Thread: Silver Shield: 18th Edition

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

Default Silver Shield: 18th Edition

Welcome to the 18th Edition of the Silver Shield. Much has transpired around our lovely world of Total War and the team is glad to be back. I really do think that we have some of the most interesting pieces in the history of the Shield this go 'round. Firstly, Adamat has done a knockout job reviewing the RPG section of TWC. After you read GO GO GO and check it out for yourself. Next, for all of our lost and wayward Total War Souls out there, Diamat brings you the TWC Pantheon of gods. CHOOSE WISELY! Also, I'm glad to announce a new Shield exclusive, as Rarity and Princess Luna have teamed up to bring you the instant classic: A Murder in the Colesium. Finally, Parthian Shot has graced us with with an in depth look at the recently released Amazon: Total War 7.0.
    ENJOY!!!
    18th Edition Staff

Editor in Chief: SonofPeverel
    Reporter:Adamat
    Reporter: Diamat
    Reporter: Rarity
    Artist: Y2Day
    Cartoonist: Princess Luna

Adamat's RPG Overview
    Introduction

Hi all, and welcome to Adamat’s RPG guide for the forums. Now, i bet you are wondering, “Who is this guy and why is he messing up the Silver Shield?” Well, let me tell you before i get to the actual article. My current name is Adamat, as you can see, but i changed it many times in only one year on the forums. I have gone through no less than seven name changes in the first year of my TWCenter career. Anyways, let’s get back to the point. Most of my time on the forums used to disappear into the deep, hidden RPG section and the Underhive of The Center, but i longed to do something for the forums instead of just consuming. Well, here i am, as the new member of the Silver Shield. Hope i don’t mess up too bad

RPGs? On the forums?

I kid you not. Now, you might have discovered them once, but chances are you just decided to get out while you still could. It’s mainly for those people i am writing this article, for your amusement and perhaps to advertise a bit as well.

Well, tell me all about it, then.

Your wish is my command. Currently, there are five active RPGs, namely:
    -A game of Thrones

For all you George Martin fanboys (guilty). The main goal of this game? Play the Game of Thrones, and follow this one rule: When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no leeway. That said, this RPG is the most active RPG on the forums, and arguably the most fun (I am biased). You play a character in the fictive kingdom of Westeros, from the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Now, you can choose to be a high Lord or a lowly merchant, but your main goal is, of course, clear. You try to get as much power as possible, to become the most dangerous, most respected, or even richest of all. Most players are Lords of the Noble Houses, and boy are they an active bunch! Most of them are constantly looking for ways to increase their power, exile their neighbor, or kill their King. But there’s always the good guys as well, who stick with their lord and be nice. Pff, douches!

-God Save the King

One of the most well-known and longest-running RPGs on the forum. This one is all about living your life in medieval England, as a knight, a King, or a poor freedman. Most of the players become squires, and after that knights, and barons, earls, Dukes, and one day perhaps King of England. You go about, smashing all kinds of people into submission, ranging from the Welsh at home to the Unbelievers in the Holy Lands. sign up!

-There and Back Again

An RPG about the Lord of the Rings universe, where you play as an important figure of one of the races, be they Goblin, Dwarf, or anything inbetween. This one is fairly new, just weeks old at the moment i write this article. The setting is very long before the movies take place, and thigs are really tense with Elves and Men raiding the Goblins, and the Goblins locked in combat with the Dwarves for the Mines of Moria. You can make up your own units here as long as you don’t overdo it and keep to certain rules, so that’s definitely cool as well. It has, like the other CRPGs hit a bit of a rough patch in the last weeks.

-Deus Vult!

The newest creation on the boards. It had very much activity until a few weeks ago, with almost all of the best RPers taking a shot at this game revolving around the medieval Crusader States in the Holy Lands. You take command of a man of the sword or the robe, being a fighter or a clergyman or frankly anything you want to be. The recent creation of this one makes it even more interesting, because there’s still so much to do.

-Age of the Cataclysm

The last RPG on the forums, is called Age of the Cataclysm. It is a Dungeons and Dragons based RPG, where the Apocalypse is upon mankind. The gates of hell are opened, and an endless stream of monsters and demons entered our world. There are but few survivors, including the player. Man, elve, orc, it doesn't matter. Can order and peace be restored to Terra, or will it cease to exist? This battle of battles could use all the fighters it can get.

A few interviews with RPers

Okay,people Beware what you are going to read next, because these two interviews are answered by two of the most important men in the RPG boards. I’ll start with the King of the RPGs, Severus Snape, also known as Pontifex Maximus.

1) So, you have been around the RPG section for quite long. What made you join the first time?

My first venture into RPG-like games on TWC was a game a few friends and I made. Looking back it was more of an RP version of a hotseat game. We would RP a certain leader in a TW game and pass the save around. It was good fun but quite a different feel from what is more popular nowadays. That lasted several months before I began moderating and playing You are The Senate, which lasted about two years. I joined because I loved playing TW games, but wanted to have a multiplayer experience that was more collaborative instead of PvP.

2) How hard is it for you to keep track of everything and keep it running smoothly?

It is difficult to strike a balance between what the participants in the RPG forums want and what I can realistically ask for. TWC doesn't have unlimited resources, and while all of the administrators I've worked with have been wonderful in providing fast and appropriate changes to existing forums, I realize that the CRPG's appetite for more forums and more games has to be limited. Screening new proposals is a tough job because I may seem arbitrary in my judgment, but I'm drawing from a longer memory than most when it comes to these things; I think I have a good eye for determining what will and what will not be successful. I like to give every game proposal a chance, if I can. I strive to be fair but not at the expense of using too many forum resources.

In terms of directly moderating games, I have recently decided to take a back seat. I focus more on writing rules than the day to day moderation of games.

3) Have you ever thought about leaving the CRPG's behing and focus on something else? If so, why?

Yes and no. Last spring I became fed up and left the site for three months. Moderating games takes a toll between dealing with constant complaints, feuds and criticisms. It takes hours to write up a set of rules and further hours every day moderating a game. When people show little appreciation or exploit problems patience runs thin. Other than that I don't really have any desire to have other projects on TWC. I've tried a few things in the last six months that haven't worked out. There's really nothing else for me to focus on, whether I wanted to do so or not.

4) Did you RP before you got on TWCenter? If so, which game(s) was it all about?

Not at all

5) Did you really kill Dumbledore?

I couldn't let Draco do it

Sensational! Many thanks to Severus for his great answers!

Continuing with that other VIP i talked about; Lucius Malfoy! He is a very active RPer, and runs a lot of CPRGs as head moderator. He is, as you might have guessed, Severus’ protégé and partner in crime. I asked Lucius the same questions as Severus, with the exception of number 5.

1) So, you have been around the RPG section for quite long. What made you join the first time?

Well I have always been a roleplayer. I have been around RPG forums and various RPG-friendly sites for about 9 years now. When I saw an RPG forum on the site of my favorite RTS series, I had to see what was there. And I immediately loved it!

2) How hard is it for you to keep track of everything and keep it running smoothly, as a mod?

It can be hard at times. It really comes down to the rules and how well they are set. Keep it simple and straight to the point, easier on the mods. Make it complex even for the players and things get messy. I have had my fair share of having trouble keeping track of things and trying to keep things running smoothly. I learn more and more with each moderation role I get.

3) Have you ever thought about leaving the CRPG's behind and focus on something else? If so, why?

I have never really though of leaving CRPG behind. But if I did, I would do so for real life situations such as focusing on school work or finding a job. Real life is always priority to me and if it whines or starts falling apart, I must go to it.

4) Did you RP before you got on TWCenter? If so, which game(s) was it all about?

I did RP before I came to TWCenter. As I said before, I have roleplayed on all sorts of sites, games and forums. I am currently roleplaying on GuildWars 2 and doing some Star Wars RPGs on another site. I really go for sci-fi, fantasy and historical RPGs. Some are based off games, some aren't.

5) What do you think about Snape killing Dumbledore?

Well, in my views, it was a glorious victory for us Death Eaters. One great obstacle out of Voldemort's way and one step closer to achieving absolute victory in the Wizarding World.

Much thanks to him as well, of course.

Well people, we have come to the end of this article of the Silver Shield. I hope you all enjoyed my first article, and of course hope i inspired you to roleplay on the boards!

Total War Center Believes! By: Diamat

Introduction

Indeed, Total War Center believes! For those of you who do not frequent the Thema Devia or have never met Legio (who hasn’t?), know that this place has developed a variety of faiths. It is truly an intriguing phenomenon, so intriguing that it contributed to me getting sucked in by TWC a little over a year ago. My own involvement in the “faith wars” and religious roleplay has inspired me to compose this article in order to convey a brief (and by no means exhaustive) summary of TWC’s various religions. Beware! What you will read below might seem very, very strange. Some of it might not even make sense, especially the doctrinal excerpts I have included. Thus I have inserted my own commentary to better illustrate the spirit of each religion. And to make this even more fun to read, you’ll find comments by Ferdiad dispersed throughout, a jolly Devian who has experienced the rise of most of these religions.

Read and be at peace! SHUMAHUM!

The Holy Church of Meloncat

Founder: Cahoma

The Holy Church of Meloncat is a true offspring of the Thema Devia, as is reflected in its membership. Founded by Cahoma, who at one point ruled the Thema Devia as its beloved dictator, this organization represents one of the most intriguing products of the underhive. Cahoma himself tells that the church started out of a whim:

“I was in school and had a long time to write some stupid report about exercise or something. So instead I decided to start a church as that was obviously much more important.”

But its subsequent popular appeal and endurance was a most surprising development, surviving even its founder’s withdrawal from active participation in church activities. During Cahoma’s hiatus, which occurred shortly after his untimely resignation as dictator, the church experienced a sudden revival, feeling a void of Devian (i.e., inhabitants of the Thema Devia) leadership. Thus, the people took matters into their own hands and utilized the powerful imagery of Cahoma (aka Meloncat) to advance their own agendas. But this does not seem to surprise its founder, who calmly asserts this to have been prophesied:

Oh yes. "This will totally happen" – Book of Prophecies 1;4

Cahoma further states that anyone can become a prophet of this religion given that they reach level 4 of Melonology. This seems to be exactly what happened. Self-proclaimed prophets emerged, such as Diamat, who declared himself Pope of the Holy Church of Meloncat. A schism actually occurred when Princess Luna founded the Holy Church of Lemoncat in defiance of Diamat, consequently dragging with him several followers. Thenceforth a cold religious war has been waged in the Thema Devia, which surfaces every so often, as Devians’ whims dictate.

"The Holy Church of Lemoncat really should be called Church of Lebomoniation."

In terms of doctrine, the Holy Church of Meloncat is centered around its deity, Meloncat, who is considered to be the creator of all living beings. His Melon symbolizes the life juices running through our veins. As already hinted, the church is not strict when it comes to doctrinal interpretation, as anyone can pretty much add to it. This is reflected in the doctrine of the “Four Levels of Melonology,” which represent stages of enlightenment. Because the attainment of level 4 results in prophethood, one could argue, expropriation of the church in the hands of “usurpers” would be inevitable. In any event, the only hard and fast doctrines are that followers are not permitted to worship other gods, respect their brothers of the faith, and make sacrifices to Meloncat.

"The one true religion of the TD, It's the reason we exist today. I know when times are hard and rep is scarce I pray for salvation."

Doctrinal Excerpt

The Prophet Paradigm

Unlike so many other heretical "churches", The Holy Church of Meloncat does not discriminate amongst its followers. Anyone can become a holy prophet of Meloncat, however, certain criteria must be met first.

You must reach the 4th level of Melonology.
    1st level: Pray to the almighty Meloncat so that he may know of your devotion.
    This one is easy. Many people pray to the glorious Meloncat and seek his guidance before they join our church. This can be done at home before you sleep or even while driving your car on the way to work.

2nd level: Read The Book of Meloncat so that you may find guidance and knowledge.
    When you have prayed and discovered the greatness that is Meloncat, it is time to gain further knowledge by reading the holy book.. Our holy Book of Meloncat can be found right here, so you will always have easy access to it for as long as you stay in the church.

3rd level: Discuss the divine merits of the allholy Meloncat so that we may all be enlightened.
    When you have read and read till your eyes are dry, you are finally ready to discuss the merits of Meloncat. You should seek the attention of elder priests or other followers who have reached level 3.

4th level: Embrace His Fuzzy Wuzzyness so that you may find comfort and salvation.
    At last, when you've discussed His merits it is finally time to embrace Him. Many people fail at this and never go beyond level 3.
    You should seek solitude and pray to Meloncat. While it might seem like level 1 to the unaffiliated, the enlightenment gained by reaching the past levels make this a much different experience.

Prophethood:
    Finally, after you've reached the 4th level you are ready to be inspired by the great Meloncat. You must open yourself to his divine inspiration and it will come.

Now begone! Seek His divine inspiration so that you may further His cause!

The Cult of the Liver

Founder: Lyra

The Cult of the Liver is a rather unknown faith. This is largely because according to its founder, the cult emerged during the heavy roleplaying days of the Thema Devia. Its membership appears to be few, or in Lyra’s own words:

“The followers of the cult are few and select and have long faded into the mists. I have known two others hailing from the Eastlands where the Russians are not. There need be no list to Dharma, only knowingness.”

What does “Dharma” refer to? It seems to be borrowed from Indian terminology (law?), which only compounds the cult’s mysteriousness. Its focus, obviously, is the liver. These worshippers consider the liver to be the most pure of all organs and therefore they aim to become like it. But what distinguishes the cult from other TWC religions is its peacefulness. It does not aim to convert anyone. People are to discover the path by themselves:

“Why help the one who in peril find himself, when said peril was said to him before? When peril was strewn in the stars and in the whispers of the earth? Peril warned by the mouth, worded in loudness? No! Do not help such a fool! Be as a Musa and watch without pity.”

Whatever a “musa” is I do not know. In Korean “musa” means “warrior,” but it is unknown whether or not there is a relation. Come to think of it, musa might refer to Inkie Pie (aka King Musa), since Lyra is married to Inkie, but that is a topic best left to another article. Although the Cult of the Liver is rather small, unknown, and mysterious today, there is a chance it might be revived one day and become a major player in TWC’s religious wars. All it needs is a motivated prophet.

"Ha! If livers are so important then why did this cult die out. I know I don't have one and I haven't died yet."

Doctrinal Excerpt

Mikalos of Tarentum 56 B.C.
    Did the Liver ask for the receiving? Did it ever protest? So I say to you: Did the fish ask to walk? Did the Yehuaite not want silver? The answer to all is no. No, for the Liver does what is in nature of what the Liver must. The Liver is most noble and humble, that is why we must take upon the role of the liver, as to make our image of the same type.

Ogalias of Shwed c. 67 A.D.
    Be as of the Liver! For the Liver is the greatest organ, it is a true example. For the Liver taketh all the evil of the body, deteriorating it's being in such process, to spare the body from said malignancy. For then the Liver make of this bad good, sending for cleansed evil back. Thus the body is as a white slate and has not to suffer, for the Liver suffers for the whole as to maintain it. For if the Liver was as selfish, what would be of the body? None is the answer.

Apply the way of the Liver to thine life; receive on to you the bad to keep away from the rest. To be looked upon as great example, of greatest humility and sacrifice, that be the way if one reflects the Liver. A man once said, hailing from the land of the Jews:

“If the other striketh on your jaw skin, do not retort, but instead answer in the swiveling of thine head: exposing contraire jaw skin. For you will turn the intentions of the offender into opposite, for he will have a lesser reason for the striking.”

And so I say, dear knowers of the Dharma: As of the Liver to truly live.

The Shummite Monks

Founder: Legio

The Shummite Monks are a thoroughly mysterious organization. Non-members have no idea what it is really about. Its founder, Legio, incessantly talks about “DEATH” but that is about all they know. As a result, many believe that SHUM, as the religion is called, does not actually possess any substance. This is largely due to the secretive nature of these monks. They are not allowed to discuss SHUM outside of the Shummite Monks group. The various code words they use as well as their aliases, hence, remain mysterious, although it seems obvious that Legio is MEHPS and that CHOMOLONZO is some sort of holy place. The origin of the organization and its weird names remains hidden. No one really knows what SHUM is or why they are called Shummite Monks. Indeed, it would seem the organization loves to confuse non-believers with an impenetrable language. As the below excerpt shows, Shummite language seems to possess its own idiosyncrasies, most likely developed by its founder.

"The visitor messages they engage in wouldn't be out of place in a semi-high quality porn film."

Doctrinal Excerpt
    MEHPS, having meditated for many days and nights on the summit of CHOMOLONZO, and having consulted ESCARGOTS, and having searched deep within his own heart, proclaims that he will nee speak of shummite principles and affairs, for they are nee suitable for public consumption. Only shummites may bee be knowing of them.

The Avian Alliance

Founder: Diamat

The Avian Alliance (AA) was founded with the intent to unite all birds of Total War Center, with the eventual hope of infiltrating all areas of this site and take it over. Founded by Diamat, this organization currently only contains three members, its founder,Adamat, and Baerke Hinn Gauzki, the latter two being a penguin-like creature from another world and a fearsome version of Donald Duck.

Although at first sight the AA may seem rather secular, in truth it is deeply religious. The Avians consider themselves to be the avant-garde of the Holy Church of Meloncat, philosophers of SHUM, and followers of Legiamat. In short, the AA represents a syncretic organization, attempting to harmonize the various popular faiths. Their holy book, Avarius, explains the genesis of birdkind through the grace of Meloncat as well as their divine mission to protect the Meloncat Faith and guide all unbelievers toward ascension, a state of unity with Meloncat. It is through their common divine creation that the Avians define themselves as one united whole, endowed with a singular purpose. They will let nothing stand in their way of achieving what they consider to be their holy mission.

Image (by Hobbes) symbolizing a harmony of the faiths

"Would you trust AA with your car insurance? I think not, would you trust AA with your soul? I think not."

Doctrinal Excerpt

But this ain’t all, folks!

To the contrary, there are a variety of religions and sub-cults that did not receive special attention in this brief exploratory article. Take, for example, the Khurch of Kong, which actually represents one of the oldest faiths here at TWC, since it centers around the iconic King Kong, master of the Stainless Steel mod series for Medieval Total War II. Their main doctrine seems to be to hate Empire Total War, for it is an abomination. But other than that, according to Kameraden, who is a member of this religion, the Khurch of Kong is rather accepting of other religions, such as the Holy Church of Meloncat or the Shummite Monks.

Next to Kongism, there exist also such smaller religious philosophies and churches as Legiamat and the aforementioned Holy Church of Lemoncat. The former is a rather new philosophy that spontaneously emerged out of conversations between Legio (aka DEATH) and Diamat (aka LIFE). It is sort of a dialectical monism. Even our young commentator, Ferdiad, once attempted to found his own religion, the Church of Rabbit, but was not very successful in his endeavor.

"I always feel safe when I see ALL CAPS words randomly appear in sentences."

In any event, I hope what I have reported here has inspired you all! Now it is your turn! Go and spread the word! Go found your own religion! There is no such thing as too much religion in this most glorious nation of Total War Center!

A murder in the Coliseum: Part 1

Interview with Parthian Shot, By:SonofPeverel

What led you to the GLORY that is Total War Centre?

I have had a user account at Total War org since the Shogun I days, but TWC has always being the place to get modding information. I just never had the need to became a user, until Amazon Total War needs to be published.

Why parthian shot?

I was one of few females who was allowed to study armored tactics. And in my study, I worked on nomadic's tactics for comparison with modern day panzer or blitzkieg doctrines and understood how the nomads would set up a bait by luring the opponent to pursue them. while the enemy is hot on their heel (or their horse hoofs), the most damage is inflicted by performing the Parthian Shot. When I conducted computer simulation, the Parthian Shot tactics with ambush (like Rommel did in North Africa) won every time. So I am nicked named Parthian Shot and the name stuck.

What lead you into modding?

Again, because I used MTW and later RTW to illustrate combat tactics in school (name shall be withheld). When one of my best friend died, we decided to honor her memory by publishing this mod.

Tell me a bit about Amazon Total War.

Amazon Total War series is about my anthropology theories. And it is also a tribute to ancient matriarchal equestrian society.

- because the ancient horses are mostly small. Mostly 12 hands tall (48" or 120cm) tall, this facet gives women an unfair advantage as cavalry soldiers.
    - I then came upon the theory that perhaps Amazon is not the name of a nation, or a tribe, but rather, they are a theocracy, or a secret religious order which can also be a parallel underground government from the men society.

The above two theses sparked the beginning of the Amazon Total War mod. When RTW came out, I already spent the two years collecting anthropology and archaeology data to help me to build such a mod. I spent another two years before the first mod was completed

What was the first mod that you played?

I used the Lordz' Napoleon Total War mod for MTW (the original one, not the M2TW) as a demo on mobile rocket launcher.
    other than that I only "play"ed on my own mod and Subrosa's.

Which historical site would you like to visit? Why?

Actually, to me, "history" is "his-story". I often stated that human existence is 95% her-story and only 5% his-story. Since no one can disagree that human started with matriarchal society (though none can prove it "historically" either).
    In transiting to patriarchal society, particularly through Achaemenid and Greco-Roman time, many facets and records of matriarchal society are destroyed or twisted beyond recognition since three thousand years back. So most of the women's stories are only reduced to legends and myths.
    So I prefer to look to anthropology and archaeology to supply with the untold answers.
    And I visited many archaeology museums and dig sites. As well as studied many (I do mean many) books on these subjects. I particularly prefer Marjia Gimbutas' interpretation of ancient world.
    This is not an extremist point of view, although only after her passing, a few "scholars" tend to state so. But I feel that her study as well as books are better visualizations of what happened before his-story even started.

So instead naming "history" book, here are some of the books I used

"The Civilization of the Goddess, The World of Old Europe", Marija Gimbutas, 1991

Here is a fictional book but nevertheless a good illustration of time before men's dominance.

"The Year the Horsemen Came" is a fictional which provides a good visualization of how these people might have lived.

What type of combat will be incorporated into ATW 7.0?

I had to study combat simulation as well as providing analysis on combat study, and would like to apply modern concepts to whatever period.

So in Amazons Total War 7.0 series. We aimed to create a battlefield environment a players can apply as many modern concepts to the game as possible.
    1. Wagon Warfare, allowing panzer/armored like tactics to be used on the ancient battlefield.
    2. Area Denial "Minefield" Warfare, allowing highly developed culture to deploy field engineers to build "barrier" of command detonated mines or booby-traps before the battle.
    3. Super-heating Incendiary Weapons, now also known as the Thermite munition.
    4. Guerrilla Warfare, allowing an agent to infiltrate into enemy territory to raise an army deep behind the enemy line.
    5. Long Range Mobile Artillery
    6. Mobility and Stand-off capability through the deployment of numerous women cavalry units.

In Amazons Total War 7.0, I also try to introduce some old forms of fighting method or weapon people rarely heard, such as the Linked Armor-Clad Cavalry formation.
    This is the cavalry fighting technique allowing Eurasian People such as Khitan, Tangut, and Jurchen to become superpower of their days.
    Jurchen is said never to lose a single battle when they deployed the Linked Armor-Clad Cavalry.

What is your favorite feature that will be in Amazon TW?

As I have replied to the previous question, we are super excited to have all the features I just described above incorporated to the 7.0 series mod. The Linked Armor-Clad Cavalry, in particular, would be the first time any mod or even video game ever had such fighting formation.

What is the biggest problem that you see in the world outside of TWC?

I think there are too many believers who blindly followed what they believed without first truly understand what their "faith" is really about.
    And I don't mean this only in the religious context.
    One example, when I asked about if Rome II would have woman as ruler of a state (i.e. the provision to allow different gender to rule). A few people (none of them from CA, BTW) flooded back with messages saying all kind of nasty and nonsensical things just so, they hope, women will be left out as ruling class of any faction in Rome II. So when I listed about a hundred women rulers even down to Alexander and Caesar's time, these people came back with even more messages filled with anger and rage, stating all kinds of disqualifying or discrediting "logic" to try to justify the exclusion of women as rulers in Rome II. The most ridiculous one being that because there were four women on the "ruling list" I provided who only ruled about four years, that is deemed "too short" as ruler, and therefore the "entire" list should be thrown out, and the bottom line, they argued, still is that women should not be part of a ruling caste in Rome II game engine. My answer to these comments is that if fours years are too short, than Sulla only "ruled" Rome for a few month, and Julius Caesar was "in power", if we can even call it that, less than four years, so by their logic, are we going to preclude Caesar or Sulla from Rome II as well?

That was just an example of many, about how people followed a blind "belief" and never come to a realization why and how they arrive at certain state of mind.

What are your plans for your future at TWC and in real life?

We are very excited about the 7.0 Series mod, and after this, we intend to publish Amazons 7.0 mod on M2TW as well. We will continue to maintain the Amazons mods for both M2TW and RTW/BI game engines for as long as possible.
    In real life, things can not be better, as I am continuing to get permissions to visit ancient dig sites and continue to discover more and more fascinating facets of human existence. Perhaps we will strive to incorporate the new discovery in the future mods.

Two of them are already on the drawing board. One is an infantry support chariot and the second one is the Artillery Launched Area Denial Munition.

I recently uncovered some fascinating description from UCLA library, translated from Chinese to English, on how the China's Warring Kingdom foot soldiers were actually assigned to heavy chariots by squads. When an assault started, each squad would follow their assigned chariot and use the chariot as cover to move towards the enemy position. As they approach the enemy battle line, the heavy chariot would also provide fire suppression as well as tank-on-tank battle. Finally, when they reached the enemy line, the chariot would attempt to breach into the enemy formation with its squad of infantry following closely behind to exploit that breach. This sounds almost identical the WWII infantry support armor tactics. I actually provided white paper description on how to implement such tactics using RTW/BI or M2TW game engine. We would use the RTW war-dog unit as baseline and in this case, animation-wise, the squad of soldiers would be the dogs and the dog handlers would the chariot. When commanded to attack the enemy, the handlers would charge with the dogs, except, unlike the vanilla RTW dog units, the handler would run faster because it is a chariot, so you would have a unit of chariots charging towards the enemy with the dogs (the foot soldiers) following closely behind.

On the Artillery Launched Area Denial Munition, it is a bit more challenging to come up with the animation. Basically it is stemmed from a Cold War Era armored doctrine which states that when enemy attacked en masse, the best way is to use artillery or air-support to lay a barrier of minefields directly in front and behind the enemy's advancing formation. Once the advance got stalled because of the dynamically created the minefield barriers, the real fire power would then be used to concentrate on destroying the trapped enemy formation. The United States Area Denial Artillery Munition (ADAM) is a family of US land mines and 155 mm artillery projectiles (M692/M731) which were specifically created to support this doctrine.

But in the ancient battlefield, it is not hard to imagine a commander orders buckets of caltrops (tetrahedral spikes) to be loaded onto catapults or ballistas to be launched at a predetermined location to stop an enemy charge, or even to prevent their retreat.

Is there anything else you would like to say?

On closing, I want to say "Thank You" for this opportunity. It is great to be able to share our thoughts and ideas with the community through this interview.

As the final words of this particular session, I would like to say that I do wish one day the RTW/BI engine or even the original MTW engine (not M2TW) would become public domain, so people are free to add to the game engine as well as correct its existing bugs. As a matter of fact, personally I actually like the original MTW AI better than RTW's AI. But regardless of which, perhaps if we can establish an open source community where people are free to add or to contribute to that environment, that would help a great deal to free all the modders from current game engine restriction.

Another approach would be, since we (the modders) already know all the file format and interface standard, then perhaps we can create a clone RTW/BI game engine or M2TW game engine where the new engine would be open source, and being able to read all the M2TW as well as RTW/BI files, so all the RTW/BI as well as M2TW mods can be played on this new platform instead of being restricted to the bugs of the proprietary engine.

© The Silver Shield a publication of the Total War Center local moderators organization: The Silver Auxilia

Last edited by SonofPeverel; February 02, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

HOUSE OF HADER

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Silver Shield: 18th Edition

Great edition guys. Loved everyone's articles

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Good job everyone!

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Great work everyone! Very enjoyable read

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Haas's Avatar Miles

tl;dr

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Great job guys.

Excellent stuff, rep to all of course

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

ErgoSumm's Avatar Miles

Great work, love to see all the pent up creativity of TWC!
    Up there, above that line, is pure, unadulterated idiocy.

"May My Faulty Logic Undermine Your Entire Philosophy!"

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

The cartoons might be a bit outdated, as I made them a while ago
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

When is the next issue coming out?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!