Thread: What is the deal with legionaries???

Default What is the deal with legionaries???

Personally I don`t like how they`re balanced. They don`t have enough men in a unit, which is really irritating as you have to field large armies always otherwise you will have a very small battle line. And looking at their stats, it amazed me to see that their gladius is armour piercing, is an area effect attack and is also BODY PIERCING. What is with these weird stat? Well I can understand the AP attribute, as legionaries would often stab armoured opponents in the neck. But this is unfair, how come all the other swordsman don`t get this attribute? And I have no idea what is the deal with the BP and area attack. In practice, they are OP. A hastati cohort will absolutely dominate a sword warband and even better units, even though these units have better stats and larger numbers. IRL the republican legions were never this good, they wern`t small bands of elite soldiers. The battles they won were more due to better organisation and tactics than them being elite soldiers.

Default Re: What is the deal with legionaries???

i believe the people who made the roman units so good was to make it more realistic. They are in smaller numbers because they almost were outtnumbered in real life the units have affects like ap to kill men quicker as the gladius was far suerior to other weapons of that time and the creator of the mod tried to get this across through lowering the numbers but increasing their strength.

Hope this helps

Ok, I`ve done some test and really, legionaries are MASSIVELY OP. A unit of hastati will beat a unit of chosen swordsman and spartan hoplites 1v1. I mean, yes the gladius was good but it wasn`t a life hack that allowed even the lowest rank legionary to beat any other infantry in the game. Seriously, test it for yourself, a unit of hastati will beat a chosen swordsman unit.

ok thats a bit stupid. But to beat the romans all you have to do is flank them and most gallic infantry have double the ammount of units that the roman ones have. But yes chosen swords men should beat hastati but i think principes should beat chosen swordsmen.

Yeah, the hastati pretty much beat any other unit in the game. I`ve changed all my legionaries have normal stats, but units of 70 (large size). In fact I was going to make a mod to balance a lot of things (Balanced OP generals bodyguard, balance legionaries, nerf Roman cav Ect) but I`ve been more preoccupied with the Third Age Mod.

yeap except getting run over by chariot or heavy cav, even hastati can stand against most attacks from barbarians until they are chopped down to like 10 men below from 62 men. If it has general around it it will probably fight till it is down to like 5 men. But i don't think hastati has insane stat. They seem to usually have insane moral for their price (stat is good for their price as well but moral is more insane i think) and make the other units route by simply having better morale.

I recently started playing RTW with Darthmod again and I am facing this problem. The Roman units are overpowered as hell, but this only becomes visible in battle mode. When autocalculating battles, this fact is ignored and they lose to Greek/Gaul etc. armies.

Tweaking the unit stats so that Hastati (as well as any other roman unit) actually hack any other (technically superior) unit into pieces is a game-breaker for me.
    As Julii I could defeat all Barbarian nations with ease by just simply putting my units in a single line and pressing fast-forward...

and I just did it, had a unit of traditional hoplites fighting hastatis in the front with phalanx, then i sent another one to attack in their rear, they barely lost 30 men and made the front unit to rout, thats stupid

At the present moment, I am annihilating Julii and Brutii armies with Carthage. The trick is to use ye olde hammer and anvil strikes, with adequate missile cover. Toe to toe, you're not going to phase any of the Roman infantry, but with combined arms and striking at the right moment, you can mass route them fairly easily. This I have done without using elephants.

I agree. I recently completed a united rome 280bc campaign (on the large map, with one roman faction, and part of italy still controlled by greeks etc) on hard/hard. Which was a nightmarish slog, and would have been guaranteed impossible if not for my Hastati who let me win impossible victory after impossible victory. If they are weakened, the balance of the game would be totally out and rome would become extremely difficult (for me, anyway) to play as.

However, I feel that they are definitely too strong. Historically the Romans got thrashed loads of times, as their equipment (even the gladius) was not ridiculously better than what opponents were capable of creating (though it was issued more uniformly). I feel the unit size is about right though, as it gives a solid manipular feel and reflects history in that the romans were usually outnumbered.

Having said all this I don't know of any better way they could be done instead. Had a lot of fun with this mod, though annoying as usual when the late game becomes a huge grind with 50x battles per turn and no diplomacy.