Thread: Vampire sea spiders

Default Vampire sea spiders

An unusual Antarctic sea spider with five pairs of legs. Its large proboscis is protruding towards the bottom of the picture
    Weird spider-like creatures that live at the bottom of the ocean and use a 'straw' to suck on their prey are baffling scientists.

These sea spiders, some of which are blind, are defying scientific classification.

Marine zoologist Dr Claudia Arango of the Australian Museum in Sydney agrees they are arthropods, but which type?

She presented her research on these unusual and poorly understood animals recently at the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research meeting in Hobart.

"They are very weird looking animals," says Arango.

For over 100 years, scientists have been puzzling over how exactly to classify sea spiders or pycnogonids.

They crawl along the bottom of the sea floor, sometimes more than 6000 to 7000 metres down, where they live in the dark, feeding on slow-moving soft-bodied sponges and sea slugs.

The creatures are segmented and have an exoskeleton, which makes them an arthropod, the same grouping as crustaceans, insects, centipedes and spiders.

But they also have a very strange collection of features, including a unique feeding structure.

"They have a proboscis that's like a straw that they insert into the animals and suck out the juices," says Arango.

Such features make it difficult to fit them into any of the known groups of arthropods.

"They look like spiders, but they are not real spiders," says Arango. "It's been very hard to place them in a position within the tree of life."

Arango has been studying the diversity and evolution of sea spiders.

She has been using DNA and morphology to construct a family tree, using 60 species of sea spiders from all over the world.

Some scientists believe that sea spiders make up a new very primitive group, at the base of the arthropod family tree.

But Arango's findings so far support another theory: that they are more closely related to the arthropod group that includes spiders and scorpions.

She stresses these are only preliminary conclusions though, and the jury remains out.

Arango says the most interesting sea spiders live in Antarctica. They are more diverse, more abundant, bigger and weirder than other sea spiders, she says.

"That makes them a very sexy and attractive fauna."

One type of Antarctic sea spider has an extra body segment giving them five pairs of legs instead of the usual four pairs.

Another type has extremely long legs spanning 70 centimetres.

Arnago says the diversity and abundance of sea spiders in Antarctica means they probably play a very important role in its ecology, although this is yet to be elucidated.

Her research has been accepted for publication in the journal Cladistics.

This Antarctic sea spider has a 70-centimetre leg span
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/a...sh_1675573.htm
    Tuba mirum spargens sonum
    per sepulcra regionum,
    coget omnes ante thronum

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Default Re: Vampire sea spiders

guh, just when I thought spiders (of any kind) couldn't get any nastier
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Dear God, what are they going to think of next? Sea snakes with arms?

I hate hate hate hate hate spiders.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "A man has no principles, or morals, if he does not act with great conviction upon those which he claims to have."
    "For some reason beyond all rational and logical thought, an arcane belief continues to exist. That the actions of one somehow warrants the limitation, or even the revocation, of the unalienable liberties of another. While the intentions behind this rationale could be considered noble, it is unexcusably naive, and must be resisted at all costs."

Spadicus's Avatar Libertus

"That makes them a very sexy and attractive fauna."

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Oh damn I was eating too

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

ewwwww that thing looks worse then micheal jackson
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

ewwwww that thing looks worse then micheal jackson
    Yeah, and thats hard to beat.

Looks like it's made of plastic or something. That thing is awesome!
    I sin for the good of humankind
    "I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength."
    -Nietzsche
    Truth is not a law, a democracy, a book or a norm not even a constitution. Nor can it be read in the stars.

Ghoulem's Avatar Biarchus

I'm pretty sure we'll soon see this spiders as toys in happy meals.
    Muhaha

ohh that will really bring in kids 5yr olds will love haveing spiders in there happy meals
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Whoa. That's ****in' cool looking. Almost as cool as the giant isopod.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

What an ugly bastard...

wheres its head anyway?

These abominations must be wiped out quickly before they suck ALL our juices.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

i dont like that thing, it reaally creeps me out. i think its the picture but something makes me feeel like ripping it's legs off.

Now I know where I've seen that before - it's a facehugger, from the Aliens movies.

i dont like that thing, it reaally creeps me out. i think its the picture but something makes me feeel like ripping it's legs off.
    That's a healthy attitude to have towards ALL your enemies - I do.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

more like that thing in half-life which devours your brain and turns you into a man-eating zombie!

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

this one is slightly more disgusting looking i think. Although i don't know whether or not it's a vampire spider.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

that looks like a demented turtle