Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of issues/Possible bugs

Default Couple of issues/Possible bugs

First bug you probably will not be able to do anything about. I remember it from vanilla, but I have not seen it since. It has to do with phantom units on the battle-map; a unit will think is in engaged with an enemy unit that is not there.

In player controlled units this usually means a couple of solders in that unit will be stuck in that spot and the rest of the unit will function, but sub-par as it will continue to think it is engaged and so will not do things like charge.

In computer controlled units the unit will simply run back and forth over the same spot, unable to get over the idea that something is there to fight.

This bug will affect a random spot on the map, and any unit passing over that spot will be affected.

The second bug involves upgrading non-upgradable units.

I have been playing Adunabar and have a great deal more income than I know what to do with, so I have started upgrading my garrison units which consist of Orc-bands and Snagas. Expecting to see only a silver shield, as orc weapons "can not be upgraded", I have found that every so often, maybe one in five or more, will get not only a silver shield, but a gold sword as well. Yowza!

Far be it from me to complain about my gold sworded Snagas, but it did cross my mind that this might not be intended.

I will add more non-CTD bugs to this thread if I come across them.

Default Re: Couple of issues/Possible bugs

The weapon upgrade of otherwise non-upgradeable units is a fluke really, the game gets confused due to the system we use to differentiate between orkish/cultic and mannish troops. This system has been changed in DoM and we haven't yet encountered that bug.

The first bug has happened to me a couple of times in this mod but I don't remember experiencing it in vanilla. I think it's got something to do with an enemy unit being destroyed in the spot but not completely disappearing, sometimes if you mouse over the area an enemy unit with 0 men remaining and a status of "Dead" will be there. You can usually free trapped units by running them back and forth over the spot a couple of times.

The ghost unit thingy is a vanilla issue. If we could fix it, we would; alas...

CURSE YOU VANILLA BUGS!

I just redownloaded the mod, forgot how good it was ;-)

I do recall the phantom unit bug being associated with destroyed units in vanilla. This time, however; the only time I have seen it in WoM; no units had been destroyed, either in that spot, or elsewhere on the map. I do not expect this fact to make the bug any more fixable.

Concerning the upgrade bug, I have now experienced it with a Swords of the Shadow unit, the first one I upgraded, and I haven't upgraded any others yet; not one of my troll units have received the gold sword, and I have upgraded more of these than any other "evil" unit.

While on the topic, why was it decided that the Swords of the Shadow should not be upgradable. I can understand it not being worth while to invest good equipment in Orcs, but these elite human units should be getting nothing but the best, no?

In order to make units recruitable/unrecruitable (mannish/cultic) we had to use a sort of trick, which involves using a specific weapon tech for all cultic units (since they should allow 'obey' the available/not-available rule. So, all units with that weapon tech would either be upgradable or all of them would not be; and we went with the "not" option.

I just noticed that Ornindil Telcontar does not have as much management as he should. As Lord of Emyn Arnen he should get 4 management, but he displays only three. None of his traits indicate any penalty to management. Is this a bug or oversight? Are the trait or ancillary descriptions wrong?

StealthEvo's Avatar Campidoctor

It's a simple disparity between the VnV and Ancillary data.

Looking at the relevant files it SHOULD be 3 at present with plans to bring it down to 2 AFAIK due to the Re-united Kingdom's Arnen bonus being 2.

If you are interested in fixing this bug. It's simple enough to fix.

Enter the CI (Fa:tw) file tree and navigate through the Data folder, then click text. Scroll down until you find the export_Ancillaries.txt file.

Run a search (using the Notepads search function in the edit menu and type in Arnen) Find the relevant description and enter the correct value. It should look like this once your finished

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    ¬---------------

{office_lord_of_emyn_arnen_mf}    Lord of Emyn Arnen

{office_lord_of_emyn_arnen_mf_desc}    This man is the Lord of Emyn Arnen.

{office_lord_of_emyn_arnen_mf_effects_desc}    +2 Influence, +3 Management, +2 Loyalty

Note of warning. I'm not sure if this type of modification will make the game loose it's save game compatibility. If it does. It's a simple matter of turning the value back to 4. But I think you should be safe.

Thx for reporting this, fixed (though ancs and traits will receive a complete overhaul for DoM anyway).

There's a similar disparity with the craban ancillary for Dunland. Can't remember what exactly, just remember changing it.

Fixed too.

Bug found with the family tree. This actually happened a few months ago and I was too lazy to report it. I thin the granola bars are giving me the energy to give a again.

So here is what has happened: I have well over 140 family members and my family tree is no longer showing my family, rather it is displaying the extinct, and rather tiny, family line of the Easterling's last dynasty. I think this happened around the time I wiped the Easterlings off the face of Middle Earth, again. This is anoying because it makes it rather difficult to manage my generals based on age, which is important to m strategy.

On a side note, I think it is rather unrealistic that either the Easterlings or the Southrons should ever ultimately be eliminated as a threat. Is there a way to ensure that another influx of these hoards reappears every few years after having been wiped out?

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

140 FMs? How long have you been playing?! =O

I don't think it's possible to spawn whole factions on the map. Even if, it's not doable without a script, and you know the team's attidude towards these.
    I think you make a point regarding the Easterlings. But I also think when you conquer the Haradrim's towns, they should be defeated.

What might be an idea (and possible without scripts I think) is to have a Haradrim emergent faction, that arises when the 'original' Haradrim are defeated. But actually I didn't play BI long enough to see how the faction-emergence works, except for the shadow factions (the Roman Rebels, that is). I'm not sure if it really would work, because you'd need a revolt in the conquered Haradrian towns.

But I actually sorta like this idea.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

I think that's one of the major flaws in Total War games - once you kill a faction it's out forever. It's ridiculous, that means if someone succeded in conquering France or England once, they're magically forgotten and can never come back. It makes holding on to large empires way to easy.

I have no idea why your family tree behaves that way, I don't think it's related to something we did, as we can't mod any aspect of that. Maybe the game short-circuits when you have more than X FMs?

WRT to Haradrim/Easterlings: there is no full-proof way of making sure a faction never dies, except shadowing, which comes with its own set of limitations. Even if you give those factions an inaccessible settlement somewhere (which will result in Easterlings not being able to horde), you still can't make sure they always have a family member in that settlement.

If we had any faction slots left, we could have factions emerging, which would only happen once per faction, but unfortunately we are using all of them.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

From my observation, the ghost unit bug happens when a unit comes into the charge-path of units that are ordered to attack a different unit and gets wiped out (or routed), collaterally, sort of.
    That's an observation I made during many battles, I could be wrong, though.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

I'm not too sure if this was intentional but when playing as Adunabar I conquered one of Rohan's provinces so I could recruit some decent light cavalry. As you know, Rohan can recruit 3 variants of the unit in question (small, medium, and large) but I could only recruit the smallest size.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Ha! Aut nunc aut nuncquam, this is the possibility to say: It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

What he said. ^

It would be an unfair advantage if you could recruit a 60-strong cavalry unit of Rohirrim quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast