Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best use of 2-Handers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best use of 2-Handers?

Almost all human factions have 2 hand swordmen: battle ready dunedain, dale swordsmen, dismounted arnor knights etc, but whats the best use for them on the battlefield? whenever I have them I always hesitate and keep them out of battle especially since are usually expensive.

I think they are also more vulnerable to archers than same class troops with shields and generally die faster, are they any good?

Default Re: Best use of 2-Handers?

I use them against the cheapest troops my opponents field. They usually rip right through them while simultaneously preserving their numbers. Only in the bleakest situation will I send them against the enemy's best units as the AI will usually out produce me, and there tends to be better ways to deal with them than sacrificing the aces in the deck.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

I do not see what is the special effect of 2-handed weapons: their attack animation time is slow, and they can't defend themselves well. Of course, if we'd be talking about axemen, then I'd say that it's good to send them against trolls.

Btw, Dismounted Dúnedain Knights, as you probably meant, does not use two-handed weapon. Also when you say Dale Swordsmen, do you mean Dale Swordmasters?
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    I do not see what is the special effect of 2-handed weapons: their attack animation time is slow, and they can't defend themselves well. Of course, if we'd be talking about axemen, then I'd say that it's good to send them against trolls.

Btw, Dismounted Dúnedain Knights, as you probably meant, does not use two-handed weapon. Also when you say Dale Swordsmen, do you mean Dale Swordmasters?
    I dont know if its different in MOS but theres also dismounted Arnor knights with great swords, and yes swordmasters. theres also Winged swordsmen of Gondor.

Senator

They work quite well as a "cavalry style" unit.

If you send them around the enemy army when you're engaged and charge the enemy rear - particularly if you're fighting orcs, or any unit without much defence - you'll decimate their numbers and reduce their morale.

In a historical context, those swords where often used against pike-formations (spear, halberd), sometimes against cavalry.
    In germany they are often refered to as "Gassenhauer" in english (literally) "alleyway-beater".
    So you can run in, crack up the pike-formation and form an alley/gap for your followers to jump in.
    It combines the advantage of (rather) long range - against long pikes - with the advantage of shorter range - for close-combat.

BUT:
    I'm not sure if this is depictet in the game-mechanics!
    I never read sth like "good against pikes" or can't remember it at the moment.
    Maybe try out in a custom fight, how they perform against different pike-units ingame...

nonetheless they are fierce fighters and do much damage against all infantry.
    except - you're right - archers.

EDIT:
    and they are heavy weapons, so, also a reaction to the developement of plate-armour...
    (I don't know if they have "armour-piercing"effect ingame)
    Last edited by mondpeiler; January 31, 2013 at 05:51 AM.

I was bored so I tested:

2 handers have advantage against cavalry but average on everything else including pikemen.

heavy 2 hander against light, medium pike = 2 hander wins
    light 2 hander against heavy pike = pike wins

Against horses they are great as long as the cavalry didnt charge them, so another unit must take the charge and these guys flank.

But spears and pikes can take a head on charge and arent as vulnerable to archers due to shields and large numbers, so 2 handers are too much trouble for that role, plus cavalry wont wait around to be flanked and killed, they will move back and charge again and long swordsmen will be the ones flanked.

That leaves them to flanking weaker units who cant fight back or chasing away archers, both of which can be done by any other unit, or sacrifice them in an emergency as a heavy unit but then you will lose them.

That is my verdict.
    Last edited by Coldfire88; January 31, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

I find that the Dismounted Knights of Annúminas in MOS' version of Arnor (if indeed I remember the Arnorian 2-handers' name correctly), are very effective as a flanking and shock unit. Including for killing Trolls.

I put them on the sides of my infantry formation, then after the lines clash I run the 2-handers around the flank. They must kill fast because they gain veteran marks very quickly despite their slow swing speed. I think there is some hidden lethality stat outside of attack/defense which determines kill chance. But the problem is that they also die fast, so don't use them in the main contact line if you can avoid it.
    Last edited by DrDragun; January 31, 2013 at 07:57 AM.

They usually rip right through them while simultaneously preserving their numbers.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Yeps, reserve shock troops. BAM!

I think in general you could say, that tactically all units, that have no shield to protect them from projectiles, belong to the second row (if possible).
    only exception: skirmish-troops.

Teutonic Warlord's Avatar Semisalis

As has already been said by others, 2-handers are good for attacking the flanks. You need to have them avoid archer fire and cavalry charges because they will be decimated.

To properly use 2-handers, they (usually) need to be used in reserve and not in the front line. You can use them to flank after the lines make contact, but cavalry can fill this role just as well and usually better. If you are playing the dwarves, though, you will just have to make do with 2-handers. Another important role is to use 2-handers as elites killers. If you can have a shield unit make contact with an elite enemy unit (trolls, mumakil, nazgul, etc), you can send in the 2hers to perform heavy damage to that unit while minimizing casualties.

However, the best use of 2hers I have found is to use them to defend chokepoints, like settlement gates and bridges. Enemy archer fire will be ineffective, and the enemy can't use charges with cavalry or infantry. And, as has been said by someone else, 2hers will destroy cavalry in melee. In vanillla M2TW, I used 20 units of Zweihander to defend Antioch against 8 full Mongol armies. I ended up with only one full unit at the end, but all the Mongols were defeated.
    Insert something witty or possibly out of context here.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Warlord View Post
    In vanillla M2TW, I used 20 units of Zweihander to defend Antioch against 8 full Mongol armies. I ended up with only one full unit at the end, but all the Mongols were defeated.
    Epic tale

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Teutonic Warlord's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Epic tale
    Thanks! I shouldn't have won, though. The stupid AI sent all their armies through the first opened gate, where all 20 of my units were waiting. The zweihanders also succeeded in decimating the Mongol cavalry and killed the generals, so the enemy routed before they could have won. My utmost respect for zweihanders, and 2-handers in general, is due to that battle.
    Insert something witty or possibly out of context here.

I usually use my Isengard Berserkers as a line breaker in sieges at the main gate followed by some Uruk Reavers.

Great way to clear out a held gate, especially when you tire the defenders out with lower quality orcs...
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Sheep View Post
    I usually use my Isengard Berserkers as a line breaker in sieges at the main gate followed by some Uruk Reavers.

Great way to clear out a held gate, especially when you tire the defenders out with lower quality orcs...
    Yeah but Isengard Beserkers if I remember right they have 2 Hit points compare to the normal 1 hit points of other units. I find that unit just epic at breaking lines in sieges basically if you saw Two Towers where they are the first one and open a gap for the Uruk-Hai well that's exactly what they do in the game. But yeah 2H Are best use against Cavalry or as Schock Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    As has been said already, they make excellent flankers and shock troops. They're also useful for looking scary. If you're like every other modder out there, you like to, well, mod things. Add the trait to your two-handed units which makes them scary to units around them and you've turned them into effective terror weapons whos charge can break lines. Voila, you've given them more depth on the battle field while not straying so far out of the realm of plausibility,
    Interesting but you can debate whether they would be scary against elves and orcs not just humans.

However, the best use of 2hers I have found is to use them to defend chokepoints, like settlement gates and bridges. Enemy archer fire will be ineffective, and the enemy can't use charges with cavalry or infantry. And, as has been said by someone else, 2hers will destroy cavalry in melee. In vanillla M2TW, I used 20 units of Zweihander to defend Antioch against 8 full Mongol armies. I ended up with only one full unit at the end, but all the Mongols were defeated.
    Also interesting, I will have to try that out.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

As has already been said by others, 2-handers are good for attacking the flanks. You need to have them avoid archer fire and cavalry charges because they will be decimated.

To properly use 2-handers, they (usually) need to be used in reserve and not in the front line. You can use them to flank after the lines make contact, but cavalry can fill this role just as well and usually better. If you are playing the dwarves, though, you will just have to make do with 2-handers. Another important role is to use 2-handers as elites killers. If you can have a shield unit make contact with an elite enemy unit (trolls, mumakil, nazgul, etc), you can send in the 2hers to perform heavy damage to that unit while minimizing casualties.

I don't know if they are good gap-blockers. In those situations the AI usually forms a blob of units, and the slow attack animation of 2handers will lead to them being spam-attacked and never be able to attack because of "being hit" animation.

2handers usually have very good attack value, so they are good for inflicting a lot of casualities, and quickly. Put them in reserve and use them like cavalry. Of course cavalry is better for that, but 2handers can mow down spear-armed units, a task that your cavalry can't carry on. So, a well balanced army would have cavalry AND 2handers to outflank the enemy with.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Master Shu Win's Avatar Foederatus

Battle ready dunedain do a great job of supporting and protecting Arnor pike formations. This combo works very well against harad. Tried this same tactic as Dale with Barding Hird and Dale Swordmasters trolls, orcs, and uruks all fell with disgusting losses and this tactic is easier when playing against mordor because they rarely produce archer units.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast