View Poll Results: How Long Shall We Wait Until R2 be as Moddable as S2TW, set to be The Lowest Benchmark

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-3 Months

19 16.24%
  • 4-6 Months

14 11.97%
  • Half to a Year

15 12.82%
  • More than a Year

30 25.64%
  • Rome 2 Won't be even as Moddable as its Predecessors before It.

39 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Time Will Pass Until Rome 2 Will Be Relatively Moddable?

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default How Much Time Will Pass Until Rome 2 Will Be Relatively Moddable?

How Long Shall we Wait until Rome 2 Moddable, to the extent of Shogun 2 Total War, as the Lowest Benchmark?
    I Must ask some other Questions to Accompany This Poll:

[1> How Long Until CA Release TEd for Rome 2?

[2> How Long Until CA Release Official Modding Tools for Rome 2?

[3> How Long Until Independent Toolmakers from TWC and Beyond make Tools that enable Modding, at least to the current extent of S2TW?

[4> Will Rome 2 be more Moddable Than Shogun 2? If Yes, To What Extent, and How Long will The Community Reach That Level?

Now, As Shogun 2 has SteamWorkshop and Official Support, Surely Rome 2 will...But how long CA or SEGA will withold them? I'm Pretty Sure TE'd can be Available at Release...But Official Modding Tools Will not, for a considerable Time. Why?

Because That will Deny Them from a Potentially Lucrative Faction-Unlocking and Unit DLC. They are something Relatively Simple for Modders...The Only Way Faction and Unit DLC can be still Acceptable is that they must be Supported by Game-Changing Patches: The Factions must be Unique by Itself, not some Generic "Minor Faction"; The Unit Packs for Competitive Multiplayer Players who seeks Edge over their opponents.

As For Community Modding Tools, I believe that Outstanding Toolmakers from This Forums can make Tool for it in under 3 Months, based on the knowledge about Warscape modding, gathered from their long experience in ETW, NTW, and S2TW. Those tools made under 3 Months shall not be instantly perfect: It'll contain lots of unknowns...but even that will enable simple mods...
    I remembered when I was still a lurker, before I Joined...A Modder already modded before the Game was even Released...Worked on it only based on data from The Demo...
    The Tools shall be updated to do much better over time...Possibly as good as S2TW tools in a Year...

Will Rome 2 be more moddable Than S2TW? I must be honest, that I'm not very optimistic about this...

EDIT: "...as Moddable as..." Sorry. Moderators, Please Fix The Poll. [Fixed.]
    Last edited by Radzeer; February 07, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: How Much Time Will Pass Until Rome 2 Will Be Relatively Moddable?

Well Rome 2 should have a nice amount of modder join up. Unlike S2, there is more appeal and better ideas to modding. I'm guessing since it has become so hard to mod thought, we wont see any good or decent mods until after a year of the game's life

I recall there being an All Factions Playable mod for the DEMO, and a blood mod released 3 hours after Shogun 2 was released on Steam. After the years I've spent on the forums, I'm convinced our modders can do just about anything. While TEd may not show up for a while afterwards (I'm thinking 6-8 months until a unit DLC, then another 6 months for TEd), we will probably see some simple mods almost immediately, with some big overhauls within a year despite the lack of editor.
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Oh yeah, like we REALLY want Rome 2 to be as modable as Shogun 2. Because Shogun 2 was SOOOOOOO modable. No hopes for Med 2 levels of Modnessability?
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

I wish Rome 2 can be modded as easy as Rome 1
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    Oh yeah, like we REALLY want Rome 2 to be as modable as Shogun 2. Because Shogun 2 was SOOOOOOO modable. No hopes for Med 2 levels of Modnessability?
    I really wish people would be informed before complaining about the modability of Shogun 2, the assembly kit really changed everything, but people continue to spread misinformation.

Pretty much anything one could do in M2TW can now be done in Shogun 2.
    Entirely new unit models... Yes
    Entirely new building models (both for the campaign map and battle map)... Yes
    Entirely new campaign map and regions... Yes
    New campaigns... Yes

The only thing that is not really possible I believe is new animations.

If CA ever releases another Assembly Kit for Rome 2 I will entirely content as it will offer everything I would want to mod. However, I am not sure this will happen as CA has said that they will only consider releasing another set of tools if the community makes good use of them. And seeing how most people still whine and spread misinformation about the modding capabilities in Shogun 2, I doubt CA will bother to make such an effort again.

EDIT: In response to the poll, if CA does release another Assembly Kit for Rome 2 I expect it will be about a year or year and a half after initial release, after the major expansion has come out.
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; February 01, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    I really wish people would be informed before complaining about the modability of Shogun 2, the assembly kit really changed everything, but people continue to spread misinformation.

Entirely new building models (both for the campaign mapand battle map)... Yes
    New campaigns... Yes

If CA ever releases another Assembly Kit for Rome 2 I will entirely content as it will offer everything I would want to mod. However, I am not sure this will happen as CA has said that they will only consider releasing another set of tools if the community makes good use of them. And seeing how most people still whine and spread misinformation about the modding capabilities in Shogun 2, I doubt CA will bother to make such an effort again.
    I really wish we have a game use an upgrade engine from M2TW. I honestly think the graphic in M2TW isn't bad even now
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Primicerius

Entirely new building models (both for the campaign mapand battle map)... Yes
    New campaigns... Yes

This for the most part.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by vietanh797 View Post
    I really wish we have a game use an upgrade engine from M2TW. I honestly think the graphic in M2TW isn't bad even now
    In part I kind of agree, I don't find the graphics of M2TW's battle to be that bad. However, I can't go back to the campaign map (which is the part I value the most). The campaign map graphics and gameplay of the warscape games are just so vastly superior to the previous games that I can't bring myself to play them anymore.

How much time? Well, when they've sold all the DLCs, Addons and Expansion Packs and already announced the next Total War, then we MAY have modtools.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xjlxking View Post
    Well Rome 2 should have a nice amount of modder join up. Unlike S2, there is more appeal and better ideas to modding. I'm guessing since it has become so hard to mod thought, we wont see any good or decent mods until after a year of the game's life
    Well Said, but S2TW also have a Good Amount of Enthusiastic Modders...until it died out...
    Quote Originally Posted by vietanh797 View Post
    I wish Rome 2 can be modded as easy as Rome 1
    We all hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    As You Can Clearly See on The Poll's Title, We Really Do Want R2TW to be At Least As Moddable as S2TW, Even Beyond...
    Its About The Accessibility of The Modding Method...You see, The One-Way 3DS Max Plugin, Only for 3DS Max 2010, Which CA Gave to us...is not very practical...
    Well, CA wants to Protect Their Assets...and their Source of Income...
    But in another Side, Its about Modders sheer willpower and Skill...can Them Entice a new generation of Modders? can They Keep The Modding Spirit High?
    spartan_warrior, You are one, who still Trying to Expand out Modding Frontiers...He Made British Isles on Shogun 2 Map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And of course the other function of the supertexture, which is the parchment map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[/spoiler]
    I hope you'll still contribute...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    How much time? Well, when they've sold all the DLCs, Addons and Expansion Packs and already announced the next Total War, then we MAY have modtools.
    Not If The Community can make Modtools by Itself...

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

^Nice maps

Indefinitely Banned

I say one other factor about modding: If Mod Tools available closer to Release, then Veteran and Ambitious Modders have time to Develop Massive Overhauls before the Hype dissipates overtime.

The only mod I want is an all factions unlock, hopefully some one can figure that out quick

Nilash's Avatar Libertus

Why is this a poll? Is it our decision to make?

Marcvs Antonivs's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by portugal11 View Post
    The only mod I want is an all factions unlock, hopefully some one can figure that out quick
    That can be viewed as piracy, if CA pretends to release said factions later as a paid DLC like they did on Shogun 2
    Cassius: "Our men at arms have secured the city. We've received representatives from all the best elements. The senate is with us, the knights are with us."
    Brutus:"The pontifs, the urban cohorts, the lictors guild..."
    Antony: "Oh, the lictors guild, very good. Only rally the bakers and the flute players and you can put on a festival."

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I have no faith whatsoever. So I might be generally surprised if modders figure out how to change region borders. However, so far I have my doubts we will be able to do much more than change unit and faction names. We might even be banned from unlocking factions for copyright reasons.

Given the rather lukewarm reception to the Shogun 2 tools, I can't imagine CA will prioritize the development of a similar kit for Rome 2 - and I honestly can't say I blame them. The Steam Workshop support has proved fairly successful, however, and the Battle Map / Historical Battle editor seems to have attracted new people to the TW modding scene. I'd imagine Rome 2 will feature at least something like that, otherwise it would just be a step backwards.

But what about more comprehensive tools? Capable of complete conversions? I guess the question is: is there really a need or desire for them anymore? I can't even begin to imagine how much work it took creating full conversion mods for the Rome engine, and I have the utmost respect for the time, passion and dedication the people who created those mods put into them. But given how much more complex the new engines are (and the upgraded engine in Rome 2 may yet prove even more so), how many existing modders, realistically, are going to switch to the new tools? And how many new modders, willing to spend potentially hundreds of hours working on full conversion projects, will the tools attract? If the reaction to the Shogun 2 toolkit is anything to go by, the answer is - not very many.

So why bother? Why bother spending time and resources creating in-depth tools that hardly anyone will use? I guess it might be seen as good PR, but given how I still see people talking about Shogun 2 as being 'un-moddable' and bashing CA for 'not supporting modding', I guess that sort of backfired, huh?

The thing that nags me the most is when people seem to to forget how many great mods came out for Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2. Hell, Shogun 2 alone has over 350 files up on the Steam Workshop right now and it's growing every week. Sure, it's mostly tweak mods, new units and battle maps - but they're still mods, but a lot of people don't seem to think these 'count' for some bizarre reason and still accuse CA of 'blocking modding' in order to sell DLC.

I also often wonder how many people crying out for the in-depth tools would actually then sit down and try to learn how to use them. I suspect the number would be rather small.

Now, don't get me wrong, I totally love to see a comprehensive, fairly user-friendly mod kit for Rome 2 for those people who want to get stuck into one, but I can't say I'm too fussed about it personally because I know I'd never use it, I'd only want it so I could selfishly benefit off of the work of others. I think people who demand better mod support should seriously ask themselves the same question.

Am I demanding it because I'm going to contribute to the community? Or am I just going to sit back and let others do the work for me? I'd bet in the vast majority of cases it's the latter. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for better mod support, but we should keep in mind that without people willing to learn the new tools and adapt to the new engine, that toolkit is effectively worthless.

Entirely new building models (both for the campaign map and battle map)... Yes
    New campaigns... Yes
    That sounds promising. Maybe there might be 2 reasons, why we saw not so many extensive mods about S2?

1. it is more complex to mod these days, than it was in these older days with Rome 1
    2. Shogun is not Ancient Europe! Not so many people are interested to mod the S2 setting. I expect the opposite, if it comes to mod Rome!

So if your information and my speculation is correct, we will see a lot of minor mods immediately and complete overhauls, months/years after the modtools are released.

I agree that we should expect the modtools not too early. CA will first make money with DLCs. I even exepect a major Barbarian Invasion expansion. Because it makes sense and breaks the mold of a DLC. So minor mods will show up shortly after launch, but the total overhauls based on the modtools will most propably release later than 2014/15.

So no! CA would be well advised, if they launch great modtools for Rome. The "luckywarm reception" of modtools for Shogun 2 is no benchmark at all. This is not Shogun, THIS IS ROME!

PS: I myself, I am an IT guy and I am retired now. And I love roman history. So YES, I will at least have a look at these damn tools.
    Last edited by UsulDaNeriak; February 07, 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Double post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast