View Poll Results: Uruk Crossbows or Archers?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossbows!

44 75.86%
  • Archers!

14 24.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uruk Crossbows or Archers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Uruk Crossbows or Archers?

So the title practically speaks for itself. Some of you might say that I need "a balance" or whatever, but from playing as Isengard, I can tell you that is not a good option. Isengard has a poor economy until you conquer a major moneymaker like Minas Tirith to support your ever growing campaign, so ranged units should be the least invested part of your army in terms of hiring units. The crossbows are AP and have much better stats overall than Uruk Archers, but I find the Uruk Archers hit faster, use flaming arrows, move faster, and don't have the straight line of fire.

I rarely use ranged units when playing orc factions, as they are more of a melee strategy campaign and their archers aren't even decent, but Isengard campaigns usually require a lot of defending (you can't tell me you blitz the entire campaign) and ranged units are extremely valuable in the M2 engine.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Uruk Crossbows or Archers?

Uruk Archers, yuck. Snaga Skirmishers then into Crossbows. I only keep archers if I have to deal with horse archers which is not a problem in sieges

Uruk Archers have worse stats than those Goblin Archers wearing the red bathrobes for armor. In fact I would rather use Ranged Orc Looters (the mercs) because they have 160 range instead of 140 and they can also use stakes and have 4 armor instead of 3.
    Last edited by DrDragun; February 06, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

The crossbows actually don't need to have a straight shot and can do volleys just like archers. I agree with the Snaga Achers into Uruk Crossbows. The Uruk Archers stat improvement over Snaga isn't enough to make up for the increased price, and having expendable Snagas that you can toss into melee when needed is useful.

JihadKebab's Avatar Laetus

Crossbows, hands down. That AP really comes in handy when you're figting the likes of Rohan.

lol, dont just look at stats number between snaga and uruk archers they are worlds apart, almost twice the range, much better accuracy and enough extra power to kill those cavalry rather than just tickling them.

Id trade 2 even 3 snagas for 1 uruk unit

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Crossbows

I'm in favor of hiring mercenary archers when I can (usually when initiating an invasion). Just makes life easier.
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Crossbows. Slower and fewer than the Archers, but even one group of Uruk crossbows can slaughter hundreds of enemies.

Crossbow the AP comes handy.

I'd have to say crossbow as well.

Crossbows...

archers are better for wall defence imo, but since isengard doesn't really have walled cities to defend, crossbows definitely.

As far as I have experienced it yet the Uruk-Hai crossbows are the strongest crossbow unit in the game. Am I right?

Muuuu

the only other crossbows are the dwarves aren't they?

Dwarven Iron Crossbows:
    Attack: 8 AP
    Range: 140

Uruk Crossbows from Isengard:
    Attack: 8 AP
    Range: 150

Rhunic Clan Crossbowmen:
    Attack: 7 AP
    Range: 140
    In it for the rep.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

rhun has crossbowmen .. what????

i have never played as them just dale and the knee biters and i have never seen crossbowmen...

For Isengard, the crossbows are vastly superior to their archers. In general however, I favour bows - I find the shorter range of crossbows to be irksome especially if you find yourself in a shootout and your opponent can hit you from a greater distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojobobo View Post
    For Isengard, the crossbows are vastly superior to their archers. In general however, I favour bows - I find the shorter range of crossbows to be irksome especially if you find yourself in a shootout and your opponent can hit you from a greater distance.
    Uruk-Hai crossbowmen have a higher armor rating than most archers do though, so they can take more punishment, and there's always the old military saying "if the enemy is in range, so are you" if their archers are in range of your archers (generally speaking) youre in range of their archers as well. so it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrael View Post
    Uruk-Hai crossbowmen have a higher armor rating than most archers do though, so they can take more punishment, and there's always the old military saying "if the enemy is in range, so are you" if their archers are in range of your archers (generally speaking) youre in range of their archers as well. so it doesn't really matter.
    unless your an elf or a ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Scholtae View Post
    unless your an elf or a ranger
    I realize that. hense the "(generally speaking)"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast