Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Imperium Romanum

Default Re: [Preview] Imperium Romanum

There is, for example, precisely one Norman horseman throwing his lance on the Bayeux Tapestry. One.
    Poses of charging horsemen attacking English (to the left of shieldwall in Tapestry) look as caught just before throw. Maybe It is simply overarm style, but It seems different to that from right side of shieldwall (with no doubt overarm style), seems to be more "sprawling". It may be my oveinterpretation
    If It is overarm style, horsemen throwing spears are just as numerous in Tapestry as... horse archers
    Isn't there really any another evidence regarding Norman cavalry throwing their spears?
    I can safely say he never existed in the Eastern Frankish/German lands. Ottonian and Salian cavalry would use their lances to thrust and, perhaps, in Ottonian time to fence.
    As you said, perhaps fence - this is why I think that one or two cavalry units in Frankish roster shouldn't change weapon to swords but use spears in melee.

soooo freaking awesome +rep to all contributors

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Indefinitely Banned

shouldn't be this faction named The Holy Roman Empire?? it fits more accurately

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

No, term Sacrum Imperium Romanum (HRE) started to be used only during the regin of Frederick I Barbarossa.

FliegerAD and wareg thanks for your answers

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

Great preview!
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Very nice indeed

Independent from the nice mod concept/preview, as for pure interest:
    - Stumbled about the Saxon Crossbowmen ... would be interested in a historical source for this unit in this timeperiod.
    - Teardrop shieldform, ages ago i researched/discussed that point, too, can't remember now the results. Is it historical accurate that the presented units used that in this period already, source?
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Senator

Wow, this looks amazing. I had no idea this existed until now, but I am definitely intrigued!

Sorry Guys. Ist too late...(for me). I'm waiting for RTW 2 only. Stopped any TW game until Rome 2 release .

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    Sorry Guys. Ist too late...(for me). I'm waiting for RTW 2 only. Stopped any TW game until Rome 2 release .
    lol

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Fantastic work! Wonderful units and please give us this masterpiece more quikly as you can!

+rep for all the Team!

Two points:

-About the shields I think that in the age of the good Roman Emperor Otto, there shuld be a little more round shields.

- About lances I thing that from the introduction of the stirrup, we can see this kind of thrusting tactic, so, being the stirrup introduced into the western military warfare by the Langobards in the VII century, I don't see any problem here.

Now sorry if I steal some space here, but some time ago I was again in Bobbio, the Monastry founded by the Irish monk Saint Columban in 614, and I took these pics of the mosaic in the church, it's a very early XII century mosaic, belonging exactly to the age of Otto & Sons, similar to the Baieux tapestry, there are knights (Milites) and foot soldiers, wearing mail armors, carrying round shields, with thrusting spears, take a look, and sorry for the quality but the mosaic is under the the high altar and it's not easy to get good photos (I alredy posted some pics from Bobbio, but now I was more close to the mosaic and...it's wonderful, there are also elephants! Yes because these are Biblical stories):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Great preview as always. Congratz to all team.

-------------Leader of the AP mod-----------------

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Another awesome preview! Keep it on! Für Gott und Kaiser!
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

SirGejor's Avatar Biarchus

Great preview guys
    OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE
    Veni, Vidi,Vinci - Gaius Julius Caesar...

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

DAMN them soldiers are good looking!
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

great preview!

CelticSlav's Avatar Tiro
    San Jose, CA, USA (I'm from Galway, Ireland)

Nice preview! Danke schön!

Foederatus

Great and beautiful preview.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Thank you all for you kind words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll King View Post
    shouldn't be this faction named The Holy Roman Empire?? it fits more accurately
    About the name choice read here please.
    In conclusion we want to show the political/diplomatic and millitary strugle of two empires that wanted the name for them selves. Here we do not wish to backup one side's or the other about who was the real Roman Empire. We want to show that conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Very nice indeed

Independent from the nice mod concept/preview, as for pure interest:
    - Stumbled about the Saxon Crossbowmen ... would be interested in a historical source for this unit in this timeperiod.
    - Teardrop shieldform, ages ago i researched/discussed that point, too, can't remember now the results. Is it historical accurate that the presented units used that in this period already, source?
    Please see our previus previews. By creating Saxons as crossbowmen we are NOT try to say that Saxons served as crossbowmen only.
    In the concept we tried to show all available weapons the those armies used and te fact that german soldiers were kind of topical (Saxon etc).
    We could name the unit "german crossbowmen" but then we would miss the opportunity to say to our fans that in the German armies the armies had slightly differend composition than others based on their provinces.
    An other example are our Roman cataphracts Ikkanati and Scholarii.
    Both units used both lancers and archers. But instead of creating 4 units (2 for each) we chosed one role for each one.
    That is the basic concept we follow in all our rosters exept to those we want to emphasise in a unit of an event.
    About kite/leaf shields.
    It is true that those kind of shields were not unknown from the 6th century in eastern and central europe thanks to Avars.
    See that our East Frankia roster has NO such shield. We added those shields to "germans" to show in visible way the army's evolution. Despite that couple of levy units are identical to East Frankia ones and a "knight" unit (Defencores) still uses simple round shields (even simplier that those East Frankia units use). In this way we want to show the transparend period of co-existing of round and kite shields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    You will be back...I have read such post from the time ETW was about to be released, then NTW and Shogun 2...They all were disapointed and returned to the best and most moddable TW game.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Indeed, despite having Shogun 2 on my PC I mostly play Roma Surrectum II, which I find much better than Shogun... and thats a mod for RTW

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Excellent preview.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast