Thread: What to watch after the Daily Show?

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Default What to watch after the Daily Show?

Hey, so I was watching the Colbert Report, and the Daily Show for a few years to get some humour and jokes about everyday american politics.
    Now both shows have ended.

What would you recommend to start watching next? I know the the show "last week tonight" but it is only once a week
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: What to watch after the Daily Show?

South Park!

Hamata's Avatar Civis

as a Canadian id highly recommend the rick mercer report https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frhX6a5OCs

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I watch last week tonight. Its great.

Otherwise I think Colbert is starting up another show.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I watch last week tonight. Its great.

Otherwise I think Colbert is starting up another show.
    Colbert's new show is just the late show on CBS, it's Letterman's old job and I don't expect it to be any more about politics than the other late shows are (1 or 2 jokes a night about politicians at most).
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

3448Colbert
    Colbert is cashing in, since he'd have to tone it down; I suspect that if he gets to guest host, such as the White House Correspondents dinner, he'd be more his old character.

The Daily Show is just getting a new host, and since he's foreign, it would be more outside reflection on what's going on in America. I think it was deliberate to set another pace and tone from Stewart. Oliver did a great job guest hosting the show, which was why he got his own, which as it's weekly, he can focus on issues and reflect on what happened in the past week. I suspect that he might have been the successor if HBO hadn't picked it up.

There's the Nightly Show that took over from Colbert, which I catch on occasion, also more Black issue driven but Black Lives aren't that interesting on a daily basis.

From a British perspective, there's the Friday Night Comedy slot from BBC Radio Four.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

What i like about the Last Week Tonight is that he takes like 20 min on getting in depth on one issue. I feel I'm learning things watching that.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Guess I have to wait for the Daily show to start running again!
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    Hey, so I was watching the Colbert Report, and the Daily Show for a few years to get some humour and jokes about everyday american politics.
    Now both shows have ended.

What would you recommend to start watching next? I know the the show "last week tonight" but it is only once a week
    NPR comes to mind, at least if you want to keep the quality...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

What i like about the Last Week Tonight is that he takes like 20 min on getting in depth on one issue. I feel I'm learning things watching that.
    John Oliver is an amazing talent. His segment on the televangelists and megachurches was awesome, totally on point, and even had a black choir at the end to carry the message home that you should send him money.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Not only that, but he actually seeks to change things. Stewart just makes fun of the news.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

One is comedy. The other we might actually call legitimate comic-journalism. You know....

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.