Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trolls...

Default Re: Trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    I don't know of too many units in the Mordor/OoMM/Gundabad roster that can go toe to toe with a unit of Iron Guard and reduce them to 6. Now just imagine if you had used them to flank, or charge that unit from behind.

What unit might you be referring to? Orc Units don't have Mumakil

Trolls of course! In this instance, Snow Trolls.

Your single unit of Snow Trolls beat down Iron Guard to 6 men!? D: Please explain. I love Snow Trolls as much as the next Orc Warlord, but come on...

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Your single unit of Snow Trolls beat down Iron Guard to 6 men!? D: Please explain. I love Snow Trolls as much as the next Orc Warlord, but come on...
    It's in the OP, dude.

What I meant was that the charge of the trolls killed at most 6 iron guards.
    In the best senario with iron guards, as far as I remember, they was reduced to 25-30 before butchering my trolls.

This also counts for Olog-Hai!

^ There we go, that sounds more realistic

Yea, Olog Hai and Snow Trolls aren't too far apart. I did a custom battle troll tournament and the Olog Hai and Snow Troll matches were always very close. The most the Olog Hai won were with 3 trolls left (they won the most, 7/10 rounds) and the same for the Snow Trolls, butar usually it was down to 2 vs 2 for the final stretch. If the Snow Trolls can't do it, there's not a good chance the Olog Hai would fare better against dwarves :/

^ There we go, that sounds more realistic

Yea, Olog Hai and Snow Trolls aren't too far apart. I did a custom battle troll tournament and the Olog Hai and Snow Troll matches were always very close. The most the Olog Hai won were with 3 trolls left (they won the most, 7/10 rounds) and the same for the Snow Trolls, butar usually it was down to 2 vs 2 for the final stretch. If the Snow Trolls can't do it, there's not a good chance the Olog Hai would fare better against dwarves :/
    I could've sworn snow trolls had AP though, which would help quite a bit could be wrong though

When I played the campaign, my trolls has been slain in an auto-resolve battle. If you want to kill them in campaign, use a large quantity of troops and auto-resolve, since auto resolve works by numbers, not strenght...
    In sieges they are a good distraction to soldiers in the main gate, when your soldiers attack in the flank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrael View Post
    I could've sworn snow trolls had AP though, which would help quite a bit could be wrong though
    No, none of the trolls are AP. You would think with the pickaxes they would be (dwarven miners have it haha). They would be overpowered if they had AP, you know? Buuuuuut since the OoG units are crap anyway, I guess it would make dwarven battles more balanced. I hate charging the back of dwarven units and then losing most of my trolls

But yea, never ever never ever ever never ever use autoresolve if you have trolls in your army

But yea, never ever never ever ever never ever use autoresolve if you have trolls in your army
    True story, I learned the lesson there...
    Sauron and Balrog are the same. They do a super rampage and never dies so easily, only in auto-resolve they die like trolls.
    But I got an idea now to reinforce my frontier with trolls, because only 3 troops of trolls detonate a big army.
    And one last thing, trolls don't have armor (only Olog-hai has), they are vulnerable to missiles, principally ballistas, as some guys said. My friend discovered that some units of the elves can destroy trolls easily.

I think trolls fight better in groups too. For example, 1 troll unit vs 1 ironguard unit the trolls may lose, but 2v2 the trolls can win if they gang one enemy at a time, because of the knockdown effect. The more trolls in one area = enemies knocked down all around so there are less enemies swinging their swords at the trolls. Its even more effective against units that can rout, because the trolls have the scare ability (ironguards dont rout though)

@IgorWarrior: Smiths of Eregion and Eldar/Sindar units will demolish any unit besides mumakil, so I can't blame you there haha

@DrDragunThey do wonders in groups, especially in charges, but I don't see how 2 units of trolls vs 2 iron guards would fare better than 1 vs 1 :/

I think wargs scare better since they're cavalry, but that's my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12