Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the moving of the forums from TWC to MCC.

Diglytron's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    The distend ruins of the once glorious Dutch Republic.

Default Regarding the moving of the forums from TWC to MCC.

Hey guys,

Its almost three years since I've joined this forum and since then I visit it almost every day. Its the only forum which tempted me for longer then two weeks, and its still encountering me to visit it it every day because for example the Minecraft PVP forums.

Now what I've feared, since GED announced the new website almost two weeks ago, has become reality. Lets quote myself from January 14.

Quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    Hey GED, the new website looks really good. This together with the great buildings in the screenshots should definitely be enough to attract new players.

Only thing what frightens me a bit (can be completely wrong, but I would like to hear that), is that it should not become a different forum just for the Minecraft part. That would for me just not work. I don't want to register, and keep in touch with again another forum, and I am sure a lot of users who post often in the MC forums of TWC agree in this. Also for new players it would make more sense to register on TWC since one of the reasons you told us to make the server was to attract people to post on different parts on TWC.

All by all I like the new website, but I think it should be kept small. Just information and a lot of hotlinks to TWC. the goal should stay, after all, to attract more people to TWC and to generate pageviews/clicks

If you need writers to help you filling up the empty parts of the site, and you think I am decent for this, just ask me. I'm willing to do something back after all (free) fun I've had on the TWC-pvp servers !

Now, I know that all my efforts to put a stop on this are useless but since I care much about TWC and because I honestly think GED is making a big mistake in this, I post this here. You can laugh at me, say I don't understand it but at least try to understand me and what I feared.

To get back on what I started with, TWC is a place which encounters me to visit it daily. The PVP forums and especially the discussion thread are top in my subscription list and I sometimes check them multiple times a day. Its easy to say that because of the Minecraft server my visits on TWC increased with almost 70%.

Lets see the statistics.
    Statistics.
    View Poll Results: How did you come by the Servers? Migration from the old TWC community servers. 24 36.92% Through TWC- front page announcements, or simply browsing the site. 31 47.69% By word of mouth (ie from friends). 8 12.31% Through other websites with Minecraft server listings. 0 0% Other... 2 3.08%

Good, after we've watched the statistics we can clearly see that all the users of the server, with that the discussion forums came by the forums. This will drop drastically after the forums have been placed on a new site. What clearly comes out of several resources is that people focus on mainly two or three networks. I think this is the same for most of us. For me its Facebook, TWC and Linkedin. I'm not going to check another forum or website on daily base, I often tried it with other forums but this is just not going to work. If I have to, I will make a choice between TWC and the new MCC forums, and in the end TWC will win cause that's where I made friends.

Besides, like visible from the poll, people joined because they were active on TWC or visited TWC on regularly base. This idea is confirmed by several members including my friend Niels.

Niels1313 told me, he and TheRokusho had a small privet server and were concidering joining a faction server. Because TheRokusho knew TWC and was also active on it, he and niels1313 joined the TWC-MC Server.
    Niels is a example of a member who joined for the server reregistration thread and later started to post in topics about the European Union or exploration on Mars. I thought this, and only this, was what GED tried to achieve with the server.

What did GED want to achieve with the forums, and why did he bought the servers?
    Good, now too the point which is also important in this matter I think. GED stated multiple times that he started the servers to encounter people to let people make posts, first in the Minecraft forums, but later on different parts of TWC. He made the impression that he wanted the Minecraft forums to become a stepping stone for new members. A place to start their journey on TWC. And I think we have enough examples of people who started here, but ended in the political parts of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post

This is what I really like to see, new TWC members posting and posting that they enjoy it. Welcome to TWC.

Look around, there a LOT more to this site than the MC stuff.
    Another important aspect in my opinion is that you can't simply, like Niels stated it, rip the hearth of the community out of it and move it to another location.
    niels1313: You just cannot rip the heart of the community out of it's core. The forum is the place where is community is. If the community has to chose, they will chose TWC. Resulting in low activity on the MCC forum.
    Personally I actually see this as the downfall for the server, again for me personal. This forum, TWC made the server special for me. In the future this will change and it will just form into a server with just another boring forum where people only talk about Minecraft.

To make a long story short here my thoughts again but simple. for the people who don't like reading. Here the reasons why I think the move is bad.

1. Like we have seen with a separate forum for the Battlefield 3 clan, the activity will likely drop in the second month. People are going to make choices between TWC and the MCC, and thats wrong in my opinion.
    2. The MCC forums have NO possibility to encounter new members to post in other parts of the forums, and to generate more clicks/more value users. Simply because there is NO other part except from minecraft.
    3. With this you rip the community spirit out from TWC and place a small part over to a new forum. A big part however will make the choice, willingly or not, to just not post and stick it with just playing. This, of course is not bad, but then we all failed the point to gather more members of TWC. And to generate more clicks and page views.

I fear nobody will actually care about this. And that they just say I should not over react, or stop being stupid, but please and I say this out of my hearth, read this and overthink it. Its not to late to just stick with TWC subforums...

And GED, if you read this which I hope you do, just leave a simple comment you've seen it. A simple ''k'' is enough for me.

Thanks for all the great memories and funny posts on this forums. I laughed a lot guys.

- digly
    أنا مدينة العلم وعلی بابها
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Student history with focus on the Ottman Empire, Safavid Persia and the war in Bilad Al-Sham
    Follow me on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/djehoety

Default Re: Regarding the moving of the forums from TWC to MCC.

lmfao.. Just noticed all threads are getting closed. Well, that makes it quite . Just spend almost a hour in creating this, sharing my feelings and then that. Well hope you laughed..
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Student history with focus on the Ottman Empire, Safavid Persia and the war in Bilad Al-Sham
    Follow me on Twitter:

Poach's Avatar Civitate

GED has his reasons for this move, which I explained in the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    GED has his reasons for this move, which I explained in the announcement.
    Damn. In all hurry to post I forgot reaction on that. Give me a few minutes before closing please....

The Server Forums are moving to a new website. Everyone register HERE and move discussion there. Over the coming days this section will be steadily closed down.

Everything except the PvP General Discussion is being locked, and that thread itself will go after a week or so, allowing everyone time to move across.

I'll see you all in our new home!

Edit: For those asking, GED is making the TWC of Minecraft: a major modding hub. Moving the servers to it will generate better traffic as a result.

Edit 2: Also I know why the forums aren't working for posts, give me a moment.
    GED is making the TWC of Minecraft: a major modding hub. Moving the servers to it will generate better traffic as a result.
    Still, why move the community with it? Why there can't be both a modding hub and a place for people from TWC to talk about the server? Does it cost more bandwitch or what? I really, really see not any reason why to move it. Unless you're scared from the people who play in the server and you want them to stay away from other parts of TWC cause they might post in strange ways?

Edit; now It seems moderators are going to kick me from the server too. Don't like a reply which is not 100% positive.
    Last edited by Diglytron; February 02, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Follow me on Twitter:

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I never kicked you from anything.

What's the point of having a Minecraft Center without Minecraft servers and a Total War Center with Minecraft servers?

If you took a minute to explore the new site before writing a knee-jerk complaint thread you'd see the site has tons of stuff (like built in, automated tournament ranking systems) that will work much better for the server than this subforum. I doubt you've bothered with that before deciding to complain, though.

If you took a minute to explore the new site before writing a knee-jerk complaint thread you'd see the site has tons of stuff (like built in, automated tournament ranking systems) that will work much better for the server than this subforum. I doubt you've bothered with that before deciding to complain, though.
    I'm not going to react on this anymore, its a poor show anyways. I hoped, and expected better from you and the others of the staff. In suggestion threads the staff totally burns the proposer to the ground and you guys suggest him to leave for ''another forum'', if I make a thread where I write up my serious concerns and then you call it a '''knee-jerk complaint thread''.

Oh, and actually, there is no need for a new discussion forum for the PVP server, cause you know, there is nothing to discuss in it anyway. Everything introduced by us, the community, will be shot down harsh by the staff anyway.

Oh, and for the record. I've seen the website. Its good, and If you've read my post you would have seen there comes no critics against the website. Just try to understand feelings or thoughts of other people Poach, it should not be that hard.
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Follow me on Twitter:

I never kicked you from anything.

What's the point of having a Minecraft Center without Minecraft servers and a Total War Center with Minecraft servers?

For what I understand of diglytron's post is that he does not complane about the actual website, but about the fact that it is going to be "independant" from TWC.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by niels1313 View Post
    For what I understand of diglytron's post is that he does not complane about the actual website, but about the fact that it is going to be "independant" from TWC.
    ... Yes. And for myself, its not that bad. It only means I'm not going to post in the forums anymore but just stick with playing, like so many others. I just made this thread cause I think and feel its bad for TWC. And thats something I care about.
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Follow me on Twitter:

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar Aetī Avēas!
    Civitate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I actually agree with Digly. I only visit TWC and RomanArmyTalk. I'll almost never visit the new forum most likely, because every other forum I've signed up for besides here and RAT I stopped visiting after maybe 5 visits because there was no diversity to the discussion of things, it was all one topic.

Keeping the Server Forums on TWC would be a better decision, moving them to a new Forum would alienate the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix
    Well then Attila just got delicious.
    Under the Patronage of Pikestance

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I complained at first but there's this really easy fix for having a different forum.

-Go to MCC
    -Favourite it
    -????
    -profit

The only downside is that it takes 3 seconds to navigate to a different page, or if you're very proud of your internet persona, you'll lose your postcount and rep too. Oh the horror.

Hawk_345's Avatar Civis

I know I am not a long time contributor to this forums in MC. But I do think that a new forum dedicated to mc might bring more players on to the server and in the end make the server itself fun as well as the new forums lively. It makes it much easier to point people toward a dedicated forum for a group. TWC is so large that Minecraft gets buried under the shear weight of the place. Which in itself is something to be proud of, and still stay active in. But another MC forum just allows a bit more publicity and independence for a growing community such as the Pvp server.

Now this was only my opinion as a new guy around here. So I hope no offense is taken by any of you.
    An Empire Under the Sun - A HOI3 AAR
    Follow the fight of 3 generals to become a world power

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_345 View Post
    I know I am not a long time contributor to this forums in MC. But I do think that a new forum dedicated to mc might bring more players on to the server and in the end make the server itself fun as well as the new forums lively. It makes it much easier to point people toward a dedicated forum for a group. TWC is so large that Minecraft gets buried under the shear weight of the place. Which in itself is something to be proud of, and still stay active in. But another MC forum just allows a bit more publicity and independence for a growing community such as the Pvp server.

Now this was only my opinion as a new guy around here. So I hope no offense is taken by any of you.
    This makes far too much sense and doesn't involve enough 'feelings' (whatever those may be, I don't know).

In my opinion, Digly's post sounds more like... "I'm used to this place and I want to stay here" not so much, "This place has more benefits which is why we should stay".

I only visit this site for the minecraft and if the admins who run it feel it will be more beneficial to move to a dedicated MC PvP site, I'll agree with them. The new site is dedicated to MC PvP and I think it'll be good for the server as new members will know exactly what they will be signing up for, whereas on this site, I can understand it would be very easy for people to get confused and leave with the plethora of other threads.

If you think simply moving to another website will cause you to leave the server digly, so be it.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_345 View Post
    I know I am not a long time contributor to this forums in MC. But I do think that a new forum dedicated to mc might bring more players on to the server and in the end make the server itself fun as well as the new forums lively.
    That requires statistics, which unfortunately currently support Digly's sentiment (however, I do not know the source of them and therefore they could be biased or entirely false - in which case it's a guessing game anyway)*.

It makes it much easier to point people toward a dedicated forum for a group. TWC is so large that Minecraft gets buried under the shear weight of the place.
    It's hard to bury it given that its presence is permanent in the greater forums directory - and it can be navigated to directly from there - but even if the first-time registering is more cumbersome because of it, you still have the advantage of stray TWC members wandering into this subforum. It also (as has been pointed out) led to members discovering the greater TWC.

Which in itself is something to be proud of, and still stay active in. But another MC forum just allows a bit more publicity and independence for a growing community such as the Pvp server.
    Why would you want independence if it's a TWC server?

I do not know, gentlemen, if this forum move was such a good idea. I fear the loss of stray TWC member traffic into the Minecraft subforum may be disadvantageous. One could put links up to the new forum - that much is true - but if we are talking about members just casually browsing through the forums, how many will really be bothered to not only follow the link but also register at an entirely new site?

Admittedly, this forum will make registration easier for non-TWC members. But I believe they will neither have the incentive nor the interest to continue into the greater TWC forums - and was not that the purpose of the launch of the official server?

We can at the moment only guess, and I firmly believe that decision-making should be based on as much empirical evidence as possible. I do not know if GED has looked at our memberbase origins, the speed of registering etc. and used that data for the purpose of determining the right course of action, and I would like to pinpoint exactly that lack of reason as the problem. Right now, the shift to the new forums appears to be shrouded in a mist of relatively "soft" statements. These need substantial backing.

*I found the source, and the survey is indeed skewed since the questionnaire is found on TWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Pat89's Avatar Northman™

Yeah it will take some getting used to, but the new forum has a lot of benefits. And of course when there's some good themes up there it will feel more homely.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

As far as aesthetics go my only gripe beyond the themes is the lack of signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Connor93 View Post
    The new site is dedicated to MC PvP
    Na-ah

This new site is dedicated to minecraft modding, which is why you'll find the modding sections above the server sections. The aim is to make MCC to Minecraft modding what TWC is to Total War modding (the best), and we've moved the servers there too. If it were just for the servers, a move would not have happened.

Goes without saying the modding bits need more work, both in terms of organisation and in terms of actually having some mods/plugins
    Last edited by Magefsx; February 03, 2013 at 06:18 AM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

I would be more comfortable if it were more clearly tied into twc.

-A similar default skin perhaps
    -A link in the forum menu to the main site
    -Turn the official twc server forums to a link to mc center
    -Something like 'Part of the total war center network' written at the top of the page

After reading all comments in this thread, I see that those that complane do not want to see the MC forum being ripped of the TWC forum. And that the MCC is a new forum, with a new account.

I have an idea, but I do not know if it is possible:
    For all that know nexus, a modding community website, it has multiple websites in "one website".

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You only need to log in on one website and when you switch with a simple click to another website part, you are still online with the same account.

Ofc I know this is not a simple alteration, but if it is possible to implent on the TWC forums you can get great results. Having one "Center" with an easy switch to other Centers, where you keep your account, friends, rep ect.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    That requires statistics, which unfortunately currently support Digly's sentiment (however, I do not know the source of them and therefore they could be biased or entirely false - in which case it's a guessing game anyway)*.

It's hard to bury it given that its presence is permanent in the greater forums directory - and it can be navigated to directly from there - but even if the first-time registering is more cumbersome because of it, you still have the advantage of stray TWC members wandering into this subforum. It also (as has been pointed out) led to members discovering the greater TWC.

Why would you want independence if it's a TWC server?

I do not know, gentlemen, if this forum move was such a good idea. I fear the loss of stray TWC member traffic into the Minecraft subforum may be disadvantageous. One could put links up to the new forum - that much is true - but if we are talking about members just casually browsing through the forums, how many will really be bothered to not only follow the link but also register at an entirely new site?

Admittedly, this forum will make registration easier for non-TWC members. But I believe they will neither have the incentive nor the interest to continue into the greater TWC forums - and was not that the purpose of the launch of the official server?

We can at the moment only guess, and I firmly believe that decision-making should be based on as much empirical evidence as possible. I do not know if GED has looked at our memberbase origins, the speed of registering etc. and used that data for the purpose of determining the right course of action, and I would like to pinpoint exactly that lack of reason as the problem. Right now, the shift to the new forums appears to be shrouded in a mist of relatively "soft" statements. These need substantial backing.
    Thanks. This is what I tried to say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    I would be more comfortable if it were more clearly tied into twc.

-A similar default skin perhaps
    -A link in the forum menu to the main site
    -Turn the official twc server forums to a link to mc center
    -Something like 'Part of the total war center network' written at the top of the page
    Yes. This too.

edit;

Quote Originally Posted by Connor93 View Post
    If you think simply moving to another website will cause you to leave the server digly, so be it.
    Never said I was going to leave the server. I leave when my friends, Syp_ol, Wytze, Niels and Rokusho would leave. For now that is unsure and has nothing to do with this and the other changes being made to the place where we discuss MC.
    Last edited by Diglytron; February 03, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Follow me on Twitter:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast