Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Astray Apprentice -- A Skyrim AAR (23/6/13)

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Astray Apprentice -- A Skyrim AAR (10/6/13)

Chapter Twenty Nine: A New Direction

Vaela snatched her dagger off the ground with great haste, and retreated before the rest of the High Guard could react. Nikolai took a few steps back and whispered to Vaela, 'if I can't kill them with this damned weapon, I'll at least distract a few of them. Give you and that person some time to finish them off." With that, Nikolai lunged into the fray again, sweeping his elven battleaxe in a wide arc, knocking aside some of the High Guard but not seriously injuring any. That, however, gave the person whom Vaela suspected was Erin some time to shoot another flanking High Guard in the chest and cripple him.

Before Vaela could even move, another two of the High Guard fell, clutching their sides in agony. They writhed in extreme pain on the ground, and the skin area around their arrow wounds rapidly festered. Vaela realized that their savior had poisoned the arrows beforehand. Taking a few more steps back, Vaela tried to calm herself. Her heart was still racing after her near death experience, and she was still partly traumatized. Two out of the original eight High Guards had went after Nikolai. Three lay dead or dying on the floor. That left three of the Thalmor High Guard still combat-ready. Those three had already shaken off the shock of the sudden attack, and had now refocused on the battle at hand. Two of them sprinted towards Vaela's savior, while the remaining one charged directly at her.

Vaela shrugged off her lethargy and terror to raise both her palms, and directed whatever energy she had left into them. The result was a spectacular burst of flames, not unlike the dual casting she had used in Bleak Falls Barrow. However, this time, it felt more powerful. The very air around Vaela's palms seemed to exude intense warmth and heat.

The High Guard charging Vaela reacted instantly, raising his shield in an attempt to deflect the flames. Vaela feared that the shield, like the rest of the High Guard's armor, would be enchanted and resilient to her magic. To her pleasant surprise, her flames stopped the High Guard dead in his tracks and scorched a hole in the High Guard's shield, penetrating his armor soon after. Vaela had no idea why this was happening, but she continued dual casting all the same. The High Guard struggled to take another step forwards, but the forceful impact of Vaela's magic hampered and hassled him to the point that he was unable to move in any direction. Vaela could not see his facial expression clearly due to the heat waves produced by her magical flames, but she could hear him screaming in pain. She almost felt a shred of sympathy for him, and almost felt as if she wanted to stop this torture to both of them. She almost felt like shouting out in frustration at the needless deaths she had to endure time and time again.

Almost. Instead, her instincts told her to keep channeling energy to her palms, and in no time, the screams stopped. The High Guard dropped his shield dramatically, and sank to his knees beside another of his comrades. He tottered pathetically towards the nearby river, seeking to extinguish the burning flames that were causing him indescribable pain. His armor was still alight and on fire, and there was nothing Vaela could, or would do to keep him from cooking inside his own apparel. Vaela averted her eyes, not for the first time.

Vaela didn't see any other High Guards within close proximity of her, and so she went to search for Nikolai. She found him frantically trying to shake off the two Thalmor soldiers that had pursued him since the start of the fight. He too was tiring--that much Vaela could tell. Praying to whatever gods she could think of, Vaela drew her enchanted dagger and crept up behind one of the High Guard. He had not noticed her, and was egging on his comrade in front of him. Vaela took a deep breath, then plunged the dagger down on the High Guard's neck guard with all her might.

To her relief, the dagger sunk deep into the High Guard's neck with a squelch, and the High Guard roared in pain. A purple surge of power flitted from vein to vein, and within moments the High Guard had stopped moving. However, his death had attracted the attention of his compatriot, who now turned to face Vaela. She tried to pull her dagger out of the dead High Guard's body, but her hands were slick with crimson blood and the dagger would not budge. Vaela looked up in fear. The other High Guard was bellowing in rage, and would have charged her if Nikolai did not shoulder-charge the High Guard. The two of the fell to the ground and wrestled, giving Vaela time to wipe the blood off from her hands and retrieve her dagger. She looked up just in time to see the High Guard get the better of Nikolai, raise its weapon above his head...

And get shot under the armpit by an arrow. The High Guard yelled in pain and kicked Nikolai aside. The High Guard stood up, pulled the arrow out of his armpit, and promptly received another one in the head. Vaela gasped as the High Guard toppled to the ground, not getting the opportunity to rise again. And with that, the battlefield condensed into silence for the first time in minutes.

Vaela kicked aside the lifeless corpse of a High Guard and sheathed her dagger as she helped Nikolai up. "Are you alright?" She asked worriedly. Nikolai nodded and wiped some blood off his armor. "Don't fret. I'm fine." Then, looking around, he asked, "where's the person in white?" Vaela turned around and saw the figure at the other end of the house, searching the bodies of the dead High Guards. She pointed this out to Nikolai, and the duo made their way there together.

"Greetings." Nikolai began when they were within earshot. "Whoever you are, the both of us would like to thank you for saving our lives. What can we do for you?" Vaela, however, was far more direct than she would have originally liked. "Erin...is that you?"

While Nikolai bent down to check that the High Guards were really dead, the figure in white removed her helmet and spoke calmly. "That I am. It is good to see you again, apprentice." Nikolai looked up in confusion. "You two know each other?" he asked, but received no reply.

Vaela laughed gratefully. "It is you!" She exclaimed in delight. Erin afforded herself a smile, but Vaela could not stop gushing praise in awe of her. "You were truly magnificent! I have never seen anyone take down the Thalmor like that! I've seen what you are capable of, back when we were adventuring in Bleak Falls Barrow, but this has surpassed all of my expectations!"

Erin placed a hand on Vaela's shoulder. "I am glad that you appreciate my skills. However, there is much for us to discuss, and many things we have to do." She then glanced at Nikolai. "May I know who this is?" Vaela grinned at Erin, blushing slightly. "He's my bodyguard." She replied. That answer made Erin raise an eyebrow. "Really?" She asked. Vaela nodded, then realized in a flash what Erin was afraid of. She chuckled loudly, instantly defusing the tension in the air. "You can trust him. I swear to you, upon my life, that this man is trustworthy. In fact, he's the most trustworthy man you can ever hope to meet, if I may say so. He and his family has helped me ever since we parted, Erin." That answer seemed to satisfy Erin, who grunted. "Come, let us head to the Inn. You both look tired and hungry, and in desperate need of nourishment." Erin slipped on her helmet and led the way, with Vaela and Nikolai following close behind.

~~~~

The Inn was warm at the very least, even if it did not serve the greatest food. Vaela chewed twice on a stale loaf of bread before discarding it. Erin sighed and reached into her burlap pouch. "Here. Have some of these." She handed Vaela some fresh meat. "I hunted for these on the way here. Eat. You'll need your strength." Vaela gratefully accepted the offer and munched on the meat. It smelled great, and tasted even better. Eating it alone seemed to fill Vaela with the energy she needed. On the other hand, Nikolai settled for some hot stew instead.

"Is this place safe?" Vaela asked.

"Don't worry. No more of those Thalmor will be chasing you, not for a few days at least." Erin replied confidently. Then, she lowered her voice and leaned in, asking Vaela, "what I'm more concerned about is if anyone in black has been stalking you."

Vaela scratched her head in a vain attempt to recall the memories of the past few days. Finally, she smiled and shook her head. Erin, however, did not smile. "That is both good and bad, although it is more good than bad." This puzzled Vaela greatly, and after a sip of water, she asked, "how did you find me, Erin?" Erin looked around the inn, which was sparsely populated. "Not here." She stated. Erin stood from her chair and walked up to the innkeeper, who acknowledged her with a grunt. "A room for one night." She then tossed a sack of coins onto the counter. The innkeeper grunted again and indicated the largest room the inn had to offer. Erin beckoned to Vaela and Nikolai, and the three of them went in and sat down in a circle. Erin did not remove her helmet, and so Vaela did not remove her hood either.

"Now, to answer your question," Erin started, but before she continued, she drew a deep breath, as if pondering some huge dilemma. Then, she answered with the slightest modicum of uncertainty, "I've been following you." Vaela and Nikolai looked at each other in surprise and confusion. "Following me? For what?"

"To observe you." Came Erin's cryptic reply. This befuddled Vaela and Nikolai even more. "Observing me? For what reason?" Vaela inquired somewhat preposterously. Nikolai too was also on edge, as he felt very protective of Vaela.

"You will know when the time comes." Erin replied. "Something big is going on, something that will affect all of us. Your Master, whom you came to rescue, is not here. Instead, a group of powerful High Guards were lying in ambush for you, and would have killed you if not for my intervention. He wasn't at the Thalmor Manor either, the most logical place for him to be held. You have been led astray, apprentice. That much you can be sure of." Each one of these words stung Vaela's heart, as she realized what Erin was hinting at.

"But what's going on?" Vaela asked, desperate for answers. "Why can't I find my Master?"

Erin gazed fondly at Vaela, with a twinkle in her eyes. "You will know when the time comes. All will be revealed to you when the time is right. Now is not that time." As Vaela's frustration mounted, Erin asked gently, "do you trust me, Vaela? You know that I mean you no harm at all." Vaela snorted. "Of course I trust you. There's no reason for me to think otherwise. You've been a good friend to me since Bleak Falls Barrow, and I still have to find a way to thank you for saving our lives."

"Good. Very good." Erin stated with approval. "I will help you find your Master soon. But not yet. What you must do now is to train hard at the College of Winterhold. The mages there are experienced. Did your previous Senior tell you anything about them?"

Her mind still racked with confusion and disquiet, Vaela recalled her Senior Sonje telling her that a mage named Faralda was an old friend. She mentioned this to Erin, who grinned widely. "Ah, yes. Faralda. She was my childhood friend. Go to her, and learn more about magic. You are going to need it." Erin stood and made to leave.

"Wait! That's it?" Vaela remarked quizzically. "What about finding my Master? What about all the oddities in my adventure? What about you?" Erin paused, and repeated the same statement she had said earlier. "All your questions will be answered in time. For now, stay in this room and recuperate. Your journey to the College of Winterhold starts early tomorrow. I will make sure that no one troubles the both of you tonight. Have a good rest." Erin said on her way out. Despite that, Vaela had one more question. "Erin!" She called out, "at least answer me this. What are you?"

Erin turned around, smiling widely behind her white winged helmet. "Me? I am a Warden. Now go and rest. I'll be here tomorrow morning to give you more instructions then. Good day." Erin strode out of the room. Perplexed, Vaela yearned to ask more questions, but her exhaustion and a newly induced headache convinced her otherwise. She could see that Nikolai was just as tired as well. "Come on, let's tuck in." She urged half-heartedly. "You aren't hurt, are you?"

Nikolai shook his head. "I'm sorry that I failed to protect you adequately." He stated miserably. Vaela immediately countered this notion. "Please don't feel this way. You are already helping me a great deal, and I cannot imagine where I would be without your support and presence. Let's recover our strength first. Maybe we can get more answers from Erin tomorrow." Nikolai looked into Vaela's kind, twinkling eyes, and watched as she yawned like a little girl. "Alright then." He acquiesced. The both of them removed their unnecessary armor and garments, and hit the sack even as their heads touched their pillows.

~~~~

Vaela stirred. Something was in her mind, preventing her from sleeping. Was it the anxiety of the day's events?

No. A familiar presence could be felt in the deepest regions of her soul. Something that she had experienced before. With a flash, Vaela realized where she was in. "Hello again, Vaela." The voice intoned. Vaela sat bolt upright, only to realize that she wasn't even sitting down. The area surrounding her was all blue, and only that same voice could be heard.

"Things are moving apace now. You must be prepared for the trials ahead."

Vaela was now more disconcerted than ever. This wasn't just a simple dream. Someone was talking to her in real time. Vaela couldn't even see her body. "Where am I?" She asked.

"Let me show you." The voice responded.

The air around Vaela cleared quicker than she imagined possible, to reveal a lone figure standing upon what appeared to be the peak of a mountain. Strong gusts of wind whirled around, sending clumps of snow flying. A source of light that Vaela assumed was the Sun bore down on the mountain from the horizon. It was a beautiful, yet somehow dispiriting scene. After taking in the magnificence of the environment, Vaela shifted her focus to the figure in white.

The figure was garbed in almost the same exact armor as Erin had been wearing, except for a few notable enhancements. A pair of pure, majestic wings were visible on the back of the armor, appearing to be a much bigger version of the ones on the figure's helmet. Something resembling a cape or a piece of a gown stood out from beneath those wings, making the outfit seem even more regal and royal. Try as she might, Vaela could not 'walk' to the figure, who did not move either. The quiet solace of the high mountainside slowly engrossed Vaela. Until the figure spoke again.

"You must be wondering where you are now, and what is happening to you." The voice began. "Do not worry, no harm will befall you while you are in this state. It seems that you are the chosen one who can hear and see my memories. Heed my instructions well, and you will benefit greatly from it. Time is not our enemy yet, but it soon will be. Your enemies, indeed, our enemies, move against us quickly. We must act now while we have the chance. Most of what I'm saying now may sound like gibberish to you, and you are not to blame for that. In summary, follow what Erin tells you, and trust her. She will help you."

At the mention of Erin, Vaela's eyes lit up as she realized that the figure was probably related to Erin. "Who are you?" Vaela dared to ask. The figure spoke without moving. "I am a friend. One that longs to meet you, but will never get the opportunity to do so. I am the High Warden of the Mage's Hall."

Suddenly, the blue fog encircled Vaela again, and she was withdrawn from that false reality. Someone was shaking her. Vaela's eyes flew open, and in her haste, she almost hit Nikolai in the mouth. Vaela apologized, red in the face, but Nikolai chuckled. "Wake up, sleepyhead! Erin says it's time to go! We're going to Winterhold!"

Vaela rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. It seemed that her own life was no longer in her hands.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Wow. Absolutely fantastic. You keep things moving quite well. Never a dull moment. I find it hard to keep going with action sequences all the time, intertwining them with more immersive subdued and yet important chapters, I am concerned I might overdo the action but you keep it fresh my friend. Must have been tricky to get Erin to catch in those poses. The screenshots for me can be more challenging then the writing. I often feel like I am an illustrator and an author! I have truly grown to love your characters and their subtle nuances. Bravo!

The plot thickens. I wonder who this High Warden of the Mage's Hall is, and I wonder what secrets Erin is holding back from Vaela. I can hardly wait for the next fantastic update to come out!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    The plot thickens. I wonder who this High Warden of the Mage's Hall is, and I wonder what secrets Erin is holding back from Vaela. I can hardly wait for the next fantastic update to come out!
    Well, this Warden stuff will have some twists and turns here and there... and the next chapter should be out by today or tomorrow latest.

Edit: Well...I know I said that the update would be here but it looks like I've got to delay it until tomorrow at least. Computer is unusually slow and needs to be sent to repair. Don't worry nothing was lost and this AAR will still continue. It's just minor maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon View Post
    Wow. Absolutely fantastic. You keep things moving quite well. Never a dull moment. I find it hard to keep going with action sequences all the time, intertwining them with more immersive subdued and yet important chapters, I am concerned I might overdo the action but you keep it fresh my friend. Must have been tricky to get Erin to catch in those poses. The screenshots for me can be more challenging then the writing. I often feel like I am an illustrator and an author! I have truly grown to love your characters and their subtle nuances. Bravo!
    Haha I know how you feel. It takes me quite a while to find the exact spot and time to take screenshots, and more than five times I had to retake because during editing I found that there were problems such as the characters being portrayed too small etc. I had to reload my quicksave four times to catch Erin in that position . I too am concerned about overdoing it, but the next few chapters will be more...subtle. Thanks for reading again, and sorry about the wrong info about changing your thread title!
    Last edited by Swaeft; June 14, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Wow finally got time to read this update and just.....wow! I cannot wait to see what adventures await Vaela at the College of Winterhold. And who is this High Warden?

G-Ballz's Avatar Libertus

Tremendous updates, Swaeft!!

I've been busy the last few weeks, searching for a new house and temporarily moving my girlfriend into my current house. Madness!

Anyway I haven't had time to visit here in a few weeks, and Vaela's story was the first one I had to read. I love how you've developed all the characters, and how the story keeps evolving into new angles with new threats and storylines. It was fun to be able to read three updates in a row!

And now there's this crazy winged warden of the mage's hall, dream premonitions, increasing magic ability, deceit, intrigue... and all that added onto the previously great elements of this tale.

I can't wait to see what happens next! Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Ballz View Post

I've been busy the last few weeks, searching for a new house and temporarily moving my girlfriend into my current house. Madness!

Anyway I haven't had time to visit here in a few weeks, and Vaela's story was the first one I had to read. I love how you've developed all the characters, and how the story keeps evolving into new angles with new threats and storylines. It was fun to be able to read three updates in a row!

And now there's this crazy winged warden of the mage's hall, dream premonitions, increasing magic ability, deceit, intrigue... and all that added onto the previously great elements of this tale.

Welcome back! I know I have missed you around the forums

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Wow finally got time to read this update and just.....wow! I cannot wait to see what adventures await Vaela at the College of Winterhold. And who is this High Warden?
    Thank you for stopping by yet again, Merchant! I too am hoping for a dynamic angle to this part of the story, but I can assure you that training will be involved. This High Warden is a higher warden than other wardens.

It's awesome to have you back, mate! Hope you found a great house and have a great gf I am immensely honored that you read my AAR first, and on that subject I'd like to apologize for not updating in nine days. My computer was too slow and I sent it for repair, just got it back like half an hour ago. I'm working on the chapter right now, it will be up in about 5 hours. I hope you enjoyed the previous updates

And the Warden isn't crazy!! Well hopefully I'll get that fleshed out soon Thank you for coming back sir!

Welcome back! I know I have missed you around the forums
    Yes, I so have to agree with you. Nice to see you updating too! All the best man!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well guys this is really sucks but looks like the PC has got to go to repair again. It has a virus inside and keeps crashing, and Trend Micro is going crazy. Don't worry like I said before I have this in backups so nothing is lost, but I'm really sorry to all of you. The chapter is like 3/5 done too.....

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Well guys this is really sucks but looks like the PC has got to go to repair again. It has a virus inside and keeps crashing, and Trend Micro is going crazy. Don't worry like I said before I have this in backups so nothing is lost, but I'm really sorry to all of you. The chapter is like 3/5 done too.....
    Don't worry about it, mate. It's not your fault. Infact, I'm actually pretty impressed. I'm usually baffled by the amount of AARs that writers discontinue because of a "computer crash" or "corrupt save". Having had to only ever do a system recovery once (during which I made backups) in my whole computing life and only had corrupt saves from console games and when I mess with the game files, I often find the frequency with which these problems happen, hard to believe.

So for you to say that you made backups and plan to continue this AAR just shows how committed you are and how much you're enjoying writing this story.

I'm happy anyway. I spent a long time away from this forum and as a result, I fell behind on updates. Way behind. Infact I fell so far behind that I took your whole story so far, turned it into a MOBI file, put it on my Kindle and read it all the way from start to finish. So I'm up-to-date and eagerly awaiting your next update

That's brutal for you, Swaeft. I recently got a nasty virus just from YouTube. Your story is fascinating, and I'll be here to check for updates whenever they happen. Take your time and get that computer fixed up before you're tempted to...

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Don't worry about it, mate. It's not your fault. Infact, I'm actually pretty impressed. I'm usually baffled by the amount of AARs that writers discontinue because of a "computer crash" or "corrupt save". Having had to only ever do a system recovery once (during which I made backups) in my whole computing life and only had corrupt saves from console games and when I mess with the game files, I often find the frequency with which these problems happen, hard to believe.

So for you to say that you made backups and plan to continue this AAR just shows how committed you are and how much you're enjoying writing this story.

I'm happy anyway. I spent a long time away from this forum and as a result, I fell behind on updates. Way behind. Infact I fell so far behind that I took your whole story so far, turned it into a MOBI file, put it on my Kindle and read it all the way from start to finish. So I'm up-to-date and eagerly awaiting your next update
    haha thats a great idea. I haven't seen you around my AARs in some time either. Swing by and say hi

Wow feel so sorry for you. Losing your computer is one thing but when it effects your AAR! In fact, you've reminded me to backup my own save files!

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

haha thats a great idea.
    Aye, it's been a huge help. I don't know if it's the uncomfortable desk chair I have or my lack of attention span but I always find it hard to do lots of reading on a computer screen. So what happened before with story-driven AAR was that if I fell behind on a few updates, I would basically have to skip them to catch up or just give up on reading the AAR. Thankfully now, my Kindle has come to the rescue (I mean is there anything they can't do )

I haven't seen you around my AARs in some time either. Swing by and say hi
    I had been swinging by every now and then, but really to just glance at threads and then leave. I don't know why but I should be more active and interested from now on. I'm currently reading Joe Abercrombie's "The Heroes" (Amazing author by the way), so that may tie me up a bit, but I'm planning on catching up with your story next and then reading Templar Knight's story before I fall too far behind

From my experience those computer repair places aren't all that great. Since you have full backups of everything in my opinion the best thing you could do would be to wipe your hard drive and start fresh. It's a pain in the ass, but at least you know that the virus will be gone and everything will be back to normal. In any event, I hope you get your computer problems solved and can get back to normal operations soon.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

I apologize if this seems obvious, but please do a Malwarebytes full scan before you format the hard drive. Over the years that program has twice rescued my PC from viruses that scared me into contemplating formatting. The full scan seems to take two to four hours depending on how much data you store. But I urge you to at least do the old F8-to-safe mode and run the Malwarebytes scan under your Administrator login. Good luck!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I apologize if this seems obvious, but please do a Malwarebytes full scan before you format the hard drive. Over the years that program has twice rescued my PC from viruses that scared me into contemplating formatting. The full scan seems to take two to four hours depending on how much data you store. But I urge you to at least do the old F8-to-safe mode and run the Malwarebytes scan under your Administrator login. Good luck!
    Please, do not apologize! You gave me a huge tip here, and I am glad to say that you have indeed helped restore my system, details of which I am just about to explain. Thanks!

That's brutal for you, Swaeft. I recently got a nasty virus just from YouTube. Your story is fascinating, and I'll be here to check for updates whenever they happen. Take your time and get that computer fixed up before you're tempted to...
    To be honest I was punching my CPU because getting a double whammy wasn't nice...thanks again for the support, it means alot to me

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    From my experience those computer repair places aren't all that great. Since you have full backups of everything in my opinion the best thing you could do would be to wipe your hard drive and start fresh. It's a pain in the ass, but at least you know that the virus will be gone and everything will be back to normal. In any event, I hope you get your computer problems solved and can get back to normal operations soon.
    Yes, yes, you are absolutely right. I've finally lost my faith in those repair shops, and I have sent my computer to a Windows repair center these past few days. They also wiped everything clean from my computer, so now it's squeaky clean and amazingly fast! I just tested skyrim and it's really fast with a higher FPS! Maybe this was a blessing in disguise?? Nah, I kid, I would have done just as fine without this disaster -.- Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Wow feel so sorry for you. Losing your computer is one thing but when it effects your AAR! In fact, you've reminded me to backup my own save files!
    Thanks for the support, and yes, go get your files backed up too! Won't want to lose that mighty fine AAR of yours

Why thank you. To say that you are baffled by those discontinued AARs baffles me as well, because my OS is quite new, yet steadily slows down for no apparent reason. I suppose my own (unheard of) M2TW england AAR corrupt save was because I was messing with the unit size manually (bad idea ) But I'll leave that in the past now. I would like to extend my thanks for this wonderfully encouraging post of yours. I suppose a MOBI file is a format for the Kindle device, which is really really cool. Thanks for being so supporting, and it's nice to have you back too!

Aye, it's been a huge help. I don't know if it's the uncomfortable desk chair I have or my lack of attention span but I always find it hard to do lots of reading on a computer screen. So what happened before with story-driven AAR was that if I fell behind on a few updates, I would basically have to skip them to catch up or just give up on reading the AAR. Thankfully now, my Kindle has come to the rescue (I mean is there anything they can't do )

I had been swinging by every now and then, but really to just glance at threads and then leave. I don't know why but I should be more active and interested from now on. I'm currently reading Joe Abercrombie's "The Heroes" (Amazing author by the way), so that may tie me up a bit, but I'm planning on catching up with your story next and then reading Templar Knight's story before I fall too far behind
    That's really wonderful to hear, it's good that you are enjoying your time. I hope to keep that up! Chiru's AAR is also great, and he has already put in a plot with many possibilities, something I have yet to Master or even use adequately. Templar Knight's FF is also a great read, what with all his powerful vocabulary and interesting turn of events. I hope you enjoy your time even more

And finally...after restoring my system I am now working on the chapter. It is almost done and should be here within an hour, maybe an hour and a half max. I am so sorry for the events these past few days...I was pretty frustrated.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Chapter Thirty: Encounter

Vaela headed out of the inn to be greeted by the cheery morning sunshine. Erin had already saddled Starstruck well with provisions for the long journey to the cold region of Winterhold. Everyone seemed to be ready, except for Vaela. She walked straight up to Erin and whispered, "can I talk to you for a while more?"

To Vaela's surprise, she noted that Erin was no longer wearing her armor, but instead, she was garbed in civilian clothing. Erin folded her arms, and in response to Vaela's query, she replied, "I was going to have to brief you about this trip anyway, so let's go inside."

"Why are you dressed like this?" Vaela inquired, once she was seated down back inside the inn. Erin ran a hand through her hair and replied after choosing her words carefully. "It's best that a Warden does not get spotted at this critical time. I know that you have many questions now, and I will answer some of them right now. Ask away, and I will answer as best as I can."

Being sort of satisfied, Vaela rubbed her chin with her left hand's index finger and thumb while deciding on which question to ask. It wasn't difficult to decide, and Vaela's mouth soon opened with her first question. "Do you know where my Master is? Why isn't he here?"

Erin's eyes showed a mix of disappointment and dispiritedness, and regretfully, she said, "I'm afraid that I cannot answer your first question as of yet. However, I am able to reply to your second query to some extent at least. However, before I reveal his location, you must promise me that whatever happens, you will follow my instructions." This caused Vaela some concern, and her lip quivered for a few seconds, displaying her unease. However, deep down in her heart, she knew that Erin would not lead her to ruin, and remembering the premonition that she had yesterday gave her more confidence. She looked at Erin and nodded.

Erin exhaled softly with relief, then started, "Your Master is at a very secure Thalmor location, and he has been there this whole time." A brief paused ensued as Erin gauged the reactions of Vaela and Nikolai.

Before she could continue, Nikolai interjected in disbelief and anger. "So you mean to say that you knew this all the time?" When Erin inclined her head, Nikolai erupted in fury. "And you just let us? Do you know how much danger we were in? Not just our lives, but the lives of others! You--" Nikolai paused to take a breath, but Vaela restrained him from continuing his heated outburst.

"What? Am I wrong?" Nikolai seethed, but did not continue ranting. Vaela too remained silent, her emotions conflicting between angst and trust towards Erin. Her eyes stared at Erin's, coldly demanding an explanation, of which Erin was just about to give. Erin raised a hand in a gesture of peace. "I know you both are angry, but I really need your trust on this. Vaela, let's make a deal. You go to Winterhold and finish your Apprenticeship, and I'll tell you everything you need to know."

Nikolai started to get himself worked up in anger, but Vaela agreed, although not without some consternation. Nikolai stared mouth agape at Vaela, but his devotion to Vaela soon overcame his rage. It helped that Vaela took his hand and promised to take full responsibility. "I'll have to get stronger to fight the Thalmor anyway. This represents a good chance for me." Vaela reasoned. Nikolai calmed down somewhat, but his anger was not fully abated. Erin did not smile, but placed her hand on Vaela's shoulder and squeezed it gently in a sign of friendship. "Well done. I've never lost faith in you." However, as Erin made to stand, Vaela opened her mouth to protest.

"At least tell me something. You can't possibly send me to Winterhold with me not knowing why I have to abandon my search for my Master."

Much to Vaela's surprise, Erin's mouth parted in a small smile. "I knew your curiosity was hard to control. Very well. I can tell you this much. We have information that the Thalmor are hiding your Master at a very secure location of which it would be impossible for you to breach with your current skills and knowledge. We need you to travel to the College of Winterhold to further hone and develop your magical skills and abilities before you can be allowed to continue your search for him."

This explanation just barely managed to satisfy Vaela, but then a new thought sprang up in her mind. "Why can't the Mage's Hall help me in this search? Surely someone can help me." Vaela asked. Nikolai folded his arms in agreement. Erin controlled her emotions and replied plainly. "Remember the chaos currently engulfing our Hall? We still have not elected our two new Ducals to lead the Hall, and the investigators still have not turned up any new leads besides. Until this crisis is resolved, you can't trust anyone. Well, besides me that is."

Vaela nodded, absorbing the information. Nikolai remained silent, as if finally calming himself down and thinking rationally. Erin took their silence as compliance. She raised a hand, but this time pointing it towards the door of the inn rather than raising it straight up as a gesture of peace. "The Sun is up. Shall we?"

Barely five minutes later, Vaela was saddled onto Starstruck and ready to head to Winterhold. Erin had not lied, Skyrim itself was basking in the Sun's warm gaze, and birds flocked together in groups above Ivarstead, looking for places to nest. The air was warm, just about perfect for travel. Nikolai had refused to sit beside Vaela on Starstruck this time, choosing to walk on foot, claiming that he needed to let his stomach work on his heavy breakfast. Vaela could tell that he was in fact trying to straighten his thoughts and let off some steam, and so she did not stop him. It was a long, long walk to Winterhold, but Vaela doubted that she could convince Nikolai to ride Starstruck anyway. "He's stubborn, in a gentlemanly, charming way." She thought.

Before they left, Erin had a final gift for Vaela--a vial of swirling blue liquid. She explained that the liquid inside, when in contact with anyone, would drain them of all magical abilities. "Useful in a fight when your opponent outmatches you with their skill." With that, Erin bade them farewell and slapped Starstruck on his side, sending him cantering at a slow pace out of the town in the general direction of Winterhold. The Sun, still low in the sky, showered them with its rays, as if wishing them a safe journey to Winterhold. Little did Vaela expect that the journey would be quite dangerous, and almost fatal...

~~~~

The endless pattering of Starstruck's hooves on the gravel gave way to audible squelches on the soft dirt after some time. This repetitive staccato was interrupted by Vaela's own footsteps. "It's about time." Nikolai's voice wafted from over her. Vaela looked up at Nikolai, who was currently saddled on Starstruck. "You sure you don't want to ride a little longer?" Vaela asked.

Nikolai jumped off Starstruck's back and landed a few feet away from where Vaela was standing. "I should be asking you that question." He held out one of Starstruck's stirrups for her, waiting for Vaela to climb on. Vaela hadn't been able to fully convince Nikolai to sit on Starstruck's back while she walked, but at least she had been able to sort of force him to agree to a compromise--that they would swap positions every half hour. As she mounted Starstruck, Vaela mused that she would rather have Nikolai sitting with her on Starstruck's back so that they would not have to go through this awkward hassle. However, she cared very much about Starstruck as well, the loyal horse that never backed down from carrying their burdens. She knew that it would take Starstruck too much energy to carry both of them for an extended period of time, and even though he had done it from the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood to Ivarstead, the distance from Ivarstead to Winterhold was much, much greater.

The minutes ticked by as Vaela and Nikolai continued on towards Winterhold. In order to ensure that were in a good condition to travel, Nikolai allowed Starstruck to take a path right next to a river. Before long, Vaela noted that it was already late afternoon. They had been travelling for eight hours with few breaks in between. "Let's look for a good place to rest." Vaela called out to Nikolai, who nodded in agreement. As luck would have it, a run-down shed came into view a few minutes down the road.

The shed was hidden from above by a hill, which rendered it practically invisible from the path on top. Vaela silently thanked Nikolai for his foresight in travelling right next to the river. As Vaela dismounted, she noted that a brown bear was lying on the ground in front of the shed. She walked over and quickly realized that the bear was dead. "Probably a hunter's work." She reasoned. She then took no more notice of the bear, and went to inspect the shed. However, Nikolai noticed that the blood on the ground was fresh, and deduced that the bear had been killed within the past hour. He mentioned this to Vaela, who didn't think much of it.

But once Vaela stepped inside the shed, something else caught her attention. "Nikolai! Over here!" She exclaimed. "Oh my gosh, is that fresh as well?"

Nikolai rushed over and to his horror, he found himself staring at a broken and bloodied ribcage. An even bloodier skull lay a few inches away from it, and Nikolai assumed that it belonged to the...

"Darn." Nikolai spat. "Probably the last occupant of this place. Would explain the bear." Vaela closed her eyes as Nikolai unceremoniously kicked the body parts out of the house. The fire in the shed was still burning, which suggested that the previous owner had been here very recently. "This is disgusting." Vaela commented, pinching her nose. The acrid, pungent smell made her feel nauseas, and so Vaela went outside for some fresh air. A few minutes later, the smell subsided and Nikolai emerged from the house. "I'll go and see if anyone has been around here." Nikolai offered.

Vaela could see no problem with that, so she nodded, sending Nikolai trooping off into the hill behind. To pass the time, Vaela went back into the shed to inspect its contents. There were two clean beds, a chest and a tanning rack. There was a small garden outside the shed, so small that it was only able to house four cabbage plants. "This owner must have had a miserable life." Vaela sighed. She muttered a short prayer to the gods to look after the dead owner, then went on to inspect the contains of the chest.

When Vaela opened the chest, a large pile of junk spilled out. Rotten food, dirty rags and the like. Vaela belched noisily and started kicking the smelly garbage outside with the intent of depositing them into the running river. Vaela was so engrossed in ridding herself of this filth that she barely noticed a purple bolt of lightning flash past her head.

"What the..." Vaela gasped as she looked up. She was just about to find the source of that energy when she found herself staring at a figure armored entirely in black.

If Vaela thought that Erin's Warden Armor was fancy, this came as a surprise. It looked faintly like Erin's own combat armor, but the blackish-gold tint and the weird symbols all over it made it appear vastly different, and more intimidating too. Vaela shot a quick glance towards the figure's helmet and its golden pointed tip. If the situation was more friendly, Vaela would have smiled at the unicorn-esque appearance, but this looked to be a person who wanted Vaela nothing less than dead. If Erin's armor was regal, this person's armor looked like a nightmare. Throw in the two sizzling balls of purple energy in her perpetrator's palms, and the whole package was more than enough to throw Vaela off guard and shock her.

"What do you want from me?" Vaela asked, buying some time to prepare herself for combat. Her adversary did not answer, and in fact seemed to take heart from the way Vaela's voice was quivering. Her opponent tried to shock Vaela to the bone, but Vaela threw up a ward and blocked the effects. Then, she went on the offensive just as her Master had taught her, and blasted her opponent with a burning gout of fire. However, her opponent simply laughed as the flames dissipated around the blackish-gold armor. Vaela stared as her opponent's armor glowed blue, as if it was absorbing the energy of Vaela's spells. It was then Vaela knew she was in for a real fight. Trying to assess her next move while keeping an eye on her enemy, Vaela thought fast.

However, her adversary didn't give her a single chance. She immediately returned fire, literally, as she overwhelmed Vaela's wards with an intense spurt of flames. Vaela stumbled back in surprise--her adversary was no apprentice spellcaster. If not for her circlet, she would have probably been scorched to death. Vaela had lost count of how many times she owed her life to it.

Staying idle was courting certain death, so Vaela sidestepped left and right in an attempt to confuse her opponent as to her movements. She still had no idea what to do, and her heart rate was increasing exponentially. Then, she saw her adversary prepare another bolt of purplish lightning. Her adversary was well trained and more experienced in magic than she was, and Vaela was fast running out of ideas. It would be impossible to erect another ward with the limited amount of time she had on her hands, and so Vaela made a snap decision. Throwing caution to the winds, Vaela removed her defenses and committed all power to the flames she spewed out of her palms.

The flames collided with the lightning in mid-air...but to Vaela's horror, they did not explode. Instead, the bolt of lightning surged through the air and caught her squarely in the chest. Unbeknownst to her, her flames had also made it through and had scorched her opponent, forcing her opponent to stop casting spells for the moment and possibly saving her life.

A searing pain lodged itself in Vaela's stomach as she was swept off her feet and thrown several feet into the air. When she landed on her back, she did so with a sickening thud. Her pouches were squashed flat and Vaela could hear many vials breaking. That's it! The vials! Vaela realized. She staggered to her feet and stumbled to the back of the shed. Her hands shaking from her near-death experience, she searched for the vial Erin had given her. To her immense relief, it was still intact with all of the swirling blue liquid inside. Just then, a voice rang out from the opposite side of the house.

"Come out and face your doom bravely, you coward! Your Master was right to abandon you! You're a disgrace to his teachings!"

From that taunt, Vaela could tell that her opponent was a female. "How does this woman know about my Master?" Vaela wondered. Pushing such thoughts aside for the moment, Vaela uncapped the vial and prepared to lob it at her enemy. "My Master didn't abandon me!" Vaela roared with a surge of anger, as she stepped out from behind the shed and threw the vial at her opponent. Her opponent was taken aback by this unexpected move, and could do nothing to prevent the vial from breaking upon contact with her armor. Vaela readied her flames and prepared to attack her enemy.

A few seconds passed during which nothing seemed to happen. Vaela's adversary laughed sarcastically. "Wow, that's really powerful! What's next? Useless poiso--"

Just when Vaela thought that her vial had cracked and it's liquid become contaminated, her adversary stopped her taunting and clutched her head. "What treachery is this?" She cackled. "What was in that vial?"

”You're horse feed now!" Vaela yelled triumphantly as she watched her opponent fail spectacularly in trying to conjure up another deadly bolt of lightning. Confident of victory, she unleashed the full power of her flames onto her opponent, eager to watch her thrash and burn to death like the rest of the Thalmor scum Vaela had incinerated.

Instead, the flames simply dissipated around her opponent's armor just like before, leaving her opponent unharmed. This set Vaela back psychologically, and even worse for her was the fact that her opponent now drew a sharp dagger from her belt. The dagger was even darker than her opponent's armor, but it resembled Erin's bow because of some gleaming red lines moving down the blade. Vaela wondered if there was a connection between Erin and this figure somehow.

"You still can't hurt me with your puny magic. It's time for you to die!" The figure rasped. She charged forward menacingly, her right arm raised high. "So it's come to a brutal melee." Vaela whispered as she drew her own dagger. The sight of the enchanted dwarven dagger gave Vaela's attacker some pause, but her opponent still had enough conviction to keep running full pelt at Vaela.

"VAELA!" A terrified shout rang out from behind the hill, distracting both Vaela and her enemy. It was Nikolai, who had returned from scouting the area. "Get away from here!" Vaela shouted out to Nikolai, trying to warn him that this was a magical duel. Indeed, her opponent seemed to have rediscovered her temporarily disabled magical abilities, and her left hand now glowed purple. Vaela could imagine the horrible, twisted smile her opponent was wearing behind that dreadful mask. Left with no choice, and no hesitation, Vaela sliced her opponent across her upper chest. Her opponent stumbled back and stared furiously at Vaela, who sliced her enemy's breastplate yet again. This time, the enchantment on the dagger sparked to life and bathed her enemy in a fatal purple glow.

A single scream rang out, a single second passed by, and Vaela's opponent crumpled to the floor. Nikolai dashed down the slope and rushed over to support Vaela, who was on the verge of collapsing as well. He clutched her around the stomach, attempting to straighten her stance, then exclaimed with surprise, "You're hurt!" Vaela saw Nikolai look at his hands in fear as her own blood stained his palms.

Then, exhausted and wounded, she lost consciousness.

Default Re: The Astray Apprentice -- A Skyrim AAR (23/6/13)

Wow what a battle. Very good job of describing that. I have wondered next to that cabin as well and been mauled by a sabercat. haha. But anyway this woman in black i wonder if she is the opposite of Erin. Some sort of yin to the yang haha. She might be working to undermine the wardens and could be a taste of what is to come. Another secret order. the armor is fantastic though....even the funny helm Excellent job and cant wait to see what happens in Winterhold.

Default Re: The Astray Apprentice -- A Skyrim AAR (23/6/13)

Now that's what I call a duel. You did a great job of describing the fight, and I felt as if I was there watching it, from a safe distance of coarse. lol. I wonder if the women in the black armor is, or was, some sort of assassins the Thalmor might have hired to ice Vaela. I mean if I was the Thalmor I would want to take care of Vaela after all the Thalmor she has taken out. haha. Anyways, I hope that Vaela was not injured too badly during the fight and is able to recover quickly so she can get to Winterhold and continue her training. I do wonder now since Vaela was wounded if it will give an opportunity for her and Nikolai to better show their feelings towards each other.