Thread: Novi Ordinis

Default Novi Ordinis

Tales of the Novum Monasterium in Dijon had reached the ears of Cadog last year. One, Robert of Molesme had built a monastery with the aid of twelve or so of his brothers. He'd left Molesme because they would not follow the Rules of St Benedict as he saw fit. Cadog would've found this attitude contemptible if he didn't consider it so very valid. Although the churches in England were far from the influence of Cluny, the lack of true dedication could be easily seen. In hos own church, Cadog could tell that his brothers were spending more time doing opus dei (the work of god) than they were reading, and working.

Something needed to be changed. Cadog was a bishop, though. He could not simply leave the life of the cenobite here and wander out into the desert to become a hermit. No. He would require to gain followers; like minded people who would support and follow him out into the desert to live the life of a true monk, one who understood and restricted themselves to the life of the Rule totally.

He rose from his desk, putting away his Vita Athanasius, and walked out into the Nave where his brothers chanted their glorious prayers. As usual, it was a memorium for the dead. A old wife's bairn had died last night, three days after having been baptised. The monks were praying to the Lord for an angel to carry him through the gates of Paradise. It was truly a wonderful, heart felt prayer for this child. But it was almost time for Nones. And the brothers had been their routine of opus dei since Prime. No work had been done, and as far as Cadog could see, no reading had been done either. A quiet sigh escaped his lips.

Cadog would call a few brothers to his office after Nocturns, and discuss with them the potential of walking out into the desert...

Default Re: Novi Ordinis

The hour of Nocturns was upon the church, and the monks filed out from their beds, encouraging each other not to be late, in order to pray to the Lord for a bountiful new day. They took their positions in the Nave, pulling their robes up slightly to cushion their knees if they so desired, and began the ritual chant. Cadog was at the head of the congregation, and under his direction he intended to ensure that nothing but the necessary chants and prayers were said before they all retired. Well, Cadog would not retire - he had chosen a few brothers to join him in his office after the hour of prayer was complete.

He prayed to God for forgiveness for the anger in his heart, and the acts he was about to commit. He did not personally know if what he was to do would be considered contemptible, or if they were admirable. He prayed to God for guidance. He prayed for he salvation of his soul, and all souls in this world. He prayed that the Devil and his minions be subdued and removed from the world. He prayed for humility among men, and for the righteousness of the Holy Spirit to guide all as he himself asked for guidance. Before he knew it, the hour of prayer had finished, and so he rose steadily, ignoring the ache in his knees. He looked knowingly to the brothers he had asked to join him, and retired to his office.

He took a copy of the Rule and laid it out on his desk, and awaited his brothers...

Cadfwn, Robert, Michael, Geoffrey and Benezio were the brothers that arrived at his office. The door was closed, so they began to speculate about what they had been called for.

It's probably to do with the old woman who came here last week. I think she may have died last night.

No, no, I take care of her. She's the picture of health. She'd been attacked by Saxon brigands on the west road. No, I believe we're here to answer for our absence from the Sext opus dei. We left after an hour didn't we? The others stayed for another two hours. Perhaps he feels we have insulted him.

Abbot Cadog was not there either, brother. Have faith in our abbot that he does not hold that wrath within him.

You saw how he scolded that noviciate two months ago though. Of course, he was within his rights, but we can't rule out the chance that he is angry with us for something.

He is our abbot. He upholds the Rule of the most holy Saint Benedict. He was not present for the three hour Sext opus dei, and I do not believe he would punish us for that.

A faint "Enter" was heard by the silent monk, who signaled silently to his brothers that they could enter now. They each nodded to him courteously. The poor soul had had his tongue removed by travelling malevolents back in Italy when he was ten. Each of them, when they entered, took note of the Rule that sat on the desk, open as if on display. They also took note of the lack of splendour in the office. The abbot, clearly, preferred to work in Spartan conditions.

Kneel, brothers, Cadog said, rising from his seat and kneeling as well. Benezio silently closed the door behind him and took a knee with the others. Together, they recited a quick prayer before beginning the purpose of the meeting.

