Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese maritime aggression. Other East Asian nations now remember why they like America

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Chinese maritime aggression. Other East Asian nations now remember why they like America

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    My superman post was irony. Ofc I don't think they will wage war against China. My view is based on observing international relations throughout the history, and general behavior of great powers.
    Considering the enormous paradigm shift that took place following the Second World War and probably more crucially Vietnam, I don't see what good looking at the gunboat diplomacy of the mid- to late-19th century would do you when trying to second guess America's actions here.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Default Re: Chinese maritime aggression. Other East Asian nations now remember why they like America

When you mentioned it, I just got an idea why can't I explain it to someone like you

When you mentioned it, I just got an idea why can't I explain it to someone like you
    And what is someone like me? A rational realist?

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    someone who makes coherent and logical posts obviously, people like you are always picking at the arguments of poor souls like Petrucci... just because he cant use "facts" or "Examples" and his opinion MAY not have a basis in reality doesent mean you can just tell him hes wrong!

its like, his opinion, man.

s.rwitt's Avatar Shamb Conspiracy Member

Is that because its bull ?

Tribune

w...t....f.....

So essentially you don't want to explain it to me because you can't?

I don't even... what?

There is no shame in admitting you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Its the internet dude, shame doesn't come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    Its the internet dude, shame doesn't come into play.
    No, this is not the case.

There could be multiple explanations first off he may need to save face, then there is the thing where a person on the internet simply cannot admit to being incorrect.

Petrucci you have lost face here, just letting you know. A true reasonable person would admit to being wrong, you are being most unreasonable.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Comes Limitis

Considering the enormous paradigm shift that took place following the Second World War and probably more crucially Vietnam, I don't see what good looking at the gunboat diplomacy of the mid- to late-19th century would do you when trying to second guess America's actions here.
    Look up what forms of other "diplomacy" succesfully co-existed for GB along the gunboat diplomacy. If you dont, people pushing those buttons most certainly did.

And USA is fully endulged in gunboat diplomacy for all to see on various ocassions. It wouldnt dare that "form" on China though as it would be frankly stupid. It uses some of those other perfidious forms.

Whatever is clever kids. And thats why you need to study. The pentagon wont hire you believeing those fanciful official stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Of course the US government engaged in gunboat diplomacy. They were a developed and industrial nation in a time when it was cool to kill brown people and take their stuff. I don't know what you're getting at. Are you trying to say people deny this? And I'm pretty sure the US engaged in gunboat diplomacy on China with the rest. Could be wrong, though.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

So essentially you don't want to explain it to me because you can't?
    What do you need to know? Your previous post was confusing(at least for me) I didn't get much of it.
    @Kanaric, I wub pugs, frozen prince
    Can you please point me out about what I was wrong?
    Last edited by Petrucci; February 19, 2013 at 05:31 PM.

What do you need to know? Your previous post was confusing(at least for me) I didn't get much of it.
    @Kanaric, I wub pugs, frozen prince
    I need to know why you think the USA would spend billions ruining its trade relations.

Probably the part where you said the US is 'pretending to be better than everyone else' or whatever it was you made up.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

I'd just like a recentish example of actual gunboat diplomacy practiced by the US. And if you remove a few instances in the Cold War and playing in our own backyard for bananas you have to go back to the golden age of empire(s). But that's just since Petrucci is *such* a historian.

Since I don't believe the US is practicing gunboat diplomacy, I'll settle for an explanation of how the US is using it more than China in this specific instance.

I mean, do tell us all how the petite nations of SEA asking for American assistance is America flexing its muscle on its own behalf?
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; February 19, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

sephodwyrm's Avatar Praefectus

I am blessed with the rare opportunity of viewing this whole incident from Taiwan.

Frankly, our positions are quite weird:
    Opposition (DPP) - Erm...we think that that the incumbent party is getting too aggressive and threatening to sell our national dignity to China.
    Incumbent (NAT) - Erm...we think that it is inappropriate to sell our national dignity to Japan.

What I think: It's only a dispute when both sides think they own big balls. For Japan, their balls come from...US presence. Frankly, speaking, I thought that's funny. That's like putting another guy's balls in your own sacrum. And the US did warn Japan about mishandling their balls.
    Last edited by sephodwyrm; February 20, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
    Older guy on TWC.
    Done with National Service. NOT patriotic. MORE realist. Just gimme cash.
    Dishing out cheap shots since 2006.

Iraq is a modern example of gunboat diplomacy.

And the Chinese are literally carrying it out in the South China Sea.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Actually, it's the US which is using gunboat-diplomacy: China just has a few disagreements with its neighbours over borders and the US is using this to muscle its way in and indirectly fight China (just like UK during the 19th century). I'm fairly sure that without US influence, Vietnam and South Korea would surrender the useless plots of disputed area to China (like Russia did) and we wouldn't be talking about this.

Indeed, the US has no business even being in that area.
    Last edited by Darth Red; February 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: insult