Thread: Barbarians and siege warfare

Default Barbarians and siege warfare

Barbarian armies never had the capability of assaulting walled cities. In my latest campaign. I am playing the West Romans and was besieged by the vandals. I was not worried as I could hold out for 8 turns....I had a large reserve army in Rome and was on the move to relieve the city.

two turns later, the barbarians are assaulting the city.......

even into the 6th century AD, the Barbarians never had this capabilty. Is there a way to edit a file and remove this capabilty.....very ahistorical!

I tried to change this by going to the descr_engine file and allowing siege towers to only romans and eastern cultures. Now, during campaign, when barbarians attempt to assault a city, and I don't allow computer to resolve battle, I get a CDT......

I need to edit another file....maybe descr_walls or something....

thanks.
    Last edited by mike_espo; August 22, 2006 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: Barbarians and siege warfare

Im not sure how ahistorical it is in truth, but I think if you look into the sm_factions.txt file you can take away seige towers from factions. They will always have the seige ram and ladders though. Other things like onagers you simply take away from them in the edu (delete them from ownership line). Not sure but you may also have to take them out of the export_descr_buildings as well

Thanks! Siege towers are not listed in this file...even under east and west romans. just sapping, which barbarians definately did not have the skills to do. and yes, the Barbarians never had any siege engines.....that is why after Adraianople, they could not take that city, or Constantinople for lack of siege equipment. They had to content themselves with devestation of the countryside.

Ravenna in 410 was another example. Honorius knew Alaric could not assault the city, he just waited behind the walls.

This is one of the chief advantages Rome had over the barbarians, to give barbarians siege assault capability seriously degrades the historical advantage the Romans had and makes barbarian armies way too powerful.
    Last edited by mike_espo; August 14, 2006 at 10:30 AM.

ah yes, sapping was what i meant to say. sorry about that

Yes. I was able to find it in engines text file. I gave all barbarian races just open siege ram and short ladders. No sapping abilities and no siege towers. They still assault my cities, but now, I can at least have a fighting chance against hordes.

I lost one city due to only having a 50 man garrison.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to the Mod Workshop.

Default denying siege towers to barbarians

I have edited the bi/data/descr_engines file to limit availability of siege towers to only roman and eastern cultures. When a settlement is under siege by barbarians, I still see they can construct siege towers.

Is there another file I need to edit to deny their use to barbarian factions?

thanks

Default Re: denying siege towers to barbarians

I want to do the same thing.

Could someone give us a help please?

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Default Re: denying siege towers to barbarians

Im by now means an expert in this area but i dont think its possible, i know at one point Troy Total War members asked this i dunno if they ever solved it though as i havent played that mod.

Anyhow if you remove their siege towers all a "civilised" nation need do is build large walls or bigger and they are safe from siege....
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Thread merged with 'denying siege towers to barbarians'.

I've looked at this somewhat and the only way I can see removing siege towers to ALL factions, is by changing the model for towers. Ie instead of having a tower mesh, you have a model for a .. say a wooden screen (to protect archers). You then set the docking distance to something large, say 30+. Luckily the AI is smart enough to realise that if the tower doesn't get to the wall, the soldiers won't try to start climbing.

I haven't tested this but it should work with a few adjustments.

Getting rid of sap points might be more difficult.

Additional : after more review I've noticed there's a DISABLE_UI <button> script command ... But i couldn't find out what the actual name is for the Tower and Sap buttons. Once known, it's just a matter of running the script file at start up.

What we really need is a knowledge event where before the event, a faction doesn't know how to build equipement and once learned, they can ... of course this means fixing the hardcoding.

R
    Last edited by Rorarii; August 28, 2006 at 09:49 PM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo