Thread: Age of the Cataclysm: Rebirth

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Age of the Cataclysm: Rebirth

Age of the Cataclysm:
    Rebirth

Creators' Forewords Age of the Cataclysm: Rebirth is a new attempt at giving life to a high-fantasy, adventure scenario.
    Although it really bears no resemblance to the previous "Age of the Cataclysm", we decided to use the 'franchise' name in order to give it yet another chance at glory, adding on the subtitle "Rebirth".
    Structure that hopefully combats Age of the Cataclysm's faults has been in Rebirth since it's inception.
    I don't think Knight will mind us trying to breath new life into his vision.

Yes, this is a sudden, possibly impulsive 'idea'. But maybe it's genuine nonetheless.
    That's our hope anyways.
    - Bastard Feudalism & Lucius Malfoy

The Simple Synopsis
    Many kingly estates and dukedoms lay sprawled across the peninsula of Thyprius, laid under the canopy of stars as if to mimic them.
    Grand feudalism has ruled in Thyprius, with heraldic wars between kingdoms, custom wars between city states, and rivalries between Grand Companies of mercenaries and adventurers.

But now, a great evil has spawned upon the once powerful Kingdom of Gram, the grandest of all Thyprius; a dark, all encompassing cloud has swallowed the kingdom capital.
    A land of the dead they call it now, a land between ours and the next, as if the very fabric of reality was ripped apart, mixing two worlds beyond comprehension.
    Others say strange and mystical things come out of the cloud, magical beings and terrifying horrors spreading from its mind-breaking axis.

Adventurers, mercenaries, and wanderers alike travel to Gram in search of fortunes and answers.

Major Theoretical Concepts
    The map will be the area that once was the Kingdom of Gram.

- The lore is centralized and consistent, yet with room for addition/elaboration, and vague/generic enough to interest most.
    - There is one great "action hub" (the dark cloud) where the plot and action takes place, while around the cloud are 'towns' and other 'rest' points to buy items, reside, form Grand Companies (see below), and do anything really. Each one of the towns will be unique.
    - Grand Companies (name pending) are essentially guild organizations. This idea takes a lot from MMOs, so we're toying with the functionality of player mercenary/adventurer bands. This means rivalries, guild pvp, guild bases, economic stuffs, strength in numbers, etc.
    - A lot of stuff players do, especially outside 'the action hub', will not require moderation, with the exception of any fighting.
    There will be mechanics for players to use and follow, as well as simply interacting with other players.
    - Inside the action hub will however require atent moderation attention.
    It will be typical dungeon crawling, but on varying levels. We will never map it out in its entirety however, so that it keeps it stays mysterious and versatile. The main goal of the action hub would essentially be to just keep going at it, learn new things, and eventually come to some conclusion.

Please, join us.
    Even if you don't want to be part of the 'team', give us suggestions if you got 'em. If you give good suggestions and are not part of the team, we will give you the deserved credit.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: Age of the Cataclysm: Rebirth

Age of the Cataclysm: Rebirth
    Developer Journal 1, Part 1: Classes

With the rise of heroes and the gathering of these ascending legends at the border towns of Windgrove, Peregrin's Pass and Eorland, the clash of cultures and backgrounds have given rise to a unique set of various professions. These professions, ranging from supportive members to great brutes, have ensured that many adventurers have lived long and died as heroes in the mysterious land of Gram. With dangers unknown to new heroes, these classes all aid each in other, not only to survive but to come out as the champions above all others.
    Heavy Class
    Heavy Classes: These juggernauts of the battlefields are well known for their heavy armor, brute strength and powerful weapons. These individuals drive the charge forward, striking down the greatest of foes with ease while making a path forward for their comrades
    1. Cavalier - These individuals are highly disciplined through strict training and heritage. They carry the coat-of-arms of their ancestors and fight, not only in their name, but in name of themselves. They fight in the name of honor and their homeland, hoping to gain fame and fortune through battle. (This class uses all types of shields with single handed longswords and boardswords as well as one handed axes).
    2. Raider - Those of this class come from a rather undisciplined background, but unlike the Cavalier, Raiders are known to be uncontrollable. Though they do not carry the coat-of-arms of their families, they scream the names of their ancestors and charge headlong into battle. This berserk class is one to be very weary of. (This class loves two-handed weapons like warhammers and bastard swords. Rarely seen with shields, but can be very deadly when used upon foes).

