lord's forgiveness with the following hymn:
    The Devia already beat the Mudpit to this one.

I have returned

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast