Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis EU/US Multiplayer

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Europa Universalis EU/US Multiplayer

double post :S
    Last edited by IZob; March 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Burgundy is better than France, provided everything goes right. If you're quick and lucky, within 5 years you can have annexed a fair chunk of wealthy Dutch/German lands with cores and have France under a union with you. And when you do, not only are you more powerful due to having more lands, but your sliders are massively better. The one time I played Burgundy before in single player, by 50 years in I'd inherited and united France, controlled most of Holland / Western Germany, was HRE and was diplo-vassalising / conquering and releasing the majority of the HRE. Add in my awesome Free Trade slider and I was wealthier than I ever needed to be to the point where the game was too easy to consider continuing. Granted the HRE bit is tricky to pull off in MP, the inheriting France bit is do-able.

France on the other hand is ridiculously easy to become powerful with, since all you basically have to do is get your cores from the English player, release and annex all your vassals you have cores on, and annex Burgundy. That's easy to pull off in 20 years and once you've done it you can field 100k comfortably.
    I wouldn't say the sliders are massively better between the two nations. Sure Burgundy has more Free Trade, +1 land and +1 Quality then France. Burgundy is also less Autocratic then France. But these are mostly small bonus margins. In MP there are always a lot of Free trader nations, quite a few better then Burgundy, and being full offensive is a gift and curse. Provinces are easily captured if you are not protecting the home land. MP complicates this further with other players getting in the way of missions (which is quite vital for Burgundy) such as the Hansa vassalising Luxembourg, getting betrayed by allies and AI France still not defeated because it hasn't been in a PU. You can only give France so many demands, even when it has fully lost. Then the HRE... that was a lot of fun.

Don't forget, I missed a session in which Burgundy HELPED the Hansa against Austria/TO which failed. Resulted in Burgundy doing not much that session (except somehow gaining Paris, without a core).
    Last edited by IZob; March 28, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

One does not simply argue with Musty.

Burgundy didn't actually help, it joined the war and did nothing and then peaced out

It still pissed us off :p
    ''Holy hell that Scythe is overpowerd! Death should be nerfed!''

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    I wouldn't say the sliders are massively better between the two nations. Sure Burgundy has more Free Trade, +1 land and +1 Quality then France. Burgundy is also less Autocratic then France. But these are mostly small bonus margins. In MP there are always a lot of Free trader nations, quite a few better then Burgundy, and being full offensive is a gift and curse. Provinces are easily captured if you are not protecting the home land. MP complicates this further with other players getting in the way of missions (which is quite vital for Burgundy) such as the Hansa vassalising Luxembourg, getting betrayed by allies and AI France still not defeated because it hasn't been in a PU. You can only give France so many demands, even when it has fully lost. Then the HRE... that was a lot of fun.
    I went and looked up the slider differences:

• France is 2 more Aristocratic (and frankly, I prefer Aristocratic, but this one isn't a big deal)
    • Burgundy is 4 more Free Subjects
    • Burgundy is 3 more Free Trade
    • Burgundy is 3 more Offensive
    • Burgundy is 1 more Land
    • Burgundy is 1 more Quality

Apart from Aristocratic Burgundy wins on every slider. 4 Free Subjects and 3 Free Trade give it major advantages in very useful sliders, so I fail to see how these are "small bonus margins". The rest only improve Burgundy's acumen as a land power. The thing with the Offence/Defence slider is it's best to be at the extremes, and the shock bonus is very welcome early in the game when Cavalry is King.

Regarding Free Trade, why do you think there's many Free Trade nations better than Burgundy? Burgundy starts +2 and most other majors start at neutral at best, with most at some degree of Mercantalism. All of the Merchant Republics except Novgorod start Mercantalist. I'd say the only common player nation that's in a better position than Burgundy to go Free Trade is Holland, and people tend to avoid them if a Burgundian is in play! Consider that a Burgundian player can devote just two slider moves and within 10 years be at +4, knowing that Statute of the Monopolies will get him to +5. Even if he spends the entirety of the early game amassing infamy, he can then spend his valuable slider moves on other sliders whilst people who are aiming to trade are playing catch up. When Europe is mostly split between players and the colonial game begins, Burgundy can then pick up trade ideas and maintain low infamy and trade with the best of them.

As for giving France demands, one of my favoured tactics if you can't PU them is to release some of the larger French minors, then immediately RM, break alliance and claim throne. Normandy, Champagne and Toulouse don't spawn with heirs and can net you a large chunk of France quite quickly. As for players interfering with your missions, those should be done in 10-20 years, with the only player who can mess with you during that timeframe being the Hansa, and early game you'll dwarf their troop numbers. If your goal is the lowlands and France, I'd imagine most Hanseatic players would be agreeable to simply staying out of lands you have missions on provided you agree to stay out of central Germany. That leaves you to concentrate on France whilst the Austrian / Hanseatic players fight it out in Germany.

Long post, but there you go.
    Last edited by Musthavename; March 29, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Probably have to leave early tomorrow for Easter dinner. No wars hopefully?
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

lol that is not good Better find a sub just incase

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Don't know any. Anyone able to help with that?
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Don't know any. Anyone able to help with that?
    NotPoach can probably ride to the rescue.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Someone post the map.

This session Prussia:
    -Integrated Brandenburg
    -Saved its old people, fellow prussians and the loyal lithuanians
    -Converted the last catholics in the realm to the true faith

Is anyone opposed if I edit the save so I have a 6/6/6 monarch? I don't want to stick with this bug for god knows how long.

This session Swiss decided to begin glorious colonisation of africa, spending over 800 ducats on its journey to glory!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(In the pic Italian white-supremacists slaughtering Africans as requested by switzerland)
    Last edited by nhytgbvfeco2; March 31, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Map screenshot attached. Doesn't show Spain or Hindustan sorry.

I still don't fully understand why Poach left. Yes Burgundy is awesome. Yes the AI may have defeated him. But was Spain in a completely hopeless situation? No. So what was the motive?

If anyone should have a reason to leave, its Dan because he has no where to go. But he likes to play SimCity so he stays.

Oh and sorry I was late. Didnt realise the game was starting an hour earlier....

How did Rickie get Portugal btw? Was that sold off?
    Last edited by IZob; March 31, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Poach was bored, he didn't ragequit.

Map screenshot attached. Doesn't show Spain or Hindustan sorry.

I still don't fully understand why Poach left. Yes Burgundy is awesome. Yes the AI may have defeated him. But was Spain in a completely hopeless situation? No. So what was the motive?

If anyone should have a reason to leave, its Dan because he has no where to go. But he likes to play SimCity so he stays.

Oh and sorry I was late. Didnt realise the game was starting an hour earlier....

Poach left before the session started, burgundy AI beat spain AI not poach.
    Hey now, if you look at the pic above i clearly do have something to do
    never played sim city. :o

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Oh rly? Does Poach play other EU3 games? He cant be bored of the actual game. It's not possible.

@Dan. Right, AI vs AI my mistake.

Your playing SimCity in two regions then.

Sure.. you keep thinking that way..

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Good news guys! I tested out the game with a few runs in SP; Spain is willing to become a minor in a PU with Burgundy! Also found out I get a lot of awesome stuff when I form France like cores in Prussia, Italy, the HRE; even in Greece, Scandinavia and Russia. Plus a lot of new base tax and few sliders moves as well, like full centralisation. Finally I then become the Emperor, prestige goes to 200% and I get a special event that inherits all of Japan.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The down side is Switzerland implodes.

Define implodes?

I sold it to him so I could afford moving my capital (plus a nice little profit). I intended to keep a small part and sell the majority to Poach. But now that Poach quit, I think Rickie is good competition for you in Iberia (read: you're dead). I now managed to get my income back to respectable levels and trade is starting to flourish ones more.
    Last edited by Pat89; April 01, 2013 at 05:47 AM.