Medium Class
    Medium Classes: While not as strong as the juggernauts of the heavy orientation, but not as agile as those of the light class, professions of the Medium level are still resourceful. They are a mix of the punch of the heavy classes and the speed of the light classes.
    This class is up for discussion! If you have any ideas on what can be a Medium class (2 - 3 max), please give us your ideas! Otherwise, the Medium class will be removed and not used.

Light Class
    Light Classes: The light class is known for agility, mobility and tough to catch. Though they cannot endure long engagements, their ranged attacks and quick strikes allow them to be mobile and avoid being enclosed.
    1. Wanderer: Shadows and Agility aid this class. The Wanderer are individuals of the cloak and dagger. Though not particularly Assassins, they are quick in striking and dodging. This class is very mobile in close range and enjoys a wide variety of weapons. (This supportive class enjoys single to dual-handed weapons such as daggers, dual axes and shortswords.)
    2. Yeoman: The rangers of the forest and woodsman of the Great Trees. This class enjoys long ranged attacks with some close attacks. Skilled Yeomen can fire two to three arrows and utilized a variety of arrowheads, such as flaming and poisoned (This class utilizes bow and arrow with daggers and even a shortsword if a Yeoman needs a close ranged weapon for particular situations).

There is also the discussion of Advanced Classes, but this is up for debate and may be added in at a later time. If you have ideas for other classes, please suggest! However, we will not be using classes of the magical sort as those will be too difficult to create their own set of rules and would require a lot of work. If anything, mage/magical classes will have an NPC role in this roleplay. In terms of magic, players can learn minor sorts of magic for specific and limited uses (daily limits).

Developer Journal 1, Part 2: Cultures

To be updated!
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; May 20, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Emmm. I had just finished reading some Chinese History books all so I didn't look like the class dunce for the Kingdoms one. Now I'm not very up to date with past RPG's, so is this based on some series/film/book or is there some sort of big lore/background to this?

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Is there going to be magic?

I believe a cleric-like class is missing

EDIT: It's looking beautiful, btw

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Is there going to be magic?

I believe a cleric-like class is missing

EDIT: It's looking beautiful, btw
    Quoted from the final part in red at the end of Part 1. I put it in bold now.
    There is also the discussion of Advanced Classes, but this is up for debate and may be added in at a later time. If you have ideas for other classes, please suggest! However, we will not be using classes of the magical sort as those will be too difficult to create their own set of rules and would require a lot of work. If anything, mage/magical classes will have an NPC role in this roleplay. In terms of magic, players can learn minor sorts of magic for specific and limited uses (daily limits).
    We just feel like magic will require a lot more work and moderation than what we are aiming to do. Beyond Potter proved that magic can be very complicated

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Roxas View Post
    Emmm. I had just finished reading some Chinese History books all so I didn't look like the class dunce for the Kingdoms one. Now I'm not very up to date with past RPG's, so is this based on some series/film/book or is there some sort of big lore/background to this?
    Well the name itself is a chance at giving Knight's Age of the Cataclysm another go, but in a new setting and with new mechanics. BF is basing some of the features off of Dark Souls while the background, setting and cultures are completely made up, but based off of historical stuff. Such as there will be a ethnicity that is like the Greeks, a culture that is very similar to the Germans, etc etc.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; May 20, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

My two medium class suggestions:
    A healing class (non-magical) and a class that carries a giant shield to absorb damage (good for groups).
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; May 20, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I want this

II: Description of Gram

The Kingdom of Gram lies in a fertile basin on the southern end of the Thyprian Peninsula.
    It is bordered by a tall cluster of snowpeaks to the north, where the rural Thunite clans roam in mountain passes, and met to the south by the Aevolan Sea, creating a rich coastline.
    Northern Gram, under the shadow of the peaks of Thune, is canopied by the Great Forest, largest and oldest forest in Thyprius, while the midlands and southlands are flat and sleek all the way to the ocean.
    Three rivers run through the kingdom, and all converge at the center, where the capital lies, before heading out to sea.

The capital at the center of Gram, Auldwall, home of the Gramian Royalty and the beating heart of Gramian chivalry, has been covered by the Dark Cloud, which continues to spread slowly from heartlands.

Now that the kingdom has fallen to this sudden darkness, its remaining settlements have formed city states.

The Monastery of Windgrove resides in the northern midlands of Gram, at the southern edges of the Great Forest; it is a haven of the wise and the quiet, and remains protected by the forest. It is just north of the Dark Cloud.

The Burgh of Eorland lays the most vulnerable to the Dark Cloud, laying along the lower reaches of the Gram River, where it meets the coast of the Aevolan Sea.
    However, it's inhabitants have a strong will, and its merchantry are cooperative paying for the town's defense. It is somewhat south of the Dark Cloud.

The Fortress of Peregin's Pass is the remaining enclave of power for the Royal Knights of Gram, high up in a border fortress among the passes to Thune.
    It is cold here, and although the Thunite clans are peaceful of late, the once powerful warriors of Gram are confused about their future and their goals.
    It is to the northeast of the Dark Cloud.

The peninsula of Thyprius is quite large, and Gram is just one small part of it.
    Nearby in Thyprius are the lands of Thune to the north, Pallant to the west, and Balder to east. The isles of Vritannis lie to the south, in the Aevolan Sea.

Before the appearance of the Dark Cloud, Gram had reached a powerful status as Hegemon of southern Thyprius, dominating Balder and Pallant through recent war treaties.
    The King, Allant IV, and his family brought some prosperity to Gram through this power.
    Allant is known to have invited many mystics to his court, and had a major interest in the arcane.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; May 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This seems like a really bad time to lauch an medieval/fantasy RPG. Still, the proposal looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Citizen

Updates to come soon! Life has been busy.

Nesimî's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Will play this.
    shum

I'm thinking of doing some 'test drives' in the near future to see how my dungeon crawling ideas work
    Who wants to fight Ornstein and Smaug?

III: Path of Descent

Along with Auldwall, many locations around it have been swallowed by the Dark Cloud, and have become distorted by its otherworldly mist.
    The secrets and keys to Auldwall lie within these different areas, hidden deep within, behind enemy and challenge.

Each area is a sprawling set of levels.

Mount Hindar - The foothills and caverns of Mount Hindar are of a fiery nature, and populated by what once was ancient mines.
    Northeast of Auldwall.

Erlenwald - An ancient, thick forest once protected by the foresters and rangers of Gram. Word tells that it is now sprinkled by fogs and strange spores.
    West of Auldwall.

Siegfried's Holdfast - Built by great prince Siegfried in ancient times to protect from the Kingdom of Balder and its marauding armies, the Holdfast is a sprawling complex of several fortresses merged together, considered impenetrable by contemporaries.
    East of Auldwall.

Holy Valley - A sacred alcove south of the capital where the Saint Gunther is said to have been born. It was once the heavily protected sight of temples and pilgrims, but tales of defilement and sacrilege spread across the faithful now.
    South of Auldwall.

The Necropolis - Southeast of Auldwall lies the sacred burial grounds of the ancients, and the tombs of kings and heroes. Built onto a plateau, sprawling catacombs and tombs lie beneath the black city of the dead.
    Southeast of Auldwall.

My interest is peaked, map? I know naught of this kingdom of Gram

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

I applaud this effort, and I wish you lot had been with me from the beginning; it would never have died, I think.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Is there the Imperium in this, because I want to get some grimdark holy righteous fury mutant multilating, hertic burning, chaos smashing action for the Glory of the Emperor and Imperium of Man
    Low speed, High Drag

No, no, no. Not everything is based off warhammer.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    Is there the Imperium in this, because I want to get some grimdark holy righteous fury mutant multilating, hertic burning, chaos smashing action for the Glory of the Emperor and Imperium of Man
    You are aware that this is gonna be individual characters, not faction based. And no, this will not happen. Most of our references come from other fantasy fandoms such as Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    No, no, no. Not everything is based off warhammer.
    I swear you tried to censure me for doing something similar?
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

You guys need to just leave each other alone. And no, don't respond to this post saying the other is responsible. Just stop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    This game is an adventurer style thing, without nations behind each player (at least to start I guess).
    You can say you're from some nation somewhere, but we'd prefer if you didn't use something already used and as common (and maybe even tedious) as the Warhammer universe.