Thread: G-Gameplay Overhaul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Icon14 G-Gameplay Overhaul

Good evening guys. I am here to present you my new mod : the G-Gameplay overhaul !
    This mod is an attempt to improve the global ETW gameplay, campaigns, AI, battles, without touching to the core of the game or changing completelly the look of it. The modifications are fundamental but do not alter the core of the game.

This mod does not touch to the Game Graphics, that's why it is FULLY compatible with some of the greatest mods out there, soundmods : NTW effects or NTW filters of NTW interface (not yet released) many unit retextures, Soundmods such as Diggy's soundmods even the famous, the great Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul. Don't hesitate to combine them, or even other mods that are as great but that I did not talk about. I use 12 submods with G-Gameplay and it works perfectly giving out a result that I can compare to Darthmod itself but with features I have fully choosen in my own !

New campaign AI :
    Based on Emotive Campaign AI :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AI is more likely to defend protectorates
    AI is more likely to invade from the sea
    AI does slightly less raiding at the time
    AI builds larger and balanced armies
    AI builds larger and stronger navies
    AI offers the player surrender notices
    AI is less likely to attack strong forces
    AI defends settlements really better
    AI is now more careful about wars
    AI uses more money in diplomacy
    AI now cares about military strenght

Indeed, AI still proposes some mad treaties, but those are difficult/impossible to mod and might only be reduced. For example I enhanced the AI considering the military strenght of both sides, so that weak nations are more afraid of stronger nations. Most of these informations come from our own playtests and if you experience contradictory behaviour don't hesitate before talking about it to me (as Brenil has gave up the AI modding ?)

Rebalanced Melee Combat

Bayonnets :
    Bayonnet units see their unbayonetted offensive stats seriously decrease and are now more vulnerable. Their defense stats decrease too as fighting with a bayonnet was historically something fast, quick and deadly with little room for defense. In exchange, bayonnets give a high offensive bonus and the charge in itself is way more decisive than ever before ! A charge will destroy even the best of the regiments, don't let the AI charge at you when your men stand firm if the ennemy uses bayonnets.

Swords :
    Swords are less offensive : they are indeed now more balanced and give globally higher defense bonuses but lower offensive bonuses than bayonnets. Sword-equiped units are stronger in combat than bayonnet-using units as the bayonneted musket is unbalanced, slow and unnacurate compared to a swift and balanced sword made for melee combat but the bayonneted units will cut down the swordmen in pieces if they charge because of their very high charge value.

Cavalry :
    Cavalry is now more effective in combat against infantry in general and has a higher impact on morale as it historically was, but the square formation is now really deadly against it and cavalrymen should never never ever charge in one !

Ranged Combat Rebalanced :

Muskets :
    All muskets globally fire faster and have higher ranges. Platoon fire is disabled.
    Flintlock musketeers now have limited accuracy but significantly higher reloading speed compared to their matchlock counterparts. The difference between a good flintlock musketeer is not the accuracy but the reloading skill . The reload skill is higher and accuracy lower. Matchlock musketeers can be more accurate than flintlock musketeers (same-level infantry is more accurate) but reloads in a slower way as it was historically. The accuracy skill is higher and reload skill lower. Unlike in Vanilla Empire Total, the gameplay is no more ruled by hidden stats but really by the visible stats.

Just remember the rule : the more range the weapon has the more accurate it is (exept for bows that are vastly a accurate but cause a bit less deadly that muskets)

Bows & throwing weapons :
    Bows have a higher rate of fire and throwing weapons too. Throwing weapons have a low range but are highly letal.

Grenades :
    Grenades are deadlier and more dangerous, a single throw of them may make rout some units. But grenadiers keep small regiments and, for these reasons, are very vulnerable and using grenades is something very very dangerous that may lead your regiment to break pretty fast as most weapon have higher ranges and fire more often.

The amount of ammo for musketmen and bowmen is increased significantly because battles tend to be longer and slower-paced.

Artillery :
    Round shots are globally more deadly and more efficient increasingly with the size of the cannon. Warships have higher rates of fire and therefore your ship's position is really more important. Fire ranges are now more realistic and close. 50 meters for standart muskets (Officers did not shoot as far as the white of the ennemie's eyes was not visible as it would be a waste of bullet) and higher or lower for other weapons.

Cavalry :
    Cavalry is made more realistic by decreasing the hit radius they have. This has no visual effect and is only related to effect. Instead of being 7x larger than an infantryman, now cavalry is only 3x, which makes it clearly less vulnerable to musket fire.

Light Infantry & Skirmishers :
    Light Infantry & Skirmishers are now harder to hit from bullets to represent the fact that they were using the terrain to their advantage and therefore were less vulnerable against musket fire.

Morale and Fatigue rebalanced :

Fatigue is slightly toned down as the AI does not know how to deal with it in order to balance the combat. Heat and Cold effects are significantly raised and local units therefore are more usefull than a simple militia unit as they will be seriouly advantaged in their local climate.

Morale is more dynamic and units tend to rout and rally seriously more. You shoud be more carefull about your men's morale and never putting them in difficult situations, but routing units are more likely to rally now. Morale goes down way faster but goes up faster too ! An unit loosing 20% of it's men, if it has average (5-7 morale) will rout but is likely to rally and have a sufficient morale after a minut.

Units :

I enabled many hidden units, made them possible to recruit and more widely accessible. Every custom battle faction now has a really larger set of units and early units are no-more disabled in late era for both gameplay and realism reasons .

Armies have a higher control zone, meaning that placing your armies and defending your frontiers is now possible, but the positionning is now more decisive. Canceled due to a major issue ; it makes computer think that Generals = Admirals.
    Garrison units completelly changed and the garrison in itself can be considered as a correct defensive army. Playing offensivelly is now more risky and you need to prepare your military campaigns better. Garrison units have slightly lower stats than their counterparts.
    Created some units and enabled some factions in custom battles.

I added some units to the Barbary States, Crimean Khanate, Mamelukes, they had so few units that it was ridiculous. They could only train camel cavalry ! Added a two hidden units to the Ottoman Empire, made this hidden unit a viable melee unit based on vanilla stats.

Edited Technologies

Platoon Fire is replaced by Modern Training Doctrine. It reduces the training costs of all land units. It represents the modernization of the training and the way soldiers fought during the 18th Century, as soldiers were no more expected to be heroes doing great things but instead part of the regiment, acting like robots and fighting in a semi-automated disciplined way.

European Doctrine technology edited for more realism. It now gives strong happiness malus to the upper classes (in the Ottoman Empire most of the upper classes were composed of the Janissaries and the Nizam-I-Cedid were their opponents) but lower happiness bonus to the lower classes due to the end of devshirme (taking the sons of the non-turkish people to make them kapikulu soldiers). It also gives to compensate a slight reduction of the training and upkeep cost.

Fire and Advance Drill likely to be replaced or give other bonuses.

Bayonnet technologies have modified effects. Plug bayonnet gives a 7 melee bonus instead of vanilla 3, and 35 charge bonus. The charge value bonus increases with each technology. Charge bonus looks huge indeed, but it was the only way to make bayonnet charges realistic. Now if you charge at a non-charging ennemy, the non charging ennemy will be destroyed.

Buildings :

Roads are more expensive to build but give clearly more bonuses
    Schools give economic growth bonuses

Submods :

Brightworks 2.0 included ! It is one of the only mod out there that works like a patch and fixes all the graphical issues such as buggy sprites, bugs, not-corresponding textures ! Thanks to Kinjo for his great job !

Known Issues :

Stats are indicated wrong. Bayonnet using units will be shown with an offensive stat of 7 less than they actually have bayonnetted unit's charge skill is shown 55 (depends on the kind of bayonnet, look in technology tables) lower than what it actually is. This is only wrong on custom battle and campaign, on the battlemap the right stats wil lbe shown ! This is an unfixable vanilla issue.

Other :

• Completelly changed the garrisons during siege battles in order to have stronger garrisons. Now the garrisoned units might be lower-ranked line infantry, militia, cavalry, artillery, bowmen, warriors or standart civilians.
    • Easy to combine with most graphic submods out there !

More to come !

How To Install ?
    Don't be afraid by the large number of files, in reality I have split up G-Fixes pack in three to avoid having it be impossible to upload.
    Download attachements and extract them using an extraction program. Put them in
    C:\Program Files\ Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data or

If none of both works, open windows explorer. Go to OS, go to where you have installed steam, open your steam folder, your steam apps folder, common folder, empire total war folder, data folder.

Put G-Overhaul, my_loc and G-Fix there.

Then go to %appdata%, The Creative Assembly, Empire, Scripts
    (C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts)
    and create a text folder. Put the attachement user.script there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Goutlard; July 17, 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added more stuff
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Default Re: G-Gameplay Overhaul

Wow, this looks very interesting. I wish you luck with this project! Can't wait to play it!

Anything new?
    John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalWarAuthority

Update-Uploading some gameplay videos showing some features.
    There are some details to fix

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Oh this sounds good. Veeeery good. Any way to see some normal pathfinding in naval battles?

I have done some minor names tweaking to the Ottomans. This does not in any way affect their unit stats or models but gives unit more historically accurate names.
    If anyone wants to help me do the same for other factions, let him send me names you suggest for the selected faction.

Only one condition : the names should be in Latin Alphabet.

Oh this sounds good. Veeeery good. Any way to see some normal pathfinding in naval battles?
    I did not alter any battle AI (the real battle AI, not the fake battle AI made by some mods editing kv_rules or battlefield entities giving useless hidden bonuses to the BAI) so any mod that edits either group formations or battle AI will be fully compatible with G-Gameplay Overhaul. It is the same for all mods that edit the graphics of the units without editing the stats or edit the sound or edit the campaign graphics.

I use G-Overhaul with 12 graphical, sound and battle AI submods without any issue !

Let me get this straight; I cannot use the Additional Units Mod (AUM) because it changes the unit stats. Is that correct?

Can't download for some reason; shows it as an attachment.php link.

Fat Guy in a Box's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Can't download for some reason; shows it as an attachment.php link.
    Same for me. The links don't work at all.

Please fix the links, I really want to try this mod now.

Fat Guy in a Box's Avatar Libertus

Any updates and new links?

Soon, once I'll have internet for sure coming with a new version with all known bugs fixed and problems solved.

This mod dead? I wanted to try it.