Thread: Chrace: How?!

Default Chrace: How?!

Hey guys;

I just downloaded and started playing your fantastic mod this morning. I'll just say that, regardless of my unique inability, it is a brilliant piece of work. The amount of detail put into everything, from the Lore, to the AI, to the modelling, even into the landscaping, is phenomenal.

But I just can't bleeding well play Chrace!

I started playing Warhammer Fantasy when I was about 11, and I love Chrace. Big hunters with axes, lion pelts, they're the most manly Elves, yet swift and proud aswell. I'm currently building a Chrace army (sooooo many White Lions models O.O ).

I digress.

I tend to go to my right and try to take the Cultist City there, but by the time I do, I've got Naggarothi armies waving out Tor Achare, and not enough money to stop them. Alongside this, the Anar tend to jump in and take Elisiaf (sp?) for whatever reason. Nagarythe usually jump in aswell.

This is on 'Medium', by the way.

What I need is advice. Help. Tips. Please, I beg of ye.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Chrace: How?!

I'm no The Sundering mod expert but from my experiences taking an army of your faction leader and a few units early in the game to take a city is a good idea. Your faction leader is going to almost single handedly kill the garrison when they sally forth (because you will have far less numbers than them) then you just destroy them on the field. This is the way I usually do it. Sitting around waiting for a decent army to take a city will make it too late.
    You look great today.

Build merchants, send them to the south west to Caledor, you have there nice silver and gold mines close to the mountains. The new ressources we added like shrines and statues offer pilgrim incomes if you put merchants on it.
    You want to prefer economic buildings like hunting decree or breeding. Your Isha temples provide health bonus and growth bonus, use them to develop your cities by raising your taxes to highest rate. The bonus in growth and happiness from Isha temples should balance it.

Remember you have also the temples of Kurnous who provide unique +2 dmg to missile units, which means even your boosted militia can match standard professional enemy's archers. This way you will get cheap archers that will do the job untill you will be able to recruit a lot of archers with amazing bonus. Do not fear to disband elite units at the very beginning (for exemple lion chariots) because the loss of this very high upkeep will save your ass and give you good breath for many many turns.

Do not try to build everything in all your settlements, focus on one big city and one big castle (where you will recruit all your troops), simply develop growth-like buildings in the other settlements to have bigger population (and so better taxes) and better walls to defend.

You can also use purges to get free upkeep and launch a purge on an enemy city. conquer it and sack the city to burn the heretics and get plenty of money. Once you conquer a city/building which will not be very useful (because of lack of strategic position or because it is far too small and will take ages to develop...) simply destroy all the buildings inside and leave it behind. You'll get plenty of money while leaving this settlement to an enemy who can not use it to recruit armies that will harass you.
    Last edited by TWmadman; January 27, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade

This is exactly why I wanted to play as Chrace initially before the allure of Ellyrion captured me.

I did exactly as Alkarin said and used a small detachment of warriors with my general. Though be careful to use your faction leader only in field battles. Despite how awesome it is to see the White Lions of Chrace fight alongside animated white lions, they do cause a crash in siege battles.

You can build a single ram and with a small enough force they'll rally out against you.

In this modification, you have to really learn how to be aggressive in every aspect. Even my mannerisms when playing Ellyrion have had to change. I consistently go on the assault and keep tricking enemies to sally out against me.

You could even disband more expensive units to make room for more stock spears, if needed.

TWmadman covered all the other great tips.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Hey guys;

Thanks for all the advice. I love your mod to pieces, but after spending two hours continuously trying to fend off the Naggarothi, I decided to head off to Yvresse, instead. I've had a lot more success here; using the hints and tips TWmadman and Ethien offered, I'm doing pretty well.

Hopefully, I'll become proficient enough to play Caledor, than perhaps Chrace.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I haven't tried Chrace for long myself. I may do a personal campaign in my spare time and see what I'm able to do.

Playing as another faction is certainly a good call. I'm glad we could help!
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Bela's Avatar Ducenarius

One thing you should try early game with Chrace: conquer the closest Naggarothi town (just west of your capital) -your starting armies should make it in a hard, but not impossible battle (and you can sacrifice your high-upkeep units), sell ALL buildings in it, then send your diplomat to Anar, and give them that town for money, alliance and military access. They WILL pay a fair amount of money to you (best deal was 500 gold for 15 turns + alliance +trade rights + military access).
    This WILL make your life easier, as the Naggarothi will turn to Anar, and as they are a horde faction, you will have the time to prepare to battle the Naggarothi even if Anar lost their last settlement.
    After having your back secured by your new ally, conquer the cultist town to the east (if you are lucky, your eastern neighbor have already weakened them), you can either keep it (gives a fair 1000 income/turn and increase trade income in neighboring cities) or sell it to your eastern buddies (for alliance, trade rights and money).
    Then both of your neighbours like you, allied to you and have a direct enemy in front of their gates (Naggarothi in the west and Cultists in the east), you will have a peaceful 10-20 turns to strenghten your economy and train troops (and assassins. Train assassins, they will do the dirty job for you. Train on rebel -demon- armies, those will be disbanded if you kill their leader) and will have a much better chance to face the Naggarothi when they arrive to you (and they will come. They always come).
    When they arrive to you, call for crusade upon one of their settlements. It will make your fight easier (crusade armies have no upkeep), and the other factions will come to your aid.
    That's it in short, only one last thing: pay attention to your back when fighting Naggarothi, your eastern neighbors will betray you!
    And another thing: train militia spearmen as garrison units in your safe cities. They are weak ones, but have the free upkeep ability in settlements and are really cheap to be trained (so they are perfect to increase public order).
    "No Rest until the Blood of Greenskins flows like Dark Ale upon the Earth!"

+++ Josef Bugman +++

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

Nice guide, Bela +rep
    Last edited by Kolwen; January 29, 2013 at 03:21 AM.

some tips that i learn, you can use shadow warrior to destroy siege tower by fire your arrow to the soldier that carry siege tower

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

Here you have my two cents. Bring a merchant to this location and start trading spices. Nobody will disturb him and you will get a lot of money.