Brothers. I heard you outside my office just a little while ago. Cadfwn and Geoffrey are correct. I have called you hear due in part to the Sext opus dei, and indeed, I am not angry with you. I feel disappointed in fact,. He rose from his knees, signalling the others to do so, and continued to speak on his feet. The Novum Monasterium. I assume you've each at least heard of the place? The brothers nodded. Good. And Vallambrosa? Savigny? They each nodded again. Benezio had been to Vallambrosa when he was just eight. He'd been a child oblate also, and took to the life of the hermit when he was only eight. These places are to be venerated, brothers. They seek reform, and a return to the Rule, where monasteries such as Cluny perform prayers that are... irrelevant. Perhaps irrelevant is the wrong word, but they are prayers we perform far too often. The future of the monks way of life, I believe, lies in the return to the Rule.

He sat silently for a moment, allowing for the words he spoke to sink in. Perhaps one of them would realise what his intentions were.

I wish to create a schism, and leave this monastery with a handful of faithful followers, and strike out for the desert to found a new monastery. A monastery where only the Rule is followed. Where our cause for God is truly tested, and where the mettle of the hermit is truly proven...

This is what I ask of you brothers - bring people into our cause. Not every brother must be so like-minded as those who pray in the Cluny fashion. By the grace of God, there must be others in our convent that wish to return to a purer life.

He looked to his brothers for words, for advice - for any kind of response!

A Monk who was silent for some time now had the urge to speak. The man was not old but not young either has he listened to the words of the man. But he was still confused what was the man talking about the Rule. What rule did he mean and why was it so important.
    " Brother is the life we live now not pure ?. I believe that we already living a pure life by the fact that we live far away from society were people sin and do not repent. Our lives as of now are pure and you wish to make it even more pure. How is that possible ?. What rule are you talking about is my other question. God has choosen this life for us and you wish to change it by going back to some Rule ?. What rule is out their that would make us more pure than we already are ?. And no prayer is irrelevant. as every prayer is for our lord and we can pray as much as we need too because we all know he is listening to each of our prayers. So how can you say that places pray too much, As that is not the case one could aruge that people do not pray enough to our lord. " He said in a calm voice as he waited for the other monk to respond to him.
    Manius Domitius Labeo- Tribune of the Plebs
    Marcelo Ferrington -Archbishop of England (( GSTK
    House Reyne - Lords of Catamere (( GOT ))

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Brother Gerald finally spoke up,
    I have not been here long, but I have found myself thinking something similar the past few months. I think it is because I had imagined this life differently, a purer life, as you say.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damien View Post
    A Monk who was silent for some time now had the urge to speak. The man was not old but not young either has he listened to the words of the man. But he was still confused what was the man talking about the Rule. What rule did he mean and why was it so important.
    " Brother is the life we live now not pure ?. I believe that we already living a pure life by the fact that we live far away from society were people sin and do not repent. Our lives as of now are pure and you wish to make it even more pure. How is that possible ?. What rule are you talking about is my other question. God has choosen this life for us and you wish to change it by going back to some Rule ?. What rule is out their that would make us more pure than we already are ?. And no prayer is irrelevant. as every prayer is for our lord and we can pray as much as we need too because we all know he is listening to each of our prayers. So how can you say that places pray too much, As that is not the case one could aruge that people do not pray enough to our lord. " He said in a calm voice as he waited for the other monk to respond to him.
    Cadog pushed his copy of The Rule of St Benedict for the monk to read.

It is this book I speak of, brother. This was not the first, or only, book of it's kind. It was not the book that brought the monks way of life into existence, nor was it a book that popularised it. This is the book, brother. The book we should live by. The great King Charles, and his Son Louis the Pious, supported this style of life, and we should return to it.

Purity... the purity of life is arguable. Indeed, most of us do not indulge our bodily sins. We do not eat too much, nor sleep, nor drink too much. But when was the last time you brought the harvest in? When was the last time you walked into the forest and brought back the kindling for the fire? When was the last time you saw someone fixing the altar? When was the last time you saw all of your brothers reading the Bible, and actually engaging with it? No-one talks about this glorious book anymore. Yes... praying is important, and it is relevant to our style of life. But we do not test ourselves. We do not strain ourselves anymore. I life is supposed to be hard, and I believe it to be too comfortable.

He paused for a moment, studying the monks face. He smiled gently, with his calm caring eyes and said,

Do not fear, brother, I am not wroth. I am just hoping to show you how our way of life has changed so significantly. I am just hoping... to show you the way.

Brother Gerald finally spoke up,
    I have not been here long, but I have found myself thinking something similar the past few months. I think it is because I had imagined this life differently, a purer life, as you say.
    Cadog nodded,

This life you desire... how would you have it?

The Monk nodded his head and wondered something about the bible and what his brother said. were they suppose to question the bible and ask oneself what it suppose to mean. For years he was taught never to question the Holy bible and just accept what it was. He never thought that he should be talking about it with brothers, or with anybody really because he feared what the church would do. As he took the book and placed a hand over it. He wondered maybe his brother had a good point.

" Yes brother but I was taught never to question the holy bible. Never question what we are suppose to learn from it but only accept what the chruch deems we should have learned from it. Many times I wish to engage my brothers in thoughts about the book and what it means to me. But I stopped myself in fear of what would happen if I question something I read in it or wondered what the real meaning was. As for the crops and gathering fire wood. I was never taught to do such things although i am tempted once in a while to go to the woods and clear my mind, But I always thought i was never allowed to do such things." He looked at his brother and had only one question on his mind.

" Brother what would the chruch think and would they approve of what we are trying to do ? " He asked in a calm voice as he waited for his brother to respond

The Monk nodded his head and wondered something about the bible and what his brother said. were they suppose to question the bible and ask oneself what it suppose to mean. For years he was taught never to question the Holy bible and just accept what it was. He never thought that he should be talking about it with brothers, or with anybody really because he feared what the church would do. As he took the book and placed a hand over it. He wondered maybe his brother had a good point.

" Yes brother but I was taught never to question the holy bible. Never question what we are suppose to learn from it but only accept what the chruch deems we should have learned from it. Many times I wish to engage my brothers in thoughts about the book and what it means to me. But I stopped myself in fear of what would happen if I question something I read in it or wondered what the real meaning was. As for the crops and gathering fire wood. I was never taught to do such things although i am tempted once in a while to go to the woods and clear my mind, But I always thought i was never allowed to do such things." He looked at his brother and had only one question on his mind.

" Brother what would the chruch think and would they approve of what we are trying to do ? " He asked in a calm voice as he waited for his brother to respond
    We are to learn this most glorious of books. We do not question it's story, but we question the lessons we may learn from it. On the surface, the story of the Samaritan is to help those who most require it, to humble oneself to help even the detestable. But does it not also teach us that those considered detestable can one day be the very centre of equity? It teaches us the justice of our day, and teaches us not blinker our beliefs. We must believe that all good, and bad, men must be brought to the light of God through the love of Christ. Brother... speak to me of what you once thought was not allowed. I would adore to engage in this discussion.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Sun View Post
    Cadog nodded,

This life you desire... how would you have it?
    Humble, solitary, and thoughtful, pure like the Irish monks of old, who journeyed to lonely and windswept islands, so that their will might be challenged and their resolve to live a pure life thoroughly tested.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Quote Originally Posted by René Artois View Post
    Humble, solitary, and thoughtful, pure like the Irish monks of old, who journeyed to lonely and windswept islands, so that their will might be challenged and their resolve to live a pure life thoroughly tested.
    Cadog nodded, a tiny smile creeping into his features.

Excellent brothers. If we are to make our move to the desert, then we must obtain apostolic authority. I shall write to our most holy Archbishop.

Archbishop Marcelo Ferrington makes a special visit to see Bishop Cadog. He brings with him the letter the bishop had sent to him. He is indeed troubled by the letter and wishs to know the full story before going out and visiting the other Monstaries in the realm.

Cadog personally saw to welcoming the Archbishop, announcing the holy shepherd to the brothers in attendance. They all began a prayer for the Archbishop. Unofrtunately, of the fifty in the conclave, about thirty continued to perform prayers for the Archbishop for another three hours. Cadog had the Archbishop moved to the abbot's office after the first hour. Typically, Cadog offered him his own seat at the desk.

Your Eminence, I did not expect you to come ad investigate the matters yourself. Had I known, I would have prepared a meal of the berries and animals from the nearby forest.

Archbishop Marcelo Ferrington listens to the Bishop and nods his head in understanding. He was not concerned with the meal not being prepared for him as this was a spur of the moment visit anyhow. He had to know what was going on and then he could conduct his investigation.

" I was in the Neighborhood for another matter and decided to come and talk to you myself. It is better this way as lately letters have gotten to people late and I could not let that happen with this important matter. So according to your letter, You are saying that the Monstries are not following the rule of Holy Father Benedict . Can you explain to me what you mean by that ?. I am troubled by this news but I need to know more before I go and investigate this matter." He said in a calm voice as he looked at the Bishop and then remember the second part of the letter and placed his hands together and move them close to his lip.

" If I were to allow you to leave for the forest of dean. Who then would take your place here at Holy Coppice ?. And why do you want to leave Holy Coppice when you yourself have asked for reforms in the Monstaries. Do you not want to be here for the reforms if they happen ? " He asked the bishop in a calm voice as he waited for the man to respond.

Archbishop Marcelo Ferrington listens to the Bishop and nods his head in understanding. He was not concerned with the meal not being prepared for him as this was a spur of the moment visit anyhow. He had to know what was going on and then he could conduct his investigation.

" I was in the Neighborhood for another matter and decided to come and talk to you myself. It is better this way as lately letters have gotten to people late and I could not let that happen with this important matter. So according to your letter, You are saying that the Monstries are not following the rule of Holy Father Benedict . Can you explain to me what you mean by that ?. I am troubled by this news but I need to know more before I go and investigate this matter." He said in a calm voice as he looked at the Bishop and then remember the second part of the letter and placed his hands together and move them close to his lip.

" If I were to allow you to leave for the forest of dean. Who then would take your place here at Holy Coppice ?. And why do you want to leave Holy Coppice when you yourself have asked for reforms in the Monstaries. Do you not want to be here for the reforms if they happen ? " He asked the bishop in a calm voice as he waited for the man to respond.
    Cadog spoke quietly and solemnly,

The Rule of St Benedict outline three basic rules: poverty, celibacy and obedience. He also outlines three parts of our everyday life: opus dei, divino lectio, and labores. I believe that almost every single one of these rules is being either overlooked or simply ignored in the majority of monasteries in England. Last week, I chastised a brother for wearing a plain golden band on his finger. I have seen three brothers, at least, handling money. The majority of this specific monastery will not adhere to my call to work or reading. The monasteries across the Kingdom must be investigated. The negligence of the Rule is abominable.

I do not know who will replace me, your Eminence, for that will be down to the remaining brother's decisions. But I hope to be allowed to venture out into the desert with a few close brothers to find the beauty of holiness in another part of this Kingdom, and to bring back the understanding and adherence to the Rule. in fact, I aim to make this place such a strict following of the Rule, that you would be able to investigate the new monastery first to attain an idea of how other monasteries should be reformed.

Archbishop Marcelo Ferrington listened to the bishop and more than once had to control his anger. How could men of the cloth do such things when they know the rules. How dare they disrepect the rules of the church and what it stands for. How dare they. He would have to do somehthing to correct those mistakes and if he had to create a rule for the clergy in England he will do just that. He nodded his head in understanding.

" That infomation alone is enough for me to go investigate the monasteries and correct those that have fallen off the path and expel those that do not listen to the rules. Thank you for this infomation Bishop. I will send word to the holy father of this also and ask that I be allowed to create a rule that will hopefully prevent clergy members for doing these things in the future. This must end and If I have to expel all the leaders of the Monasteries than I will because this is indeed Abominable and needs to be corrected. " He said in a soft voice as he was holding back his anger at the news and he knew he would have to pray later on to tell god he was sorry for his anger and to ask for forgiveness.

" As for you wanting to create a new Monstaery. I will grant you the premison to do so and that I expect a report each year on the progress and what can be done in other Monasteries that will follow your path. Is their anything else you need to tell me before I make my way to the next Monstaery ? " He asked in a calm voice as he looked around and wondered how the Monstaeries could fall so far from the rule and what had happened over the years to make this happen in the first place.

Do not take the decline of the austerity of the monasteries to heart, your Eminence. It has happened all across Christendom. It is with reform that we can hope for a purer prospect. The monks of the Novum Monasterium, or Vallambrosa and Savigny; these men are to be venerated, in my opinion.

If I can ever be of any service to your holiness, then simply call upon me and I shall be at your aid post haste.