Thread: What faction should I play?

Default What faction should I play?

Hi there guys I am new to this forum and the mod and I am absolutely loving it, big fan of LOTR and this mod just makes it better, what faction should I play? I will be playing with MOS Submod too I want the faction too be:

- Quite Challenging (I want to be able to spend a lot of time on the campaign and hopefully conquer all of Middle-Earth).

- Lots Of Fun.

- A faction weak at the start that you wouldn't expect to conquer all of Middle-Earth.

- I really just can't decide.

I was thinking of going Isengard (The Uruk-Hai are probably the most amazing creatures in any fantasy film / book I have ever seen, simply incredible and the Orcs right behind them) they do seem a little too strong, or simply an Elf faction. Lord Celeborns faction (forget the name).

I also have a quick question, every faction varies on how many regions they need to conquer to "complete the game" if I say go the Elves that only need to hold 35 regions, once I have gotten to that point can I continue playing? or does the game just finish?

Default Re: What faction should I play?

Regarding the challenging, I think you could use gondor or Eriador (this starts weak and then becomes strong)

(of course if you want more challenging you can put in the max difficulty)

And as for fun I recommend the High Elves

OK thanks, I might try out High Elves I am not too sure about Gondor or Eriador, I will be playing at max difficulty, I did play a bit before as Eriador, ambushed by a group of rebels / bandits with a general all I had was Gandalf's Regiment, there was 432 of them and I believe 31 or 32 of me, we were all cavalry and they were all infantry, they had those weak cool looking badass assassin guys, terrible troops, in the end I killed 380 and lost around 16 and this was played at max difficulty and I was surprised that I won.

Well horses vs infantry is never a fair matchup, what you just described would be possible for any mounted BG as far as im aware (unless they have spears or pikes, then you're fooked!)

My personal favourite faction is Eriador, since they can eventually turn into the faction Arnor and that gives you something more to go for.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Isengard starts weak and has almost no cavalry, I think it fits your wishes perfectly.

If you have MOS installed then the Lorien Elves are pretty good - only 2 starting regions and not a great deal of "easy" expansion.

The thing I found amazing with them was the troops though. As I started the campaign I thought "how am I going to compete with only 2 regions, one of which is only a town?" and then I went to the recruitment page and saw how much the troops cost - every unit is over 1000 to train, and I got really concerned. Then I checked the actual unit stats and a big grin crept across my face. All the Lorien Elves have about 10+ defence skill and a good melee attack. Even the basic Archers are better melee units than most other factions' proper troops. The GB is a ridiculously good sharpshooter unit who also utterly dominate in Melee, you outrange and outpace virtually everything else....

Every fight you are outnumbered about 5 to 1 but it doesnt matter. I just did an epic defence with Haldir against a huge Isengard army, 500 vs about 3000. Just trapped them in a bottleneck in the town with Haldirs regiment holding the line and the rech of my archers all lined up behind raining death into the mass of orcs. Sheer madness.

Thanks for the replies guys Viskahn that seems like it's awesome, I have chosen guys, Lorien Elves they seem like there really fun, and the Elf armour is really sexy.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Try Gundabad later on, its pretty fun and much harder than playing with the OP elven units.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Gondor is win. Nothing beats a regiment of Gondorian infantrymen standing their ground against the hordes of Mordor, never giving up while they still have breath in their lungs, fighting so that the Free Peoples don't have to.

But yeah, Isengard or Lorien are the ones that fit your criteria, I'd say good choice.