Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: When atheism is no longer atheism.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: When atheism is no longer atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    A deist is not a theist as a theist implies a God intervening and caring for his creation which usually leads to the anthromorphic dogma that he somehow cares for us. A deist just sees the personal need for the first cause argument and thus assumes a creator but doesn't think he created the universe in an imperfect way that needs him to meddle with things.
    A deist is a theist, they believe in a creator god. Admittedly the most vague form of deity imaginable, but a god nonetheless.
    A deist is a theist the same way an apatheteist is an atheist.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    The label is not important at all.
    Understanding what the definition of a word is (or coming to some agreement on it) is a huge chunk of philosophy. I think labels are terrific for helping people understand positions/not argue against strawmen and being able to talk about ideas in a general manner, rather than just one person's personal opinion. Being able to talk in general is useful and needed, and requires clear labels with well understood definitions.

Going back to apatheism, there are some on here claiming only atheists can be apatheistic, though I am not sure.

Can a person be apathetic about something they believe in? If the answer is yes, then it is possible (though I don't think as likely) that theists can be apatheistic. Believing in something doesn't mean you care about it. Heck, not believing in something doesn't mean you don't care about it. There are plenty of atheists who care pretty deeply about the question of whether God exists or not, for various reasons.

I guess I don't find the term all that useful or necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Understanding what the definition of a word is (or coming to some agreement on it) is a huge chunk of philosophy. I think labels are terrific for helping people understand positions/not argue against strawmen and being able to talk about ideas in a general manner, rather than just one person's personal opinion. Being able to talk in general is useful and needed, and requires clear labels with well understood definitions.

Going back to apatheism, there are some on here claiming only atheists can be apatheistic, though I am not sure.

Can a person be apathetic about something they believe in? If the answer is yes, then it is possible (though I don't think as likely) that theists can be apatheistic. Believing in something doesn't mean you care about it. Heck, not believing in something doesn't mean you don't care about it. There are plenty of atheists who care pretty deeply about the question of whether God exists or not, for various reasons.

I guess I don't find the term all that useful or necessary.
    I believe you're a male person but I do not care if you're a male or female.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I think labels actually lead to a greater likelihood of a straw man argument. In fact, I have had many occasions when someone made an assumption about my position on an issue based on their understanding of the label. Of course, when they accept I have a different point of view, I was no longer considered that label.

When it comes to definitions this forum is especially bad. One group would say it means "a"; but no, its "b"; and the circular semantic debate takes off from there. Its a systemic problem here. I personally do not see the value in misrepresenting an another point of view. Its self- defeating to do so. What is the point of debating if you are not trying to understand the point of view of another view? BTW, there is actually a psychological reason for this, but this would just take us on another tangent.

The thing here it was already explained a few pages ago. The construction cannot be "a"- word. It would be this; "a- patheistic." What is a patheistic? An alternative name for this viewpoint is "Apathetic Theism." It is clear the construction is a cropping of the "apathy." This, of course, didn't stop the nonsense of the debate- it continued. The term is more similar to agnosticism; which can take a theistic perspective or a atheistic perspective. Ironically, the OP identified himself (assuming a male) as a atheist. This whole tangent started when someone (won't say who) claimed that they CAN'T be an atheist. Later this same poster asserted it could go either way. Anyway, the last three pages (now) have been ad nauseum [sic?] at best- but that is another systemic problem- these incessant "pissing contest" among certain members.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678